RST - Let it sink without trace

ScotBear

The RST was a great idea, and it had some great people involved. However, there were also clearly some bad apples, and this element have managed to manouvere themselves into a position of influence.

I was never a member of the RST, and I always had my criticisms and concerns. However, I liked the idea and the fact that good work was done by the good members is undeniable. Now though, it is potentially a vehicle for an unsavoury element of our support to gain more exposure and arguably a degree of power.

Rather than the RST potentially being a positive body for it's members, the fans and the club in general......in my view, it can now only be a hinderance and cause future embarrassment.

I'd urge all non-members to not sign up. I'd urge all members to abandon ship ASAP. Let it sink, let it die and lets hope that in future other supporters bodies, old or new, can make a positive contribution.

It seems quite clear that the RST cannot be saved, certainly not in terms of offering representation that mirrors the majority of Rangers supporters.

There was a time where it could be argued that joining the RST could help move us forwards. Now I believe that it can only take us backwards.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The RST was a great idea, Now though, it is potentially a vehicle for an unsavoury element of our support to gain more exposure and arguably a degree of power. I'd urge all members to abandon ship ASAP.

Nail on the head, back of the net - I'm finished with my RST membership. I find the idea of Dingwall representing the voice of The Rangers support appalling.

Can't believe this nonsense.

If you don't like the current direction join up and change it.

Bottom line is the members are in charge, it's just dumb to take a hissy fit, stamp your feet and leave when something happens that you don't like.

But then some folk have always had an agenda against the trust, whoever is on the Board.

Bottom line is the members are in charge, it's just dumb to take a hissy fit, stamp your feet and leave when something happens that you don't like.

But then some folk have always had an agenda against the trust, whoever is on the Board.

AGREE With You Mannticore :unionflag: :unionflag: :unionflag:

In it's current state the RST is a laughing stock, no doubt about. In-fighting and the turmoil of great ambassadors for the organisation resigning has brought the organisation to its knees.

But i for one will not be cancelling my membership nor do i urge non-members not to sign up. If you are so eager for the Trust not to become the mouthpiece of FF then join up and create positive change from within. Urging members on here not to join or jump ship isn't going to stop your worst fears of Mark Dingwall running the RST become a reality.

Your post just stinks of the typical apathy among the wider Rangers support to the way things are run at our club. Yes lets all just leave the RST, do nothing to put pressure on SDM to listen to the oppinions of the supporters and continue to allow the soul of Rangers to be torn out by money and big business.

What's the point eh?

It certainly looks like it needs a name change at the moment.....

Yes, how about...The Proddy Fuck The Pope There Ain't No BLack In The Union Jack Big Jock Knew No One Likes Us We Don't Care Supporters Trust?

I really don't understand this line of......well if you don't like it, join up to try and change things.

I mean, what ?! That's a line that's been used for years, and was always being thrown around on FollowFollow to those with criticisms or queries. It really makes no sense to put your own money into an organisation that you lack trust and respect in. An extreme example, but I hate the BNP.......doesn't mean I'm going to pay, join up and attempt to make a difference !

So no, I don't think it's 'apathy' to not join the Trust at this time. Merely common sense and a recognition of the recent embarrassing events.

Yes, how about...The Proddy Fuck The Pope There Ain't No BLack In The Union Jack Big Jock Knew No One Likes Us We Don't Care Supporters Trust?

Imagine fitting that on the press releases.

TPFTPTANBITUJBJKNOLUWDCST anyone?

I see where you are coming from with that fella, but, there is every possibility that those in charge "could" take the same attitude towards things as happens on another forum, so, by signing up, you would assist them by numbers and finance, but, not be in a position to change anything, as everything attempted would not be passed.

The goings on, for me, would lead to a general lack of trust in the trust (bad sentence!). I wasnt a member, for my own reasons, but, I would have to say, and am sure several would agree, that people would be more likely to join in with a similar organisation started by or containing those RST members/directors who have resigned. Wouldnt you agree?

where do i join. :lol:

The RST was a great idea, and it had some great people involved. However, there were also clearly some bad apples, and this element have managed to manouvere themselves into a position of influence.

I was never a member of the RST, and I always had my criticisms and concerns. However, I liked the idea and the fact that good work was done by the good members is undeniable. Now though, it is potentially a vehicle for an unsavoury element of our support to gain more exposure and arguably a degree of power.

Rather than the RST potentially being a positive body for it's members, the fans and the club in general......in my view, it can now only be a hinderance and cause future embarrassment.

I'd urge all non-members to not sign up. I'd urge all members to abandon ship ASAP. Let it sink, let it die and lets hope that in future other supporters bodies, old or new, can make a positive contribution.

It seems quite clear that the RST cannot be saved, certainly not in terms of offering representation that mirrors the majority of Rangers supporters.

There was a time where it could be argued that joining the RST could help move us forwards. Now I believe that it can only take us backwards.

What a truly pathetic post. Do you personally know the 20 people who form the RST Board and how are they 'bad apples'? Regardless of what you say the RST is very much alive and kicking and will not be going away. Give me your idea of what a supporters body can do to make a positive contribution and what kind of representation 'mirrors the majority of Rangers supporters'. What would have made you join the RST?

[What a truly pathetic post. Do you personally know the 20 people who form the RST Board and how are they 'bad apples'? Regardless of what you say the RST is very much alive and kicking and will not be going away. Give me your idea of what a supporters body can do to make a positive contribution and what kind of representation 'mirrors the majority of Rangers supporters'. What would have made you join the RST?

Bonjour Monsieur 3 Posts. Been a member (lurker) since January, but only now decide to jump in when the RST is on the rocks. Hmmmm ;)

I believe that an organisation similar in nature to the RST has a place. However it needs to have more than a thousand paid up members. It must represent the fans who go on a saturday, the fans who subscribe to setanta and buy a strip, and the fans across the world that get up at crazy times to watch matches at their local club. How do you gain that support - I have no idea.

As has been said, there is a great amount of empahty amongst fans - a lot of fans are happy to take pot shots (is that a phrase?) from the sides instead of getting involved. But people have got their own daily problems to face - mortgages, jobs, kids - so for those who are willing to give up a sizeable amount of their time to 'represent' the fans, I admire their dedication but in order for them to gain my respect, they dont need to represent my views, but they have to give me confidence that they represent their members views - not their own agenda.

I really don't understand this line of......well if you don't like it, join up to try and change things.

I mean, what ?! That's a line that's been used for years, and was always being thrown around on FollowFollow to those with criticisms or queries. It really makes no sense to put your own money into an organisation that you lack trust and respect in. An extreme example, but I hate the BNP.......doesn't mean I'm going to pay, join up and attempt to make a difference !

So no, I don't think it's 'apathy' to not join the Trust at this time. Merely common sense and a recognition of the recent embarrassing events.

The RST's primary aim is for the Rangers supporters to one day buy the club. Over time certain members' egos have gotten in the way of the true goals of the organisation in favour of personal ambition. Unfortunately this is the case with ALL organisations, it is simply human nature. But for anyone to say that letting the only independant Rangers supporter' organisation "sink" is a good idea i simply do not understand your line of thought.

Fair enough, those at Board level may not be the best people to take the Trust forward and even regain the respect of Rangers fans or the club itself. But it dissapoints me greatly to see such an attitude from most supporters. Alot of you are the same people who will complain about season tickets being to high or not enough funds being given to the manager while on a public messageboard but are you actively trying to do something to change it?

The Trust is currently in a massive downturn and there is absolutely no trust from the membership towards the current Board. That won't go away until a completely new set of Board members are elected, not the best mates of the current Board members some of which can't even be bothered to turn up to be elected. A new start and a fresh emphasis is required now but it is not unachievable for the organisation to reach the same level of representation as it had at its peak before the resignations and in-fighting began.

I believe that an organisation similar in nature to the RST has a place. However it needs to have more than a thousand paid up members. It must represent the fans who go on a saturday, the fans who subscribe to setanta and buy a strip, and the fans across the world that get up at crazy times to watch matches at their local club. How do you gain that support - I have no idea.

As has been said, there is a great amount of empahty amongst fans - a lot of fans are happy to take pot shots (is that a phrase?) from the sides instead of getting involved. But people have got their own daily problems to face - mortgages, jobs, kids - so for those who are willing to give up a sizeable amount of their time to 'represent' the fans, I admire their dedication but in order for them to gain my respect, they dont need to represent my views, but they have to give me confidence that they represent their members views - not their own agenda.

I completely agree with this. I do believe the RST itself has a big part to play amongst the Rangers support but unfortunately at the moment it is riddled with personal ambition instead of caring about the ordinary fans like you and me.

[What a truly pathetic post. Do you personally know the 20 people who form the RST Board and how are they 'bad apples'? Regardless of what you say the RST is very much alive and kicking and will not be going away. Give me your idea of what a supporters body can do to make a positive contribution and what kind of representation 'mirrors the majority of Rangers supporters'. What would have made you join the RST?

Bonjour Monsieur 3 Posts. Been a member (lurker) since January, but only now decide to jump in when the RST is on the rocks. Hmmmm ;)

So you'd rather talk about my post count than answer my question. Hmmmm.

The RST's primary aim is for the Rangers supporters to one day buy the club. Over time certain members' egos have gotten in the way of the true goals of the organisation in favour of personal ambition. Unfortunately this is the case with ALL organisations, it is simply human nature. But for anyone to say that letting the only independant Rangers supporter' organisation "sink" is a good idea i simply do not understand your line of thought.

Fair enough, those at Board level may not be the best people to take the Trust forward and even regain the respect of Rangers fans or the club itself. But it dissapoints me greatly to see such an attitude from most supporters. Alot of you are the same people who will complain about season tickets being to high or not enough funds being given to the manager while on a public messageboard but are you actively trying to do something to change it?

The Trust is currently in a massive downturn and there is absolutely no trust from the membership towards the current Board. That won't go away until a completely new set of Board members are elected, not the best mates of the current Board members some of which can't even be bothered to turn up to be elected. A new start and a fresh emphasis is required now but it is not unachievable for the organisation to reach the same level of representation as it had at its peak before the resignations and in-fighting began.

Thats a very good point. Also would turn away potential members. I think the resignations were badly handled, plus, there was also too much secrecy about what was happening, apparently to members. Its a bit like labour in the 80s, they lost all the trust of the people, and had to become "new labour" to get back in any way. I think that, sadly, is where the trust stands at the moment. For me, it does not look like an attractive/safe organisation to invest time, effort or money in, regardless of the original aims of it.

What a truly pathetic post. Do you personally know the 20 people who form the RST Board and how are they 'bad apples'? Regardless of what you say the RST is very much alive and kicking and will not be going away. Give me your idea of what a supporters body can do to make a positive contribution and what kind of representation 'mirrors the majority of Rangers supporters'. What would have made you join the RST?

The way they conducted themselves over the last couple of months is exactly what would make people NOT join. Surely anyone could see that?

I am a member and will be in no hurry to leave. I don't know Mr Dingwall but don't particularly like the way he runs his forum. I do know some of the guys that are still there and I have every faith in the likes of John Gilligan. The split is very unwelcome and I am extremely disappointed that the 7 did not make an appearance at the SGM to state their position and debate in an open forum. I will wait and see how things pan out before I make any rash judgement like now the RST should go under. I will not take sides because someone else decides it's not the way they want things run.

The way they conducted themselves over the last couple of months is exactly what would make people NOT join. Surely anyone could see that?

Yes but they were in existence for 5 years before this. The OP said it was a good idea, had good people on board yet he never joined. I simply asked him what would have made him join.

Yes but they were in exixtence for 5 years before this. The OP said it was a good idea, had good people on board yet he never joined. I simply asked him what would have made him join.

There is a snowballing effect with membership. Currently you represnt 1000 fans. Whilst you may actually represent more, this is all you can currently lay claim to. If you represented 10,000, or 50,000 (potentially unrealistic numbers - i'm just using it as an example) - then even if you didnt fully represent my views, if you represented enough 'true rangers fans, then I woudl be willing to financially support such an organisation - I think other rangers fans may hold similar views.

You need to satisfy two aims to get my money.

1. you actually represent the views of the vast majority of members - not all members as that is impossible, but the vast majority.

2. you have sufficient numbers that you can lay claim to represent the majority of fans who fund RFC.

I am still a member, not that long joined, maybe a year, I will wait and see what happens. Im not active in the Trust at all, but I did like the idea of a body like the Trust having direct contact with the club.