Too many strikers a waste of resources?

We are constantly hearing that money is tight at Rangers. Why then is WS wasting valuable financial resources on an excess of 1st team strikers?

By my reckoning we currently have as many as nine forwards in the first team squad (the 3 new signings, Boyd, Darch, Novo, Cousin, Naismith and McCulloch at a push). Even allowing for a 4-4-2 with 2 more strikers on the bench, that still leaves up to five highly paid but unhappy players sitting in the stand every week. For me, that's too many, a waste of our scant resources and poor financial management.

Granted Naismith is a long-term injury, but I still think WS needs to be ruthless and move on those whom he knows will be bit-part players this season. Cousin and Gow are expected to move and Novo and Darch should join them because (rightly or wrongly) I'm guessing they wont play ahead of the 3 new signings. The sale of that quartet could raise another few million for the kitty and free up say £50k a week (?) in wages. That money could be better spent on genuine quality (not quantity) in other more needy areas of the team.

I realise it's not always that simple to move surplus players on, but that should be the managers intention.

Any thoughts?

think i will just copy and paste what i said before on the subject

"Well, i suppose, the argument would be, Cousin isnt interested, naismith is injured long term, JCD cant last a match, Boyd does nothing but score, Nacho has heart and nothing else, so, all of a sudden, doesnt look like an area that DOESNT need strengthening?"

Agree with you mate. Although i think we need about 5 strikers in the squad the current number is just too much. McCulloch should be first out the door. Money generated, provided we dont let them leave for free(you know what we are like), should be spent on a quality midfielder. Fullbacks need strengthened too.

Novo could be used as a winger so is a decent backup to keep, althoough i dont think the wee man weill get many starts unless WS plans on using him on the opposite flank to Beasley

Cousin should be gone, Lee could follow him for me, but, part of me thinks he ill stay. JCD is kinda like Weir for me, probably good to have around, but, not near a first pick now.

I like Nacho, and, he has a knack o producing when we need it

Who knowswe may go 4-3-3 haha, then we have about the right number (yep, thats crazy talk)

Cousin should be gone, Lee could follow him for me, but, part of me thinks he ill stay. JCD is kinda like Weir for me, probably good to have around, but, not near a first pick now.

Who knowswe may go 4-3-3 haha, then we have about the right number (yep, thats crazy talk)

4-3-3???

Would be nice but is indeed.............CRAZY TALK!! :harhar:

I agree with the serious bit, and reckon we have to realise that McCulloch and Novo are mainly restricted to the wide areas.

Getting in 3 strikers then releasing 3 would be useless.

When we were down in games and all be had to bring on as subs were Boyd and Cousin, you know we were in trouble. JCD only finished a few 90 minutes too.