Ally on the game

Boab

Ally Salutes Boyd

From Lindsay Herron in Germany

ALLY McCOIST praised Rangers for a goal-scoring second half show after having not a Lotte to shout about at half-time.

The Light Blues seemed rusty and shaky in the early moments and lost a poor goal in just five minutes when Dennis Rommel capitalised on slack defending.

However, two trademark Kris Boyd strikes and a terrific first top team goal for 16-year-old John Fleck - coupled with a better performance - left the assistant manager reasonably content.

He said: "I think's fair to say we were a lot happier with the second half performance than we were with the first.

"We were disappointed with the first half but we were much better after the break, did some good things and scored some good goals.

"The defence had an unusual look to it and I'm hoping that that was one of the reasons we looked so shaky but it's important the lads get game time.

"We're off and running very, very soon so hopefully that's the cob webs blown away and we can be ready for the start."

Boyd struck twice in two minutes, capitalising on keeper Daniel Althoff's spill and then converting Nacho Novo's cross.

And then Fleck was set up new signing Andrius Velicka to drill a left foot shot into the corner.

McCoist added: "Boyd's goals were fantastic. He is one of the best in the business at putting away these type of chances.

"He can pop up when you least expect and I'm pleased for him.

"It was great for John Fleck to score. He had two or three decent efforts in the first half with the keeper saving two of them.

"Andrius Velicka played him in very well and it was a lovely strike.

"I felt Andrius and Kris linked up very well at times which was good and it was good to get him involved after joining us on Monday night.

"We now play Schalke on Saturday and that will be a good test, We have played two games against lesser opposition and we go into a different standard.

"It's all about getting ready for the big kick-off and one thing is for sure we can't perform as we did in the first half tonight."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1345582,00.html