Sign in to follow this  
DJW

Boyd to Birmingham Transfer Discussion

I think we would still get £3m for him in the summer, maybe even more. there is no fucking way we should be selling a vital part of our team in january. Unless some club wanted to offer silly money, ie £6m. How long were we moaning about needing a goalscorer? I for one, and i know alot of people will disagree with me, would build a team around Boyd. The way we play football at the moment this is exactly what we have done.

Get rid of McGregor and Ferguson who still have value left in them and haven't really been producing the goods this season if we need the money this bad. Because love him or hate him Rangers will not win the SPL in 2009 without Kris Boyd.

£6 million is what we should have asked for in the first place instead of letting everyone know we were looking to clear£3 million. Who else values their top goalscorer as being worth less than a misfit who has played all of his football as a left midfielder but has convinced every one he could be a striker and who cannot command a regular place in the team.

Similar with Ferguson; who in their right mind says £2 to £2.5 million will secure a transfer? I would immediately counter under a million and then haggle.

No wonder we are in dire financial straits.

Rangers fans furious at sale of striker Kris Boyd to Birmingham City

As representatives of Rangers and Birmingham City thrashed out the details which will see former Scotland striker Kris Boyd swap Glasgow for the Midlands, the Glasgow club's support voiced their dissent on websites and radio phone-ins.

They were wasting their time.

The fear is that Rangers' self-styled status as Scotland's premier sporting institution (which they consider themselves to be) may be heading the way of other national totems such as the Bank of Scotland, which funded much of the borrowing which saw Rangers outperform the domestic opposition during the Nineties.

For fans, the eagerness of the club's owner, Sir David Murray, to sell their top scorer is alarming, as much for the smallness of the fee (the £4 million will be diluted by as much as £800,000 due to a sell-on clause inserted by Boyd's former club, Kilmarnock) and to the fact he is moving to the Championship.

It is the third successive transfer window during which Rangers have sold high-profile stars. Alan Hutton, whose preference was to remain in Scotland, was press-ganged into a £9 million move to Tottenham Hotspur a year ago.

Carlos Cuellar then joined Aston Villa in August when Martin O'Neill, hitherto not privy to contractual matters at Ibrox, was made aware of an exit clause in the Spaniard's agreement which allowed him to move for €10 million.

However, it is the willingness to sell Boyd for a relative pittance which concerns supporters, suggesting, as it does, that Rangers are in a deep and dark financial place.

Boyd was at Murray Park on Wednesday, to watch former Scotland defender Andy Webster (another player Rangers would love to offload) make the latest in a series of abortive comebacks from a variety of injuries.

Studying the bare statistics of Boyd's scoring record (90 goals from 97 starts for Rangers) one might be tempted to accuse Birmingham manager Alex McLeish of larceny but the claim which has always followed the 25-year-old around – that he is a playground bully who isn't effective against the big boys – is also borne out.

Manager Walter Smith refused to use him in all four Old Firm matches last season and he started only one match as Rangers toiled in the Champions League and then advanced to the Uefa Cup final.

It transpires that Boyd has scored only once in 17 appearances against Celtic and has harvested just two goals – against Livorno and Hapoel Tel Aviv – from 15 outings against European opposition.

Of his 20 goals this campaign, 11 have come in four matches against Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Hamilton Accies. His international record, before his fallout with Scotland manager George Burley, was seven goals from 15 games. Those strikes came against Bulgaria and Faroe Islands (two apiece) plus singles against Georgia, Lithuania and South Africa.

Even so, his potency at SPL level is indisputable and Rangers will struggle (and may not even attempt) to find an adequate replacement.

Newcastle United would appear to have dropped their interest in club captain Barry Ferguson due to worries over the midfielder's catalogue of injuries in recent years. Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear is also unlikely to mount a bid for Madjid Bougherra, due to his own central defenders making swifter-than-expected returns from the treatment table.

It is understood, however, that Kinnear, who has identified midfield as the department of his team most in need of strengthening, may attempt to persuade Portuguese playmaker Pedro Mendes, signed from Portsmouth five months ago, to return to England.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ngham-City.html

£6 million is what we should have asked for in the first place instead of letting everyone know we were looking to clear£3 million. Who else values their top goalscorer as being worth less than a misfit who has played all of his football as a left midfielder but has convinced every one he could be a striker and who cannot command a regular place in the team.

Similar with Ferguson; who in their right mind says £2 to £2.5 million will secure a transfer? I would immediately counter under a million and then haggle.

No wonder we are in dire financial straits.

It's perhaps because we're in dire financial straights that clubs are offering so little. They have the position of strength, we don't. It appears we must make at least one significant sale in the next couple of weeks. Just think of the desperation as the time passes and no bids are coming in or players refuse to leave.

If I managed another club and fancied one of Rangers players, no way would I be jumping in and saying 'how much do you want'. I'd wait 'til the last minute and say 'take it or leave it.'

If no one else comes forward for one of our players and we hit administration, I'll be a damn sight unhappier than I was about selling Boyd.

I've just figured out why Boyd deal is on hold....It's because he's sharing a car down with Gow to the Midlands tomorrow :pipe:

No, Birmingham wouldn't take his driver (Kirk) as part of the deal. :lol:

Boyd realising that he won't cut it in a better league then.

Pretty sad, we need the cash and a more important player may be sold in his place.

Pretty sad, we need the cash and a more important player may be sold in his place.

Its not possible he just doesn't want to leave the club he supported?

Good to know we still have some players who want to play for the club.

I just hope there's still a club to play for by the end of the month.

Ill be totally inconsolable if it falls through and either Bougherra or Mendes are sold instead.

Still confident that the deal will go through, mind you.

Yeah, he's just being selfish again.

Best interests of Krissy Boyd, instead of thinking about the Club/fans.