***Generic Kris Boyd Thread***

jimmckinlay

People talk about how poor the SPL is, but in recent years we have seen guys like Manucho, Kalinic, Mbesuma, Costly, Zaki, Maierhofer and Nevland earn moves to England because they have good goal records in what can only be classed as relatively poor leagues.

In Boyd we have a guy who outscores everybody in Scotland for fun, yet there seems to be very little genuine interest in him from South of the border.

Why is that?

Anybody else got any ideas why this is the case?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People talk about how poor the SPL is, but in recent years we have seen guys like Manucho, Kalinic, Mbesuma, Costly, Zaki, Maierhofer and Nevland earn moves to England because they have good goal records in what can only be classed as relatively poor leagues.

In Boyd we have a guy who outscores everybody in Scotland for fun, yet there seems to be very little genuine interest in him from South of the border.

Why is that?

Anybody else got any ideas why this is the case?

I think, as Eck said above, some players (and fans), such as Boyd, dont view England as the "promised land". Interest from an English team seems to be some kind of measuring stick for some. Boyd is a Rangers fan, playing for his team, and, as he said, is Rangers number 9. For most bears, that is the ultimate goal that they will never achieve, and to move elsewhere is a step down.

Its widely known, he has knocked back moves that will at least double his wages (5 times in the Turkish case?), which, if I was a buying club, would put me off. They know to attract him while he is still under contract at Rangers, tey would have to pay way over and above what they want, and, in all honesty, what the player wants, which would be off putting I would think?

As for the wages thing, its unrealistic and unfair to expect that someone takes a wage drop, there would be outcry if that happened anywhere else in the world (such as the nurses/police etc currently). Its also not unreasonable for a player to expect parity, especially when, on paper, they are performing well. I think he should be earning as much as Lafferty and Miller, at least, at the same time, do I think that THOSE players should be paid as much as they are being? Oh hell no! Therein lies the problem, some of Boyds peers are being overpaid, which, is down to Bain. Boyd scores more goals, so, technically, he is hitting his targets, or over achieving on them, the other 2, for whatever reason, are not.

Hateley retaliates.

SOME FOLK NEVER LEARN

Oct 8 2009 Mark Hateley; Keith Jackson

I offered Kris advice just after signing and he wasn't interested

Let me tell you a story. It's a simple tale about a complex character and his ceaseless struggle to come to terms with his own failings.

Kris Boyd doesn't do introspection - not even when he's being forced to take a pay cut. It's a great shame because one day, probably when he's old and past it like the rest of us, the penny might finally drop and he'll wake up wondering why he never became the player he really ought to have been.

Now I can say this because - despite the wallowing in self-pity garbage you might have read elsewhere - I have offered to help this prolific goalscorer turn himself into a proper, rounded striker. And by 'rounded' I'm talking about his game, not his body shape.

Which is why it was with some incredulity yesterday that I learned of his latest 'woe-is-me ramblings' in a newspaper. Apparently, he is sick of being told by the likes of myself that he is constantly falling short of the standards required to lead the line as a Rangers striker.

Poor, put upon Kris, would much rather his critics spoke to him in person or, even better, offer to give him such much-needed pointers on the training ground at Murray Park.

And that brings us nicely back to our little story. So if you're sitting comfortably, let us begin.

Let's rewind a couple of years to early 2006, shortly after Boyd had signed for the club from Kilmarnock. I remember spotting him at the bar in the Glasgow nightclub, One Up.

I introduced myself and told him how happy I was for him that he had joined my old club. We chatted for about an hour and a half - maybe even two hours - and during this time I tried to impart some advice to a young kid on the way up.

Now I don't know. maybe Kris found me boring or perhaps he didn't think he could learn anything form an old has-been.

But given that I knew a thing or two about what it takes to play at the highest level I thought I'd persevere all the same. I tried my best that night to let him know little things about what it takes to be a Rangers player and how he might improve himself as a striker.

I told him I would be here to help him if he ever needed any advice. But I left that night believing everything I had said had gone in one ear and out of the other. I knew right then that this was a player who didn't want to learn. He was either too lazy or too stupid.

Which is why I had a little chuckle to myself yesterday when I was told that Kris had cordially invited me to Murray Park to sort things out face to face. It reminded me of our second and final conversation - brief though it undoubtedly was.

This one took place a year or so later at a hotel in Inverness, the night before Rangers were due to play an SPL game against Caley Thistle.

Having grown more and more frustrated with Boyd's inability or unwillingness to work on his faults I had written a column in these very pages, urging him to add more strings to his bow. I felt then, as I still do now, that Boyd should have been smart enough to milk Ally McCoist for all that he was worth.

After all, he is working with a guy who was one of the greatest finishers in the history of the Scottish game - a man who came through his own hard times but who was intelligent enough to make the changes that were required.

Before myself and Maurice Johnston arrived at Rangers, Alistair was spookily similar to the current day Boyd. If it wasn't in the six-yard box he wasn't interested. Not for him, working defenders, running the channels, linking with the midfield or chasing down full-backs.

But Coisty was clever enough to identify his own shortcomings. He was also man enough to admit he was selling himself short.

He set about re-inventing himself as a football player. He realised by working harder and running further - making his marker tire both physically and mentally - he would score more goals, not fewer. Not only did he win his place back in the team but he secured his status as one of the living legends at Ibrox. If a guy like Alistair can't get the message through to Boyd, after working with him day in day out for almost three years, then what chance do I have? But I digress.

Let's get back to the hotel in Inverness. I had just arrived with the rest of the crew from Setanta as we were covering the game live on TV the next day. It turned out, of course, that we were in the same hotel as the players and Boydie spotted me as I was walking in from the car park.

He stuck his head out of his window and shouted something which, I must say, was rather incoherent. I guessed from his deep-set scowl, however, that something I had written was troubling him.

I quickly invited Kris to join me in the lobby in order that we might talk this through in a more personal and up-front manner. It is not my style to conduct such business shouting through bedroom windows.

I told him I was going to sling my bags into my room and that I'd be sitting in the reception, waiting for him in 10 minutes. I really felt we ought to get to the bottom of this.

Imagine my disappointment then when Kris failed to show. I sat there drinking tea and talking to a few of the other boys for over and hour. But still no sign of the man who appeared to have so much he wanted to discuss, albeit from 30 yards away. And that was it. There's an hour I'll never get back.

That was the last time I even bothered to give that young man the benefit of my years as a striker with AC Milan, Monaco, Rangers and England. I felt he clearly did not wish to be told anything by me.

The problem is I suspect I'm not the only guy Kris isn't bothered about hearing from. In all his time at Rangers he has shown neither the inclination nor the appetite to learn from the people there whose experience cannot be bought.

Which is why I'm surprised - but delighted - to hear that Kris would like to meet up with me again.What's more, I would be thrilled to accept the invitation.

On this occasion, however, I need to know he is serious before I waste any more of my time.You'll excuse me but I have no wish to be left sitting around waiting for him to show up once again.

But Kris knows how to contact me. And I would genuinely love to receive that call because I do feel it's not too late for him to make the most of his God-given gift and I would be only too happy to help.

Trouble is, I just don't believe he'll ever dial those digits. Like I said at the start, before he can make himself a better player, he has to admit that he has failings. And the biggest one of all is his inability to see them.

But anyway, Kris, time is precious. I'm off out for a cappuccino with the wife.

http://www.<No links to this website>/comment/colum...-name_page.html

More public slagging pish from Hateley.

:ph34r: Will Boyd retaliate again?

Hateley retaliates.

SOME FOLK NEVER LEARN

Let me tell you a story. It's a simple tale about a complex character and his ceaseless struggle to come to terms with his own failings.

Kris Boyd doesn't do introspection - not even when he's being forced to take a pay cut. It's a great shame because one day, probably when he's old and past it like the rest of us, the penny might finally drop and he'll wake up wondering why he never became the player he really ought to have been.

Now I can say this because - despite the wallowing in self-pity garbage you might have read elsewhere - I have offered to help this prolific goalscorer turn himself into a proper, rounded striker. And by 'rounded' I'm talking about his game, not his body shape.

Which is why it was with some incredulity yesterday that I learned of his latest 'woe-is-me ramblings' in a newspaper. Apparently, he is sick of being told by the likes of myself that he is constantly falling short of the standards required to lead the line as a Rangers striker.

Poor, put upon Kris, would much rather his critics spoke to him in person or, even better, offer to give him such much-needed pointers on the training ground at Murray Park.

And that brings us nicely back to our little story. So if you're sitting comfortably, let us begin.

Let's rewind a couple of years to early 2006, shortly after Boyd had signed for the club from Kilmarnock. I remember spotting him at the bar in the Glasgow nightclub, One Up.

I introduced myself and told him how happy I was for him that he had joined my old club. We chatted for about an hour and a half - maybe even two hours - and during this time I tried to impart some advice to a young kid on the way up.

Now I don't know. maybe Kris found me boring or perhaps he didn't think he could learn anything form an old has-been.

But given that I knew a thing or two about what it takes to play at the highest level I thought I'd persevere all the same. I tried my best that night to let him know little things about what it takes to be a Rangers player and how he might improve himself as a striker.

I told him I would be here to help him if he ever needed any advice. But I left that night believing everything I had said had gone in one ear and out of the other. I knew right then that this was a player who didn't want to learn. He was either too lazy or too stupid.

Which is why I had a little chuckle to myself yesterday when I was told that Kris had cordially invited me to Murray Park to sort things out face to face. It reminded me of our second and final conversation - brief though it undoubtedly was.

This one took place a year or so later at a hotel in Inverness, the night before Rangers were due to play an SPL game against Caley Thistle.

Having grown more and more frustrated with Boyd's inability or unwillingness to work on his faults I had written a column in these very pages, urging him to add more strings to his bow. I felt then, as I still do now, that Boyd should have been smart enough to milk Ally McCoist for all that he was worth.

After all, he is working with a guy who was one of the greatest finishers in the history of the Scottish game - a man who came through his own hard times but who was intelligent enough to make the changes that were required.

Before myself and Maurice Johnston arrived at Rangers, Alistair was spookily similar to the current day Boyd. If it wasn't in the six-yard box he wasn't interested. Not for him, working defenders, running the channels, linking with the midfield or chasing down full-backs.

But Coisty was clever enough to identify his own shortcomings. He was also man enough to admit he was selling himself short.

He set about re-inventing himself as a football player. He realised by working harder and running further - making his marker tire both physically and mentally - he would score more goals, not fewer. Not only did he win his place back in the team but he secured his status as one of the living legends at Ibrox. If a guy like Alistair can't get the message through to Boyd, after working with him day in day out for almost three years, then what chance do I have? But I digress.

Let's get back to the hotel in Inverness. I had just arrived with the rest of the crew from Setanta as we were covering the game live on TV the next day. It turned out, of course, that we were in the same hotel as the players and Boydie spotted me as I was walking in from the car park.

He stuck his head out of his window and shouted something which, I must say, was rather incoherent. I guessed from his deep-set scowl, however, that something I had written was troubling him.

I quickly invited Kris to join me in the lobby in order that we might talk this through in a more personal and up-front manner. It is not my style to conduct such business shouting through bedroom windows.

I told him I was going to sling my bags into my room and that I'd be sitting in the reception, waiting for him in 10 minutes. I really felt we ought to get to the bottom of this.

Imagine my disappointment then when Kris failed to show. I sat there drinking tea and talking to a few of the other boys for over and hour. But still no sign of the man who appeared to have so much he wanted to discuss, albeit from 30 yards away. And that was it. There's an hour I'll never get back.

That was the last time I even bothered to give that young man the benefit of my years as a striker with AC Milan, Monaco, Rangers and England. I felt he clearly did not wish to be told anything by me.

The problem is I suspect I'm not the only guy Kris isn't bothered about hearing from. In all his time at Rangers he has shown neither the inclination nor the appetite to learn from the people there whose experience cannot be bought.

Which is why I'm surprised - but delighted - to hear that Kris would like to meet up with me again.What's more, I would be thrilled to accept the invitation.

On this occasion, however, I need to know he is serious before I waste any more of my time.You'll excuse me but I have no wish to be left sitting around waiting for him to show up once again.

But Kris knows how to contact me. And I would genuinely love to receive that call because I do feel it's not too late for him to make the most of his God-given gift and I would be only too happy to help.

Trouble is, I just don't believe he'll ever dial those digits. Like I said at the start, before he can make himself a better player, he has to admit that he has failings. And the biggest one of all is his inability to see them.

I knew the two of them did not get on with each other and I was aware of Hateley's advice to Boyd at one time , but I am led to beleive it amounted to Hateley telling Boyd how good Hateley was with Rangers and how none of the Rangers players could ever be compared to him

If you have ever met Hateley you would understand - a bigger arsehole you will not find.

Its disappointing to read these things in the papers from ex players - but it says everything about Hateley in my opinion

Hateley retaliates.

SOME FOLK NEVER LEARN

I knew the two of them did not get on with each other and I was aware of Hateley's advice to Boyd at one time , but I am led to beleive it amounted to Hateley telling Boyd how good Hateley was with Rangers and how none of the Rangers players could ever be compared to him

If you have ever met Hateley you would understand - a bigger arsehole you will not find.

Its disappointing to read these things in the papers from ex players - but it says everything about Hateley in my opinion

I find it quite hard to disagree with any of that. Seems to be similar stories where old Mark is related. Sadly, I am sure some will be enjoying reading it

I find it quite hard to disagree with any of that. Seems to be similar stories where old Mark is related. Sadly, I am sure some will be enjoying reading it

As the guy that's commented on the story Hateley mentions 'I don't do my talking through a window' - No, you do it on the back pages :rolleyes:

I find it curious that when ex players criticise Rangers or players they're bitter old cocks who don't have a clue.

But when they praise us they're intelligent true bears who have much of value to say.

I cant believe the pish about Boyd not doing anything like winning headers, closing down players, tracking back etc is still being peddle on here.

He has imporved on all these aspects of his game in the last two seasons, why is it so hard for people to accept this ?

Boyd could go and score a hattrick in each of our next 2 CL games then miss a sitter against falkirk or whoever and still be branded shite and not good enough again.

Honestly it looks as if Boyd will be pushed out the door by the club with this stalling on a new deal, i mean why would Boyd not want a pay rise to put him on par with McCulloch and Miller (yes they do both earn more than him) when hes probably done more than them in his time here.

Hes the most natural goal scorer weve had since Super Ally and hes one very good season away from becoming the leading SPL goal scorer a head of Larrson.

I mean Why on earth would any supporter in their right mind wanty let him go ? Whos gonny score 25-30+ goals a season ? Laffery ? Miller ? Novo ? Naismith ?

I dont think so some how.

I find it curious that when ex players criticise Rangers or players they're bitter old cocks who don't have a clue.

But when they praise us they're intelligent true bears who have much of value to say.

hmmm? Because, "some" fans are far too self obsessed and think they are the centre of the universe? Same people who think that its up to the quality of the football on display to create the atmosphere ina stadium, rather than themselves :pipe:

Thing is, there are many agreeing with the cocks... interesting I find. Goes along with people believing the "if you dont rate miller, then, it must be for non footballing reasons". Cracks me up that one.

He has imporved on all these aspects of his game in the last two seasons, why is it so hard for people to accept this ?

Boyd could go and score a hattrick in each of our next 2 CL games then miss a sitter against falkirk or whoever and still be branded shite and not good enough again.

More teary eyed defence of Boyd the victim, again. He gets criticised because those aspects of his game haven't improved significantly.

If you honestly think that Boyd could score a hat-trick in our next two CL games and would then get branded shit for missing a sitter against Falkirk, then you're deluded. Of course it's extremely unlikely that he'll start our next two CL games...tell me why is that?

More teary eyed defence of Boyd the victim, again. He gets criticised because those aspects of his game haven't improved significantly.

If you honestly think that Boyd could score a hat-trick in our next two CL games and would then get branded shit for missing a sitter against Falkirk, then you're deluded. Of course it's extremely unlikely that he'll start our next two CL games...tell me why is that?

I would hazard a guess that due to Walters tactics of using a pacey lone striker that would rule boyd out due to the lack of pace ???

not rocket science pal, hence why boyd starts 95% of the league games, why do YOU think that is ? :pipe:

wipe the slavers from your chin now i can see this people backing boyd gets you really angry (tu)

I would hazard a guess that due to Walters tactics of using a pacey lone striker that would rule boyd out due to the lack of pace ???

not rocket science pal, hence why boyd starts 95% of the league games, why do YOU think that is ? :pipe:

wipe the slavers from your chin now i can see this people backing boyd gets you really angry (tu)

:lol: Angry, good one. I'm all for people defending Rangers players, but this whole 'Boyd is a victim' thing that people have concocted is just embarrassing.

Boyd starts most league games because he's up against a lower class of opposition, and his drawbacks as a player won't be exposed as much. It's unlikely that missing a sitter against St Johnstone will be as costly as missing one against Sevilla, or two against celtic.

Is it because he is out injured? :pipe:

:lol: Angry, good one. I'm all for people defending Rangers players, but this whole 'Boyd is a victim' thing that people have concocted is just embarrassing.

Boyd starts most league games because he's up against a lower class of opposition, and his drawbacks as a player won't be exposed as much. It's unlikely that missing a sitter against St Johnstone will be as costly as missing one against Sevilla, or two against celtic.

Have you not been watching Rangers over the last couple of seasons? Missing ANY chances has been a thorn for us

Have you not been watching Rangers over the last couple of seasons? Missing ANY chances has been a thorn for us

:lol: I knew someone would mention the injury, but you get my point. Missing any chances recently has been a thorn for us, which is why it's been down to our proven goal scorers Novo and Miller to step up ;)

Boyd starts most league games because he's up against a lower class of opposition.

Decent deliveries and service into the box, the ball falls to Boyd, i don't think it really matters what opposition you are playing, he'll have a decent chance.

But, we never over power any decent opposition enough in this day and age to have the luxury of a goal poacher in the box, and half the team in their too, attacking.

When we play tough opposition under Walter, we revert to 4-5-1, mostly, and always hope we can score on the counter attack, most likely with Miller.

Because Uncle Walter likes the team to play defensively in the Champions League matches (or every match), 4-5-1 is a no go for a goal poacher.

The midfield sit too deep, and hardly attack the box at all like we've seen in years gone by, the only players in the box are a single striker or Boughaldo.

There is no point in having a goal poacher like Boyd, who, whilst he has slightly improved his out of the box game, will not take the ball near the half way line, beat two men and run and score (not that anyone on our team often does that anyway).

4-4-2 attacking and he should be playing, imo, not that he can now he's injured.

Lafferty - Boyd.

I like the way that the general argument is that when we don't score with Boyd in the team it's because there's no service, but when we don't score with Boyd on the bench it's because he's not playing.

I'd argue the reason he doesn't play in the CL (generally) is because when you're playing a team like Sevilla you can't have any passengers, which Boyd tends to be more often than not against better opposition, or in tough games. We can't afford to play Boyd in those games on the off chance that he gets an opportunity and puts it away.

:lol:

Not the fact he was/has been the leagues top scorer in recent times ??

:lol:

I like the way that the general argument is that when we don't score with Boyd in the team it's because there's no service, but when we don't score with Boyd on the bench it's because he's not playing.

I'd argue the reason he doesn't play in the CL (generally) is because when you're playing a team like Sevilla you can't have any passengers, which Boyd tends to be more often than not against better opposition, or in tough games. We can't afford to play Boyd in those games on the off chance that he gets an opportunity and puts it away.

True, but with decent service into the box and attacking play, he'd have more chances in the box, rather than hoping our lone striker can do it all.

Also;

I like the way that the general argument is that when we don't score with Boyd in the team it's because there's no service,

I've said countless times, that the service to the strikers is poor no matter what striker it is.

I think what Hateley is saying is pretty accurate tbh.

Kris Boyd has been at the club for nearly 4 years and has shown no sign of improvement. Coincidence or is he just happy sitting on the bench for the CL games and most of the OF games?

No doubt Hateley will cop the flack due to Boyd splitting us down the middle, but you really cant argue with what Hateley is saying... I for one believe him when he says he's offered to help him adapt and Boyd turned him down thinking he knew everything himself. Afterall Boyd does come across like that.

He's also spot on with what McCoist done, and i thought Boyd would follow suit in his development. But sadly he's not, and you can't help but ask why has he not took full advantage of this great opportunity he's had.

True, but with decent service into the box and attacking play, he'd have more chances in the box, rather than hoping our lone striker can do it all.

Boyd wouldn't have more chances because top drawer defenders aren't going to gift him the space that the hammer throwers of the SPL do.