Shift for Broadfoot?

Danny

Surely the management have to take some blame in all of this for the lack of foresight they showed in January?

Hutton left and we were then left with Whittaker and Broadfoot.

From what i gather, Smith doesnt (or didnt) fancy Whittaker at right back. Surely he should have brought in a cheap, natural alternative for the position?

For what its worth, i dont rate Broadfoot at all but once he gets going in a match he can actually play some decent stuff. The second half against Fiorentina springs to mind.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could pull up some options, such as, how many goals did we concede in Europe with him in the side? Not many at all, plus, we got to a final.

They also say defenders dont get anywhere near their best until late 20s, and, I suppose Weir is an example of that too.

I remember Craig Moore being gash for us, then, left, came back, was far far better.

So, as defensive cover, got no real issue with him, as 1st pick, different story

It's other things that hamper the team though, like the right mid/right hand side CM having to continually help him out.

I was at Ibrox for the 0-0 game v Sporting, and I was appauled at the amount of times that Davis and Hemdani had to cover for him.

You mention Moore and Weir....they went away to arguably better leagues to improve themselves. You're never going to see a Championship or Premiership club take Broadfoot for work experience ;)

Isnt that called teamwork? :craphead:

I know I did, I that was more of a reply to the age thing, essentially he has time on his side as a defender

It is called teamwork, but I never ever saw them having to help out Hutton.

I don't ever even see them having to help out Whittaker, in the rare occasions when Walter plays him in his natural position.

RB isn't KB's natural position though, and on top of that he is more comfortable playing with his left foot than his right.

I just think he is being unfairly singled out, the same criticism could be thrown at Fergie for not being imposing enough on the centre of the park, McGregor for punting the ball up the park and missing out the midfield, KT for getting booked all the time, Boyd for not being able to play as a single striker.

I agree he shouldn't be first pick, but people seem to conveniently forget that he was put in at the deep end and was expected to live up to the levels that Hutton finally managed to reach, and it took Hutton quite a few seasons to actually live up to our expectations.

I seem to remember watching him in a few games where he put in timely tackles and blocks when oppostition players were in on goal, again these instances seem to be conveniently forgotten about.

I really hope in time that young Fleck doesn't have some bad games when he does get to play properly as I would hate to see the criticism that might start flying at him.

KB has nothing whatsoever to recommend him for a job with Rangers FC.

Total pish player who with his mere presence in OUR team-on TV all around the world-means I cringe when I tell any foreigners whom I support.Keep thinkin theyre running it thru their head"is that not that team of 11 defenders with a wingless Flamingo for a right back.

What an embarrasment.

From what i gather, Smith doesnt (or didnt) fancy Whittaker at right back

Let's hope thats not the case because he's not a LB and will never be a midfielder. If he plays then it has to be at RB. I just wouldn't play him at all. Both he and Broadfoot are brutal!

Can't believe the criticism he gets at times, saw him when he came a bit more central during games and looked a lot better than being on the right. As cover for different areas of defence he is good enough, but only as cover. As for the foul throws rubbish, I saw Novo being penalised for foul throws, and in other games, not only in the SPL, but in Europe the amount of players I saw do foul throws was unbelievable.

My thoughts too PiB. (tu)

Broadfoot was signed as a centreback, not a fullback. People have written him off before he's had a game in his true position.

Let's hope thats not the case because he's not a LB and will never be a midfielder. If he plays then it has to be at RB. I just wouldn't play him at all. Both he and Broadfoot are brutal!

Walter Smith said when Whittaker signed that his future was in midfield, and in his last season at Hibs he played in midfield almost as often as he did at fullback.

You could pull up some options, such as, how many goals did we concede in Europe with him in the side? Not many at all, plus, we got to a final.

They also say defenders dont get anywhere near their best until late 20s, and, I suppose Weir is an example of that too.

I remember Craig Moore being gash for us, then, left, came back, was far far better.

So, as defensive cover, got no real issue with him, as 1st pick, different story

It's other things that hamper the team though, like the right mid/right hand side CM having to continually help him out.

I was at Ibrox for the 0-0 game v Sporting, and I was appauled at the amount of times that Davis and Hemdani had to cover for him.

You mention Moore and Weir....they went away to arguably better leagues to improve themselves. You're never going to see a Championship or Premiership club take Broadfoot for work experience ;)

Isnt that called teamwork? :craphead:

I know I did, I that was more of a reply to the age thing, essentially he has time on his side as a defender

It is called teamwork, but I never ever saw them having to help out Hutton.

I don't ever even see them having to help out Whittaker, in the rare occasions when Walter plays him in his natural position.

RB isn't KB's natural position though, and on top of that he is more comfortable playing with his left foot than his right.

I just think he is being unfairly singled out, the same criticism could be thrown at Fergie for not being imposing enough on the centre of the park, McGregor for punting the ball up the park and missing out the midfield, KT for getting booked all the time, Boyd for not being able to play as a single striker.

I agree he shouldn't be first pick, but people seem to conveniently forget that he was put in at the deep end and was expected to live up to the levels that Hutton finally managed to reach, and it took Hutton quite a few seasons to actually live up to our expectations.

I seem to remember watching him in a few games where he put in timely tackles and blocks when oppostition players were in on goal, again these instances seem to be conveniently forgotten about.

I really hope in time that young Fleck doesn't have some bad games when he does get to play properly as I would hate to see the criticism that might start flying at him.

KB has nothing whatsoever to recommend him for a job with Rangers FC.

Total pish player who with his mere presence in OUR team-on TV all around the world-means I cringe when I tell any foreigners whom I support.Keep thinkin theyre running it thru their head"is that not that team of 11 defenders with a wingless Flamingo for a right back.

What an embarrasment.

Hopefully the American/Canadian Bears can confirm this, but didn't the US presenters say, during the UEFA Cup Final, that Broadfoot was playing as well as, if not better than, the rest of our outfield players?

I'm too lazy too look back to the actual match thread, but I'm sure CR said as much during the game. So maybe KB isn't the total embarrassment that some would have us believe. Yes, he looks out-of-place at fullback. No, he doesn't look like an athlete. But he's nowhere near as bad as some of the OTT criticism of him suggests.

Walter Smith said when Whittaker signed that his future was in midfield, and in his last season at Hibs he played in midfield almost as often as he did at fullback.

And was poor in midfield. He simply isn't a midfielder. Play him at RB or dont play him at all.

Hopefully the American/Canadian Bears can confirm this, but didn't the US presenters say, during the UEFA Cup Final, that Broadfoot was playing as well as, if not better than, the rest of our outfield players?

I'm too lazy too look back to the actual match thread, but I'm sure CR said as much during the game. So maybe KB isn't the total embarrassment that some would have us believe. Yes, he looks out-of-place at fullback. No, he doesn't look like an athlete. But he's nowhere near as bad as some of the OTT criticism of him suggests.

Thats American TV though, they call football 'Soccer' (which annoys me than Lee McCulloch, Standard Chicken and my Dad being an alcoholic put together almost), call Goalies 'Net-protectors' and have George Bush as President ffs! :lol:

Thats says it all! :craphead:

We so were!

I've yet to watch it back, seen the goals like about 2 or 3 times and twice the highlights but I've cried every time bar one.

Broadfoot,Adam,Miller,Cousin and Papac should all be playing for a 1st divsion team :bye:

Papac in the 1st division? You on crack mate?

Cuellar and Shagger aside, he was our best player last season.

Thomson? Weir?

Broadfoot,Adam,Miller,Cousin and Papac should all be playing for a 1st divsion team :bye:

Papac in the 1st division? You on crack mate?

Cuellar and Shagger aside, he was our best player last season.

So your saying Papac is a better player than Thomson,Weir,Boyd,Ferguson and Davis?

Face it,Papac isn't fit to be a Rangers LB :harhar: