eric caldow

minstral

I remember in 1960 (?) when he had some dispute with the club and demanded a transfer. That was unheard of in those days, any move away from Rangers was a backward step and, in fact, no English club even tried to sign a Rangers player. The talk now-a -days is of the top 4, then it was the top 3 and Rangers were one of them.

Manu, came to an agreement of £30,000 ( a hellova price in those days) but at the last minute Caldow decided that, whatever the dispute, he was was not prepared to drop to a lower level. He subsequently finished his career at Ibrox.

It make you cry that we are reduced to competing (and losing) with teams like Wigan, Cardiff etc for players.

I had the honour of being introduced to Caldow, Baxter and Alex Scott after a Scotland/Ireland international in Belfast. I don,t think I washed my hand for months afterwards. Some of you older Bears might remember that match.

Scotland won 6-0 and Davy Wilson scored 3. Ralph Brand scored 3 and Scott got the other.

I,d better stop reminiscing of those days, I,m becoming depressed.

I remember in 1960 (?) when he had some dispute with the club and demanded a transfer. That was unheard of in those days, any move away from Rangers was a backward step and, in fact, no English club even tried to sign a Rangers player. The talk now-a -days is of the top 4, then it was the top 3 and Rangers were one of them.

Manu, came to an agreement of £30,000 ( a hellova price in those days) but at the last minute Caldow decided that, whatever the dispute, he was was not prepared to drop to a lower level. He subsequently finished his career at Ibrox.

It make you cry that we are reduced to competing (and losing) with teams like Wigan, Cardiff etc for players.

I had the honour of being introduced to Caldow, Baxter and Alex Scott after a Scotland/Ireland international in Belfast. I don,t think I washed my hand for months afterwards. Some of you older Bears might remember that match.

Scotland won 6-0 and Davy Wilson scored 3. Ralph Brand scored 3 and Scott got the other.

7-0?

good post. (tu)

7-0 that would make it.

Good to hear things like that though (tu):rangers:

Eric Caldow was at Rangers from 1952 until 1966,

playing in 407 competitive games for the Club.

He never once received a booking.

amazing record.

The complete gentleman,fantastic player,and the best Rangers left back I've ever had the pleasure of watching in the last 50 years. (tu)

Caldow was very fast, but he could run backwards faster than most of our present lot can run forward. Great player.

Yes, and in a free flowing team that oozed pace and skill combined with power and aggression. Oh, for that type of player and team.

Caldow was very fast, but he could run backwards faster than most of our present lot can run forward. Great player.

Yes, and in a free flowing team that oozed pace and skill combined with power and aggression. Oh, for that type of player and team.

doc you are spot on thats when we got entertained and watched decent football.

and manager.