McCoist issues CL warning

J_RFC87

Ally McCoist has warned the Rangers squad they will have to get up to speed soon or risk a UEFA Champions League upset.

Rangers were losing 1-0 with 20 minutes left against German minnows Sportfreunde Lotte on Wednesday night before a rapid Kris Boyd double and a powerful drive from 16-year-old John Fleck saw them through.

The returning Andy Webster missed a simple long ball to gift the German side an early lead and McCoist knows Rangers cannot get away with simple mistakes in their upcoming UEFA Champions League qualifier.

Earlier this week McCoist watched FBK Kaunas win 4-1 in the away leg of their first qualifying round clash against Andorran side Santa Coloma, the winners of which face Rangers at Ibrox on July 30.

"Kaunas were very, very comfortable and I would fully expect them to go through," the Rangers assistant boss said.

"It was difficult to tell against that standard, but at the same time they are a big side and their set pieces were very good.

"The two centre-backs were tall and strong, the same in the middle of the park. They'll be a tough side to negotiate."

Webster was making his first start for 10 months following knee and hernia problems and McCoist hopes he will settle quickly following his error.

"The defence had an unusual look to it and I'm hoping that that was one of the reasons we looked so shaky but it's important the lads get game time," he told Rangers World.

"We're off and running very, very soon so hopefully that's the cobwebs blown away and we can be ready for the start."

http://www.itv-football.co.uk/story/0,1923...3829086,00.html

I really hope he's not preparing the ground for a disaster...

Hes setting it up.

If it happens, I told you so........ We couldnt get anything going....... Injuries cost us.......Kaunas are a good team........Kaunas are half way through their season.... etc etc

It's not Kaunas I'm worried about, the the possibility of Atletico Madrid, Galatasaray or Dinamo Zagreb in the next round.

:(

i feel the same, and with some big hitters in that round, we are going to need all the luck we can muster to get into the CL proper :angry2:

Kaunas will give the team we have a game right now.

A German 4th division team did the same.

agree with you both.

I just hope that has given the lads a shake up.

Without a decent attacking midfielder, I honestly don't know what we can expect this year.