Once again who is it that digs us out a hole

scotgr

As I've said a million times, I sooooooo badly want him to start and score regularly in the CL and against the scummers.

Until then, I will continue to love his goals against the smaller teams but doubt his abilities against the best of the best. Worse players than Boyd have earned starts and scored in the CL, his teammate Miller beiing one.

Put simply, the furore around him scoring 2 against a German amateur team is yet again totally ridiculous, a trend becoming tiresome.

Personally, after last season, I'm 99.9% convinced by the lad. I won't be totally convinced until he earns a start and scores regularly at a higher level.

Any idea of using him as a sweetener in the Loovens deal is, nonetheless, bizarre.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as opposed to the furore around him had he missed 2 open goals against an amateur? or scored 10 goals last season or offered nothing to the team, the way people go on about him...

He hasn't proven himself in the CL yet, but I wouldn't worry about that, if he continues to score for fun in the SPL. He should be a first pick for most SPL games. If we had a consistantly decent winger or attacking midfielder to supply him, he'd score over 30 every season.

I'd be interested to know how many games Boyd has started in europe, can we say that the guy had really has a chance to prove himself at this level?

Also....if we offload him in a deal for a centre back I will be fucking raging! :angry2:

I don't think he's started any in the CL. Ithink he has somwthing like 3 goals from 8 starts in the Uefa cup though.

Boyds overall record in europe is

3 goals in 9 starts and 2 subs in the Uefa cup***

0 goals in 1 start and 0 subs in the Champions league

***he made 1 start and one sub apperance last season, the season before he got 3 goals in 8 apps which is nearly 1goal in 2 pretty good for someone who cant score in europe!!!

source http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats...213&cc=5739

This thread would never have been made if people didn't over-react to every goal the big man scored.

If a goal against the German amateurs is so commendable, it's heartbreakingly sad that a number of the 'Boyd lovers' are too busy praising what should be routine for our Kris, rather than celebrating a goal scored by Scotland's great young hope, John Fleck.

He hasn't proven himself in the CL yet, but I wouldn't worry about that, if he continues to score for fun in the SPL. He should be a first pick for most SPL games. If we had a consistantly decent winger or attacking midfielder to supply him, he'd score over 30 every season.

I'd be interested to know how many games Boyd has started in europe, can we say that the guy had really has a chance to prove himself at this level?

Also....if we offload him in a deal for a centre back I will be fucking raging! :angry2:

I don't think he's started any in the CL. Ithink he has somwthing like 3 goals from 8 starts in the Uefa cup though.

***he made 1 start and one sub apperance last season, the season before he got 3 goals in 8 apps which is nearly 1goal in 2 pretty good for someone who cant score in europe!!!

Does that site tell you how many assists he got in the uefa during the 06/07 season?

stats dont matter to the boyd bashers

Its actually closer to 1 in 3 :harhar:

Either way though, i'd imagine it'd take time to find your feet in the Cl so after more games the goals will come more regulary.

I dont see Boyd getting regular starts in Cl games even if he scores 50 + in the league. Walter will always set up defensivly in these games and Boyd isnt the lone striker type.

Check those stats, he came on against Villareal in the CL.

This thread would never have been made if people didn't over-react to every goal the big man scored.

If a goal against the German amateurs is so commendable, it's heartbreakingly sad that a number of the 'Boyd lovers' are too busy praising what should be routine for our Kris, rather than celebrating a goal scored by Scotland's great young hope, John Fleck.

oh but its alright to praise fleck to the hilt for scoring against pish?

That lad needs QUALITY behind him.

When was the last time we've had real bit of quality in midfield? Not for a long long time.

The likes of Fergie, McCulloch, Adam do nothing to help the front line when playing agains decent opposition.

We need some attacking, skillful midfielders. Not lads who have no idea how to control the ball and if they ever manage that then blast the fucking thing over the bar from 25 yards away. Not guys who just sit back and soak up pressure.

Reason boyd gets the goals against "shit teams" is we normally control the games and make the chances for him. WE DON"T DO THIS AGAINST QUALITY TEAMS!! That's the whole bloody point. The team as a whole just fails against better teams and Boyd suffers. Yes he can be a lazy bastard at times but with the right players behind him he would be a stunning CF.

That lad needs QUALITY behind him.

When was the last time we've had real bit of quality in midfield? Not for a long long time.

The likes of Fergie, McCulloch, Adam do nothing to help the front line when playing agains decent opposition.

We need some attacking, skillful midfielders. Not lads who have no idea how to control the ball and if they ever manage that then blast the fucking thing over the bar from 25 yards away. Not guys who just sit back and soak up pressure.

Reason boyd gets the goals against "shit teams" is we normally control the games and make the chances for him. WE DON"T DO THIS AGAINST QUALITY TEAMS!! That's the whole bloody point. The team as a whole just fails against better teams and Boyd suffers. Yes he can be a lazy bastard at times but with the right players behind him he would be a stunning CF.

hear hear

Did I say I thought it was?

I said it's a game against amateurs and the fact that Boyd scored twice shouldn't cause such an uproar any more than the fact we were trailing them at half time.

I said it's a game against amateurs and the fact that Boyd scored twice shouldn't cause such an uproar any more than the fact we were trailing them at half time.

ermm..

papaguy says:

so in essence your post means why praise boyd for scoring against pish when we could praise fleck for scoring against pish?

ermm..

papaguy says:

so in essence your post means why praise boyd for scoring against pish when we could praise fleck for scoring against pish?

I said 'if a goal against amateurs.....'

I don't think it is, but you clearly do. On that basis, 16 year old Fleck's first goal for the first team is bigger news than yet another Boydie double, surely?

It's rather positive actually, I'm just used to Boydie doubles.

See if Boyd worked liked Novo?

No one would EVER question him as a Rangers player. He's had any number of coaches and ex-pro's telling him what he needs to do to improve.

So - why doesn't he? Too lazy? Too arrogant? Hasn't the stamina?

I'd love to see Boyd go on to become a Rangers legend. It's really up to him.

See if Boyd worked liked Novo?

No one would EVER question him as a Rangers player. He's had any number of coaches and ex-pro's telling him what he needs to do to improve.

So - why doesn't he? Too lazy? Too arrogant? Hasn't the stamina?

I'd love to see Boyd go on to become a Rangers legend. It's really up to him.

Some sense, at last!

ermm..

papaguy says:

I said 'if a goal against amateurs.....'

I don't think it is, but you clearly do. On that basis, 16 year old Fleck's first goal for the first team is bigger news than yet another Boydie double, surely?

It's rather positive actually, I'm just used to Boydie doubles.

it is rather positive,and your right its good that a 16year old scored his first senior goal for the gers but...............this thread is about boyd isnt it? so if we want to discuss boyds goals then we can without you coming in saying its heartbreakingly sad that we "boyd lovers" dont praise fleck,fleck deserves his own thread but this is about boyd (tu)

Weegie, I agree.

As MosesMcNeil says though, if Boyd wants to step up to legend status, it's up to him.

(tu) theres no doubt about it he needs to add to his game, I think he did add alot last season he just needs to refine or shrapen those new found skills and add a touch more pace

The thing is, theres a actually a lot of sense on here, but, those saying "he only scored against a diddy team tonight", Just remember, if he HADNT, at best, we would have DRAWN with a diddy team, perhaps even lost!

Am pleased Fleck scored as well, but, after seeing him last season, the team we were playing? Were they any better than the reserve teams he has been playing against lately? I Want to see Boyd 2, Fleck 1 after a few more games this season!

The thing is, theres a actually a lot of sense on here, but, those saying "he only scored against a diddy team tonight", Just remember, if he HADNT, at best, we would have DRAWN with a diddy team, perhaps even lost!

Am pleased Fleck scored as well, but, after seeing him last season, the team we were playing? Were they any better than the reserve teams he has been playing against lately? I Want to see Boyd 2, Fleck 1 after a few more games this season!

Also if it hadn't been for Boyd we would have won zero last season.

If we had started him and Darche against Zenit we could have been the holders of the UEFA cup and now Smith wants to get rid of the best finisher we've had since McCoist.

the point to remeber is you will score very little goals without good delivery and even less if you are not playing, that is any player.

Times when boyd has scored against smaller teams people are forgetting no one else was scoring so he has basically won these games. All the criticism of boyd is unnerving as it doesnt happen with other players that run about like headless chickens for 70 mins and dont score but get praise.

What would you rather have someone that doesnt do alot for 70 mins and scores or someone that works there socks of for 70 mins but doesnt score? In the game of football i would have to take the person that scores.