Doom and gloom merchants

Some of our "fans" really need to have a reality check.

Yes, we follow a great club but we're stuck in a poor league.

The NIAR started when the English were banned from Europe so it was easy to entice good English players to Ibrox, towards the end SDM overspent to chase the dream of NIAR and European success. All throuh this period Celtic were in a financial mess.

Big Eck came in and did a good job in a period where our finances were in a mess...agreed, he didn't have the skills to take us forward but I think he could have had stayed and worked with more forward thinking coach...dare I say WGS. Don't think either are that good, but I think the sum would have been much greater than the individual parts.

We then got the much heralded PLG who took us backwards and although he didn't spend much I probably cost us a small fortune to get rid of him and the rubbish he brought.

Now, Walter has came in and steadied the ship, sorted out the defence, brought us closer to Celtic in the league and taken us to a European final. Yes, not a successful season but compare it to the previous season where we were out of all competitions by February.

We have to get behind Walter and co, and see where he can take us. Just because we can't/won't pay top dollar for mediocre foreigners doesn't mean we won't beat Celtic this year. King Carlos didn't cost us a fortune!! Boumsong was a bosman.

The NIAR started when the English were banned from Europe so it was easy to entice good English players to Ibrox, towards the end SDM overspent to chase the dream of NIAR and European success. All throuh this period Celtic were in a financial mess.

Big Eck came in and did a good job in a period where our finances were in a mess...agreed, he didn't have the skills to take us forward but I think he could have had stayed and worked with more forward thinking coach...dare I say WGS. Don't think either are that good, but I think the sum would have been much greater than the individual parts.

We then got the much heralded PLG who took us backwards and although he didn't spend much I probably cost us a small fortune to get rid of him and the rubbish he brought.

Now, Walter has came in and steadied the ship, sorted out the defence, brought us closer to Celtic in the league and taken us to a European final. Yes, not a successful season but compare it to the previous season where we were out of all competitions by February.

We have to get behind Walter and co, and see where he can take us. Just because we can't/won't pay top dollar for mediocre foreigners doesn't mean we won't beat Celtic this year. King Carlos didn't cost us a fortune!! Boumsong was a bosman.

brought us closer to celtic :lol: we were miles in front of them and still walter managed to blow it.

brought us closer to celtic :lol: we were miles in front of them and still walter managed to blow it.

The squad didn't cope. There is no way WS could have forseen the fixture pile-up and injuries when he could have done something about it. However, I believe if he had used his squad better, at an earlier stage, it could have coped, but then again hindsight is a wonderful tool.

A. Who got us there.

B. I don't agree he blew it. I refer you to the SPL and SFA refs. Injury and fixture congestion also played a role.

Excellent post, mate. I agree with virtually all of it.

Some posters really need to seperate 'negativity' from 'realism'.

Yes, they do, but they are you doom and gloom merchants.

yes we are all happy how many titles have we won in the last eight years.?

The honest truth is everyone is very nervous about this season. We must have patience and see who Walter brings in.

There is still time, but the current signings have surprised most of us.

It is obvious we need to bring in two midfielders and perhaps a CH and a FB.

We can but hope. I try to be optimistic, but like most others I am nervous.

Currently I am being patient as there is a lot of time left in the transfer window, but much less time until the crunch comes.

Go from patient to nervous all the time.

I know it's Crazy to think..... if it wasn't for Mcleish 2 titles!, one was won on Goal difference,and the other one due to Scott Mcdonald !

They would be going for 9inarow this year (td)

Walter Smith has only Papered over the Cracks from PLG reign,We Overachieved last season unless quality is brought in we'll be in for a very long season

It's a work in progress, not finished by a long chalk. I agree we overachieved in UEFA Cup, which probably led to our downfall domestically. As I said, he sorted out the defence which was our biggest failing under PLG...funnily enough Souness started out by bolstering our defence back at the start of NIAR

I know it's Crazy to think..... if it wasn't for Mcleish 2 titles!, one was won on Goal difference,and the other one due to Scott Mcdonald !

No they wouldn't. Eck would have been replaced earlier and last season was their version of those two seasons, so it's a bit unrealistic and selective to say that.

The price we paid for NIAR and the Dutch rollercoaster

No they wouldn't. Eck would have been replaced earlier and last season was their version of those two seasons, so it's a bit unrealistic and selective to say that.

I'm only going with the SPL history and if it wasn't for McLeish 2 titles.

They would be going for 9inarow this Season (td)

But then you're being selective in gifting them two and allowing them to keep this season which is similar. Also, I'd argue that Martin O'Neill only got off to such a good start which gave him great momentum to win the league with his first Old Firm match in which they were 3 up in 11 minutes but shouldn't have been because all three were illegal goals and we had a goad goal an penalty disallowed. We should have won that match 4-3, but sadly it went the wrong way.

If it hadn't been for McLeish breaking Burcher's leg on 17th November '87, I think, it would have been 11 in a row. Without some luck, Jansen wouldn't have stopped that run, then with Advocaat's two titles you're up to 14 in a row and had O'Neill's first Old Firm game gone the way it should have, it would have been 15 in a row and goodbye Celtic permanently. After their near bankruptcy then being saved by McCann, so many "fans" would have left them.

I'm certain we'll win it this year, even though there may be a tricky start to the season with injuries.

But then you're being selective in gifting them two and allowing them to keep this season which is similar. Also, I'd argue that Martin O'Neill only got off to such a good start which gave him great momentum to win the league with his first Old Firm match in which they were 3 up in 11 minutes but shouldn't have been because all three were illegal goals and we had a goad goal an penalty disallowed. We should have won that match 4-3, but sadly it went the wrong way.

We've have had this out before Oleg, they are plenty of referee decisions on both sides that have swung games over the years.

Over the last 8 years, they have won 6 which could have been quite easily 8 IMO!

Which ain't good enough in a 2 team league

We've have had this out before Oleg, they are plenty of referee decisions on both sides that have swung games over the years.

Over the last 8 years, they have won 6 which could have been quite easily 8 IMO!

Which ain't good enough in a 2 team league

Yep. Exactly!

But you can't have your close calls if I can't have mine. You can't have it both ways in your efforts to have a more gloomy doom-ridden perspective.

To be honest, I genuinely they've had the better run of decisions for over 20 years.

Look at the whole Procurator Fiscal debacle in which MacAvennie was the instigator, yet referee Jim Duncan let him charge into Woods three times until Woods responded. Then Butcher got sent off for their keeper taking a dive as I recall.