Quit spinning things!

hutless

There seems to be a lot of chat on here about having 7 strikers, why has WS not bought midfielders, etc, but things are not that black and white. A lot of the players we have or have bought, can play in multiple positions, depending on the system deployed. Its safe to assume that we are going to use one of two systems, 4-5-1 with two wingers/attacking midfielders, or 4-4-2 with two strikers or one forward behind a main striker. We can ignore defence, as that will stay the same in both systems - a back 4.

4-5-1

Holding Midfielder - Hemdani, Thomson, Ferguson, Dailly, Whittaker

Centre Mid - Thomson, Ferguson, Dailly, Whittaker, Adam, McCulloch

Right Wing - Novo, Beasley, Miller, Cousin, Burke, Naismith

Left Wing - McCulloch, cousin, Lafferty

Striker - Boyd, Darcheville, Velicka, Miller, Naismith

4-4-2

Left Mid - Adam, McCulloch, Beasley, Lafferty

Right Mid - Beasley, Whittaker, Burke, Naismith

Striker - Boyd, Darcheville, Velicka, Miller, Naismith,

Second Forward - Cousin, Beasley, Miller, Lafferty, Ferguson

The point i'm trying to make is we have the nucleaus of a good squad. We have bought players who are flexible to play in a variety of systems. We are not restricted to play one styel the way Chelsea were under Morinho. We have the players not only to adapt to each game coming up, very important when negotiating several campaigns against opposition of varying ability!!!, but to adapt within a game. If used correctly, i think this is a huge advantage we have over other teams. People keep saying we have bought strikers, etc - its just not that simple. We have set ourselfs up to be unpredictable in shape from game to game.

I agree, I'm not happy with the quality of each position, but its a start and it allows us to build upon it. This season could hinge on just one signing, that one player that can turn important games. Just because WS and DM arent shouting out from the hilltops who that is, doesnt mean they arent working towards it.

The point i'm trying to make is we have the nucleaus of a good squad.

We do but we need more than that. And if we're considering Lee McCulloch for central midfield then we're in big trouble! :lol:

There seems to be a lot of chat on here about having 7 strikers, why has WS not bought midfielders, etc, but things are not that black and white. A lot of the players we have or have bought, can play in multiple positions, depending on the system deployed. Its safe to assume that we are going to use one of two systems, 4-5-1 with two wingers/attacking midfielders, or 4-4-2 with two strikers or one forward behind a main striker. We can ignore defence, as that will stay the same in both systems - a back 4.

4-5-1

4-4-2

The point i'm trying to make is we have the nucleaus of a good squad. We have bought players who are flexible to play in a variety of systems. We are not restricted to play one styel the way Chelsea were under Morinho. We have the players not only to adapt to each game coming up, very important when negotiating several campaigns against opposition of varying ability!!!, but to adapt within a game. If used correctly, i think this is a huge advantage we have over other teams. People keep saying we have bought strikers, etc - its just not that simple. We have set ourselfs up to be unpredictable in shape from game to game.

I agree, I'm not happy with the quality of each position, but its a start and it allows us to build upon it. This season could hinge on just one signing, that one player that can turn important games. Just because WS and DM arent shouting out from the hilltops who that is, doesnt mean they arent working towards it.

Take me to your dealer .

I understand what you are trying to say hutless but i think you are missing the point a wee bit!

Daily shouldnt be in a team that came runners up in a major European final. He proved he is a liabilty in defense and more so in the middle of the park.

Whittiker proved last term that he is a better right back but never gets the chance to play their.

McCulloch is NOT a midefield player and continualy plays in a wingers role even though he has no pace. Use him as a target man and he will be a better player.

Lafferty - See McCulloch (A 6'6" winger?? question marks are flying!)

Cousin as a wide midefielder??? No thanks. He is lazy enough up front!

I am not trying to be negative because i do feel we have good foundations but we are just missing the key elements....

...A winger, a creative attacking midfielder and a centre back who compliments King Carlos.

4-5-1

Cousin dont even figure as he is a numpty and pig lazy

4-4-2

Dailly,McCulloch and Whittaker are not midfielders.

Cousin on the wing........you've lost it mate

Lafferty is a striker not a winger so is Naismith and Novo,it's just Walter thinks they are wingers,like he thinks McCulloch is a winger and Broadfoot is a footballer.

Guest therabbitt

Agreed.

Although it is the job of managers to have players play the way they think they should, to best suit the team. Wenger is the best example of this, Henry changed from a winger to a centre forward and Kolo Toure from a striker to a defender. At Arsenal a player is a player until he is at the club, and then he gets his position.

No high horses either peoples, I'm clearly not trying to compare Henry to Cousin or anything daft like that. Its just that football management and training isnt always just about tactics and fitness, there is learning new positions and skills also. Some players react better to re-training than others, I think that might be why Wenger likes to meet his players and guage their intelligence before even considering signing.

Agreed.

Although it is the job of managers to have players play the way they think they should, to best suit the team. Wenger is the best example of this, Henry changed from a winger to a centre forward and Kolo Toure from a striker to a defender. At Arsenal a player is a player until he is at the club, and then he gets his position.

No high horses either peoples, I'm clearly not trying to compare Henry to Cousin or anything daft like that. Its just that football management and training isnt always just about tactics and fitness, there is learning new positions and skills also. Some players react better to re-training than others, I think that might be why Wenger likes to meet his players and guage their intelligence before even considering signing.

Well he has failed to make McCulloch a winger,Broadfoot a player,Naismith a winger,Novo a winger or Dailly a midfielder

Guest therabbitt
Agreed.

Well he has failed to make McCulloch a winger,Broadfoot a player,Naismith a winger,Novo a winger or Dailly a midfielder

He has. Doesnt mean though that all players signed in the future should play one position and one position alone.

Hutless, welcome to the board. (tu)

I don't agree with you that we have the nucleus of a good squad. Having players who are capable of playing in other positions and having players who excel in a few positions are two very very different things.

Last year, I kept waiting for one of our midfielders to come alive, control the midfield and get the ball moving quickly. Nobody did. With BF out injured maybe someone will step up but there's no firm evidence to support that.

Guest The Brown Brogue
We have set ourselfs up to be unpredictable in shape from game to game.

Thats as much as I needed to read of that post to disagree with it entirely, you clearly haven't seen us play in the last year if you think Smith sets us up to be anything other than utterly predictable from game to game.