Scott Artfield - Falkirk

AdzKyle

From Sky Sports

Manchester United and Chelsea are among the clubs chasing Falkirk starlet Scott Arfield, skysports.com understands.

The 19-year-old midfielder has shone for the Bairns since breaking into the first team in 2007, and has been called into the Scotland Under 21 set-up.

He is recognised as one of the best young players in Scotland, and the Old Firm are monitoring his progress, but the big interest is coming from South of the border.

Skysports.com understands up to 12 clubs from the Premier League and Championship are regularly checking on him and Falkirk could face a battle to keep him at the club.

Arfield is, though, on a long-term contract after penning a five-year deal earlier this year, but with United and Chelsea leading the chase, the Bairns could easily cash in on their prized asset.

Chelsea's interest emerged at the end of last season, but United have been tracking the midfielder for over a year and Sir Alex Ferguson is understood to have personally checked on Arfield last season.

Would it be worth a bid? Hes a very decent player.

If we were willing to take a chance on him being one for the future we could arrange a deal with Falkirk that when we buy him we can loan him back out to them?

I know people wouldnt want him to play against us so we could put in a clause saying he couldnt.

Alternatively we could just give them a sell on clause.

Thoughts? (This is where i wait for the "He is just more SPL pish" comments) :craphead:

He's a great wee player and ran us ragged a few times last season in our midfield, the problem is his age, WS wouldn't play him, also we would easily be priced out of the market by the clubs that are reported to be interested in him.

Yeah i know WS would never play him thats why i suggested a loan deal if we were to try and get him.

Highly unlikely though because hes actually good!

"A good wee player" just about sums him up - personally tho I feel he wouldn't be the answer to our midfield problem at the moment. I would prefer we spent the money on an attacking midfielder with European/International experience, preferably both.

He's the kind of player that we should be going for. We can't afford the "proven quality" guys unless they're into there thirties and looking one last pay off.

Someone like Arfield, who is being looked at already by bigger clubs, is the way we are heading. Buy on potential and sell for bigger money.

Also, the idea that Walter wouldn't play him is off the mark imo too. He just bought Lafferty, do you think he won't be played?

The young guns at the club breaking through are different to the ones that are bought for a first team role.