Defense Vs Attack

rfc_no1fan

WS likes to play defensively and try and nick games on the counter, Where as Strachan likes to play attacking football and score more than the opposition.

Our targets seems to be defensive, when we are really crying out for some attacking flair. Should we expect more of the same this year? Hanging on in games and looking to counter when possible?

If we go into the season playing the same way as we did last season there will only be one winner in the race for the SPL title. With no midfield (and no real sign of activity) it looks likely we will yet again rely on McGregor and Cuellar having exceptional seasons. This is not the Rangers way.

Defence can only hold out for so long and eventually the attacking side will break you down.

C'mon Walter, forget about the negative approach, put signing a Centre back on the back burner and sign someone who is attack minded. We wouldnt need a quality partner for Cuellar if we werent defending as much.

We bought three strikers...

You can only play 2

We have no midfield to lnik play, how are they going to get service?

(tu)

Was going to see the exact same thing, like having food but no waiters.

You can only play 2

How can we only play 2?

I think we'll play 3 actually. Lafferty will play on the left of attack, Miller/Novo on the right with Boyd/Velicka the central player.

As for service, that is questionable as we'll only have 3 midfielders, Thomson and Ferguson to hold with hopefully AN Other (Davis) to supply the strikers.

You can only play 2

How can we only play 2?

I think we'll play 3 actually. Lafferty will play on the left of attack, Miller/Novo on the right with Boyd/Velicka the central player.

As for service, that is questionable as we'll only have 3 midfielders, Thomson and Ferguson to hold with hopefully AN Other (Davis) to supply the strikers.

We might go 3 upfront

Ferguson is out till October at the earliest and we only have 1 midfielder who is worthy of a start, Kevin Thomson.

Also if we go three upfront, the fullbacks would need to get forward and support or it would turn into a 4-5-1 with 2 strikers playing in midfield.

You can only play 2

Well for a start, where is it written that "you can play only 2?"

And all this link buisness and absence of attacking quality, although I agree the standard of football has been piss poor of late and I do want to see a drastic improvement - we still managed to score exactly the same amount of goals in the league as the Tims (and more in Cups/Europe obviously) but conceded 7 more...

So perhaps Walter is looking to shore up the defence, hence the recent targets.

I have no problem with that.

(Last year final Table : http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ma...0080612,00.html )

You can only play 2

How can we only play 2?

I'd be happy with that kind of formation (tu)

If that's the case, then hopefully WS will adopt that kind of formation in the remaining pre-season games. Although that could be difficult with Barry out and no Davis/new midfielders? <cr>

You can only play 2

(tu)

Was going to see the exact same thing, like having food but no waiters.

i have food but no waiters, and i get by ok :harhar:

You can only play 2

How can we only play 2?

We might go 3 upfront

Ferguson is out till October at the earliest and we only have 1 midfielder who is worthy of a start, Kevin Thomson.

Also if we go three upfront, the fullbacks would need to get forward and support or it would turn into a 4-5-1 with 2 strikers playing in midfield.

In your opinion, I have no problem with Hemdani (POTY the year before) and with the window still open - anything can happen.

We might go 3 upfront

Also if we go three upfront, the fullbacks would need to get forward and support.

Ferguson may well be out but Hemdani and Thomson would both be ideal in the holding roles. It's the third player that we need to ensure is the right one. Davis would be suitable given his mobility and all-round game but if he's not coming (and it doesn't look like it) then we definitely need a similar player.

Adam is a central midfielder to trade but I don't think he has the engine or mobility to achieve consistency. Fleck is possibly too attacking for the role (it will require a defensive shift). McCulloch shouldn't be employed centrally and the less said about Dailly the better.

To conclude, we are capable of being attacking but we are still short of a box-to-box player to maximise our chances of such a system being successful.

If we want to playing 4-3-3

I think we are 4 players short. Lb, ch, cm, am

If we want to play 4-4-2

We are 3 players short. Ch, Am, Rm

IMO of course......

Looking at the 4-3-3:

We have two perfectly decent left backs - one who is more defensive than the other but will provide good cover for a weakened midfield compared to last season's usual 5. Whittaker (as with Hutton) is more attacking in nature anyway so it makes more sense for the left-back to be less so. If Smith can regain full fitness then the balance would be even better. I'd also like to see Kinniburgh promoted if Smith can't prove his long-term fitness.

We could do with another centre-half to compliment Cuellar but Weir and Webster provide adequate cover as it stands.

In midfield we certainly do need another player (Ferguson injured or not). A creative box-to-box type would be ideal and I'm disappointed we've not already secured one given we do have £3million to spend apparently. This is the most important position to strengthen IMO.

Again, our team can always be strengthened but we can't afford to make large-scale changes both in terms of finance and continuity.

If we want to playing 4-3-3

I think we are 4 players short. Lb, ch, cm, am

If we want to play 4-4-2

We are 3 players short. Ch, Am, Rm

IMO of course......

Agree with that with the exception of a LB, I think RB is desperate at present - I can't bear Broadfoot there so that would leave just Whittaker.

LB we have Sasa, Stevie Smith & Whittaker if needed. A dedicated LB would be nice, but I feel a RB is much more pressing - especially with the lack of an attacking RM in front of him.

But of course, it is all about opinions.