Davie Weir on being Captain

Boab

DAVIE WEIR admits it will be one of the biggest honours of his career if boss Walter Smith asks him to lead Rangers as captain.

The 38-year-old veteran stopper was given the skipper's role in the 1-0 win over SC Preussen on Sunday in the absence of injured skipper Barry Ferguson.

Weir stood in for his Scotland team-mate last year when he was absent and, along with Carlos Cuellar, will be Smith's options as a replacement until Ferguson returns at the end of October.

Weir said: "I don't know if I will take the armband again now that Barry is injured. I was captain on Sunday night, but it's up to the manager if I keep that role. I don't really know what will happen.

"It would be a massive honour. It's great to be captain of Rangers even for one game and I would be delighted to do that. But Barry is the captain of the club and I wish he was here, fit."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...ver_armband.php

He has all the credentials to be captain!

It's just a shame he is old enough for a free bus pass!

Love the big man and would be nice to see him wearing the armband against lesser opposition when others are being rested!

There,s more to being captain of Rangers than leading the team out. To my mind, big Davie represents everything good about Rangers and the game in general. An experienced and respected

player, a stable family man, a credit to himself, his team and his country. I,m sure he,s made mistakes in his life and he is definately a lot slower with age but I,m equally sure that, when Davie kicks off this mortal coil, there won,t be many people will be able to find much bad to say about him.

For my money, Davie Weir should be a shoo-in for captain and to represent our club.

If Davie Weir plays every week id be gutted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don,t expect Weir to play every week either but I would definately make him club captain and who ever WS wants (Barry ?) as team captain.