Davie Weir on next season and playing as much as he can

Boab

Far from slipping into semi-retirement, David Weir will inherit even greater responsibilities when Rangers' pre-season sparring makes way for the Champions League eliminator.

The 38-year-old's body was bruised and battered after the exertions of a 68-game campaign last season. There was no hesitation in coming back for more. Now, with Barry Ferguson in recovery from ankle surgery, Weir is not only expected to re-establish his obdurate partnership with Carlos Cuellar, but also to assume the captaincy in Ferguson's absence.

"Of course, it would be a massive honour," he said, having led the team out against SC Preussen Munster. "It's great to be captain of Rangers even for one game and I would be delighted to do that but Barry is the captain of the club and I wish he was here, fit and with the armband on. It's up to the manager if I keep that role."

Whoever Smith decides to appoint as temporary captain (Allan McGregor is another contender), Weir is intent on continuing to confound age and expectation in his third season since joining from Everton in January 2006.

"I hope I get the opportunity to play another 60 games this season," he said. "If we have that number then it means we'll have had a successful season and that would be great for me. You don't know what is round the corner in this game but I want to play 60-odd matches. I think I can do that but I'm sure there will be players coming in to increase competition and that's the nature of life at this club."

Weir has, unwittingly, been a major factor in Rangers' search for another centre-back to intensify the competition. Andy Webster's loan deal has been made permanent but, having failed to make a senior appearance due to a long-standing knee problem, there is little prospect of him displacing Weir any time soon. Danny Shittu's proposed £1.5m transfer from Watford collapsed due to excessive wage demands but Weir's presence was a factor in Rangers refusing to pay £15,000 per week to a player who might have had to content himself with a seat among the substitutes.

"You have to earn your place every week," said Weir. "You need that competitive edge in your nature to succeed. I'm no different. Andy Webster has come back and we've seen the club has been trying to get another central defender as well but that's the way things should be at Rangers. Everyone here welcomes that competition. Like everything else in life, you can view these things as a positive or a negative.

I take more motivation from it."

Weir's experience has enabled Rangers to mount a serious challenge to Celtic's domestic dominance and gave Cuellar the confidence to flourish in his first season. Others have been encouraged to glean from his wisdom, none more so than Kirk Broadfoot, who has benefited greatly from one-on-one lessons in the art of defending.

Little wonder Rangers were keen to retain his services despite offers to return to England to be closer to his family. "I had some thinking to do in the summer but what made up my mind was really just speaking to my wife and kids," he said. "My wife was happy with me continuing and the kids are doing well at school."

He rejects the suggestion that losing the Clydesdale Bank Premier League on the final day of the season was motivation to return for one more season. "It would have been nice to win the league, don't get me wrong, just as it would have been with the UEFA Cup, but that wasn't why I came back," he said. "Getting the opportunity to play one game for Rangers is a fantastic thing and to have the opportunity to play another season is something I am delighted with.

"I really appreciate and enjoy playing for this club and I want to make it last."

He has no intention of announcing his international retirement for a second time, either, and could yet follow in the footsteps of Roger Milla, the former Cameroon striker, by playing in a World Cup at 40. "I've kept myself available and in the Scotland picture, so we will see what happens," he said. "It's up to the Scotland manager but, obviously, if I am playing for Rangers then I have a greater chance of getting into the Scotland team."

For now, he will undertake his 17th pre-season as a professional footballer with all the enthusiasm of the first one at Falkirk under Jim Jefferies. The Champions League qualifier against Santa Coloma or FBK Kaunas is the first of Weir's latest incentives to continue.

"I love it," he said. "Motivation comes every day, coming in each morning and trying to keep up with young boys. Then you want to get yourself in the team. You need self-motivation and I have that.

"The Champions League qualifier means we have to be ready to go quickly. Last season was just the same, so the boys know what is required. There is no room for error and we know we have to produce right from the start.

"This tour is massively important in making sure we are in the right shape. We play Schalke on Saturday and they are in the Champions League qualifiers as well. That will give us a good indication of where we stand."

© All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines...eason_again.php

I'm hoping he's including reserve games in that total. No offence to the big man but he's far too slow now and with him in the team we defend far too deep.

and kick arounds in the local park :mutley:

he is a good servant this is a season too far imo

he has done a great job for rangers , but his time is up

we defend far too deep to cover for weirs lack of pace , i do not look forward to weir humping the ball up the park for our lone striker to chase

we seen enough of this type of football last season

You're all taking the piss out of him, but with our current choice of CB's, he's my first choice to partner Cuellar by a country mile.

Which is why we're trying so desperately to sign another CB

Weir's underrated by so many fans.

He was superb last season, saved our arses many, many times.

He was quite rightly signed as a stop gap. He is nowhere near the quality our team needs to move forward, and should definately not be first choice next season. His lack of pace makes us play too deep and affects our midfield!

The thing is, he's probably as fast as the post-injury Webster, I'd have him in there before Dailly and I'd personally put myself in at CB before Broadfoot.

If the CB situation stays the same, he's my 1st choice even at 39.

If it was Charlie Adam and not Davie Weir who fecked up and cost us the game way back in Osasuna, he would have been hounded. If it was anyone else who's ball watching let Motherwell score from 3 yards in the 3rd last game they would be slaughtered. It cost us the league. Likewise when the Russians took the piss with the opener at coms.

And if defending on your own 18 yard line and never finding a man with a pass is your idea of fun so be it.

Davie Weir tried his best for Rangers, no doubt. But he merely showed how far our standards have slipped and for him to get another year is a joke.

The thing is, he's probably as fast as the post-injury Webster, I'd have him in there before Dailly and I'd personally put myself in at CB before Broadfoot.

If the CB situation stays the same, he's my 1st choice even at 39.

We should never have resigned Webster or Dailly! What a f*cking daft decision that was <cr>

I'd have him infront of both of them but he still wouldnt be my first choice. I'd rather we signed a quality partner for The King.

I think Weir is a great player but it showed at the end of the season that what little pace he did have had left him plus he was beginning to mis-time tackles and headers............still head and shoulders above Webster and bambi so unless we get a first choice CH then Weir starts for me.

I don't care how fit he is, I don't think we should be playing 39 year old players. Let him pass on his experience off the pitch, why hold back one of our younger players for him? You have to admit, at the end of last season he was becoming a liability, who can blame him though? I fully appreciate his efforts and he saved us from getting embarrassed when Walter came back.

Thanks for your efforts Davie but no thanks.