Walter on Kaunas, after watching them.

Boab

WALTER SMITH today singled out Brazilian striker Rafael Ledesma as the biggest threat to Rangers' Champions League dreams.

The Ibrox manager ran the rule over FBK Kaunas last night as they moved to the top of the Lithuanian league on goal difference thanks to a 1-0 win over FK Suduva in the Darius Ir Gireno stadium.

As assistant manager Ally McCoist put the Rangers players through their paces at Murray Park yesterday, Smith took the opportunity to watch their likely European opponents in the second round qualification tie for himself.

After meeting up with Ian Durrant, who has been in the Baltic state since watching Kaunas on domestic business over the weekend, Smith was left in no doubt as to who will be the main threat to his side if, as expected, the Lithuanian's overcome Andorran minnows Santa Coloma in the first round.

And the player uppermost in his thoughts was the man who netted the only goal of the game. The 25 year-old former Atletico Mineiro star Ledesma - also known as Gaucho - was voted the best player in the Lithuanian league last season after joining in the summer of 2006. And he certainly caught the eye of the Ibrox gaffer.

"The Brazilian lad, Ledesma, looks to be a bit of a player," said Smith. "He was the one I thought stood out from the rest of the bunch.

"He scored the only goal of the game, was a bit of a handful for the FK Suduva defence and is an intelligent player. By all accounts, he enjoyed a really good season at Kaunas last season and was the top player in the Lithuanian league.

"So, providing it's Kaunas we meet in the second qualifying round, then he is someone we will give close attention to."

Having watched Kaunas in person, Smith knows exactly what the Ibrox men will face on July 30 at Ibrox, assuming it's the Lithuanians who arrive in Scotland for the first-leg of their crucial clash.

He said: "We know have a good idea of what we might face if it's Kaunas who we find ourselves playing against.

"Ian Durrant has watched them and I decided to come across and have a look at them myself as we will be away at our pre-season training camp next week and I won't get a chance to watch them again.

"And we also had a close look at them last season when we thought we might have faced them at the same stage last term but they lost of FC Zeta, which was a bit of a surprise. So they are a team we know a fair bit about."

Smith says they deserved to record a 1-0 win of FK Suduka in front of their own fans in the same stadium he guided Scotland to a 2-1 victory over Lithuania last September, during the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

"Kaunas deserved to win the game," said Smith. "They went ahead after 10 minutes through Ledesma and were the stronger team throughout the duration of the match.

"That victory took them back to the top of the league on goal difference so it was an important win for them.

"On the downside, their goalkeeper Marian Kello was sent-off for pulling down an opponent outside the penalty area so they finished the game with 10 men. But they were still worthy of their win."

Kaunas have former Hearts players Tomas Kancelskis and Linas Pilibaitas in their ranks and Smith has made it clear to his team they are a side with players more than capable of performing and making life tough for his team.

He said: "Kaunas were pretty much what I expected them to be. They are well organised, have a good standard of play and work hard.

"They've got some players who have played for other clubs, such as Hearts, before returning to the Lithuanian league so they also have experience.

"But if we do our homework properly, which we have, then we know what we are facing and it's then up to us to go about our business in the right fashion and hopefully progress to the next round.

"I don't have to remind any of my players how important it is to enjoy a good European campaign and after performing well in the Champions League last season, and then reaching the Uefa Cup Final, we are looking to build on that this campaign."

Publication date 10/07/08

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...kaunas_king.php