Now, can we move forward ?

A thought-provoking article.

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/2008/05...86908-20424212/

How Celtic legend Tommy Burns brought the Old Firm together

May 21 2008 By James Traynor

THERE was no thunderous sound of walls crashing down.No dust clouds or massive piles of rubble.

There was nothing. Only the sound of a profound silence, and then polite and muted applause. But something unexpected, yet momentous, occurred yesterday in the east end of Glasgow.

Everyone who witnessed it was moved deeply and hopefully not a single one of us will forget. Yesterday, in the city's once-notorious Calton area, barriers that have divided so many people for too many long years came tumbling down.

Nobody rushed at them or smashed at them with fists. There was no anger. They were brought down by the weight of respect and the overpowering friendship of three men.

And dare we now hope these walls will stay down, or that if they are to be rebuilt they won't be as high or as divisive?

Perhaps not, but if we want to be as decent as the people involved yesterday we will do everything possible to make sure that what happened has far-reaching consequences for the game in this country.Maybe even for the people of this country.

Trust Tommy Burns. At the very end he might just have pointed us towards a new beginning. It took place around midday. Just outside the gates of St Mary's RC Church in Abercromby Street, in fact.

And it took the breath of everyone there away. First they looked puzzled but then they realised they were watching something poignant and rare.

It was then they started applauding and that's precisely when we started to hope this could be the start of something better.

The hearse taking the body of Tommy Burns trundled to a halt outside his church and there, waiting to help carry the Celtic icon's coffin, were two men from the other side.

Walter Smith and Ally McCoist stepped forward, picked up their friend and carried him into his church. It was the most uplifting sight most of us are ever likely to witness and it cannot be underestimated. Here were two groups, fiercely passionate in their desire to beat the other, locked in a common cause.

All rivalry was forgotten, tossed aside as Smith and McCoist walked one last time with a man it was their privilege to know.

They openly admitted they had come to admire him and relish his company. Theirs was an unashamed act of friendship and respect which should be an example to all of us.

When Rangers' management team hoisted their fallen comrade on to their shoulders they were letting everyone see it is possible to operate on opposite sides but never lose sight or touch with one another or the things that really matter.

They were demonstrating that despite the bitterness and fractured logic which taints large parts of Scotland there is a brotherhood that owes nothing to any religion. The only belief is we are all the same.

The bond of friendship between these three men was always stronger than the rivalry between the country's two biggest clubs and if it offended anyone that Smith and McCoist, rather than Celtic-minded men, carried the coffin that's a pity. It's also a view that would have insulted Tommy Burns.

No one was more committed to his club or his religion than Tommy Burns, yet two of his best friends came from the opposite side and that should tell us something.

It might be stretching reality, but maybe, just maybe the sectarian hatreds that bubble around the Old Firm like a poisonous swamp can be overcome.

We have to believe that and if we can remember what happened yesterday it might help because Smith and McCoist believe just as fiercely in their own club as Tommy did in his.

That's why, despite the enormous pressures the Rangers pair are under right now as the championship slips beyond their grasp, only one thing mattered. Honouring Tommy Burns and his family by carrying his coffin.

They took him into St Mary's and when the funeral mass was over they lifted their friend once again and carried him out again.

There was a round of applause inside the packed church and also outside where another mass of people had gathered to say their farewells to a man who commanded the respect of all no matter their religion or race.

But this act, this willingness to ignore completely the barriers that remain between two great clubs was compelling.

It was significant. And it should not be underestimated.

Smith and McCoist are vying with Celtic to win the SPL championship but none of that mattered as they accompanied Tommy on his final journey. They linked arms, Smith with Danny McGrain and McCoist with Peter Grant.

The other pallbearers, Pat Bonner and George McCluskey, completed the six chosen to carry the coffin from hearse to church and back, and later to the graveside. It was one of the most heartbreaking yet inspiring moments in the history of the Old Firm. If this comes across as outlandish then please, think again. This, hopefully, could be a defining moment and it was appropriate it should happen at the funeral of someone who was always able to embrace his own faith yet reach out to people of other persuasions.

What we witnessed yesterday was a closing of that great and awful chasm.

That distance which was allowed to widen in the name of religion, or to be correct, a twisted view on religion.

Much of the abuse hurled from one terracing to another has nothing to do with religion or civilised beliefs, but that slow, measured procession at St Mary's had everything to do with Christianity.

Rangers and Celtic leaders have attended many funerals of players, managers and directors of both clubs, but never have we seen the management of one club bearing the weight of any of the other club's heroes.

Celtic's fans outside the church appreciated the presence of Smith and McCoist and so, I'm sure, did Rangers' fans when they heard. But can we assume they all realised the significance of this moment? Can we proceed confident this is now the time to ditch all the sectarianism?

Perhaps it would be childishly innocent to believe Old Firmfans, or the extremists among them, will understand how obscene and backward their behaviour is and think again. But we can hope.

This was a special moment in our game and it really shouldn't have been a surprise that it should occur at the funeral of Tommy Burns.

Yesterday because of him we saw the way it should be in the world of the Old Firm. Not one Celtic fan outside that church would want Rangers to win the league tomorrow night, but for a time as Tommy was laid to rest they had nothing but respect for Rangers.

Tommy has gone but his legacy could be something miraculous.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That really brought a tear to my eye reading that and i will be honest seeing McCoist in the state he was in and the way it effect Smith it really got to me...

I had respect for Burns in a football from Scotland to Celtic and beyond but its clear that he was much more than just a manager or coach!

As for the point in the article i dont know what effect if any it will have on Rangers vs Celtic, Catholic vs Prodestant point of view i think there is too much history involved for it to ever disappear fully but i think people might judge certain tims a bit different now!

RIP Tommy Burns!

I watched the service (when I could, as the pc was slow) and it was sad of course, but I think we saw something special.

Tommy's wife Rosemarie had asked Walter and Ally to help carry the coffin. A unique and a first-time event.

It was clearly emotional for Walter and Ally and they did well to carry out their duties.

Maybe this sight can help us think twice when it comes down to how we address the 'other side'.

I hope its a step forward in the right direction.

I was in the pub with a Motherwell fan yesterday who was at the game on Saturday, and he said quite a few of the Gers fans at Fir Park turned their back and didn't applaud the minutes applause for Tommy.

Is this true!? :blink:

I watched the service (when I could, as the pc was slow) and it was sad of course, but I think we saw something special.

Tommy's wife Rosemarie had asked Walter and Ally to help carry the coffin. A unique and a first-time event.

It was clearly emotional for Walter and Ally and they did well to carry out their duties.

Maybe this sight can help us think twice when it comes down to how we address the 'other side'.

I hope its a step forward in the right direction.

Best post this year well done cooper, I hope this can be the case tommy death has affected everyone its a massive loss to scotland we will always have our rivalry but lets cut out the bigotry once and for all.

Tommy burns celtic legend scotland hero

RIP

Heard Ally was absolutely distraught. Seen him in the press conference last week after learning the news and he was in a state. Nice gesture by Tommys family to allow two good friends, who worked closely against him when he managed Celtic, and with him at Scotland to carry the coffin. He will be sadly missed by members of all Scottish clubs, and probably beyond.

RIP Mr Burns, you're legend will live on.

I was sitting right behind the goal and i never noticed anyone turn there back.

Couple of traditionals that just bowed there head and done a minutes silence, I had my back turned at some point during it as i was looking at the people behind me n that not as a sign of disrespect.

I was sitting right behind the goal and i never noticed anyone turn there back.

Couple of traditionals that just bowed there head and done a minutes silence, I had my back turned at some point during it as i was looking at the people behind me n that not as a sign of disrespect.

Just wondering.

He's just another supporter of a wee diddy team who hates anything to do with the OF.

Anyway, the ceremony was very moving and it was great to see Walter and Ally help carry the coffin. Both were probably closer to Tommy than anyone currently at Celtic, so it probably hit them harder. Tommy was a good man, played football the right way and was very unlucky not to win the league with his club and it's a terrible way to go.

Still - I think it's a disgrace that Celtic didn't call for a postponement. Must not have suited them this time.

Celtic's fans outside the church appreciated the presence of Smith and McCoist and so, I'm sure, did Rangers' fans when they heard. But can we assume they all realised the significance of this moment? Can we proceed confident this is now the time to ditch all the sectarianism ?

What sectarianism are you on about now traynor you just ruined your first decent article in the last decade with that drivel.

Edit: i preferred to have a minute of silence on Saturday and some edjit beside me had th nerve to ask me were my arms sore :angry2:

I guess this proves that occasionally Traynor does say something worthwhile. I caught the funeral by chance on BBC News 24, and it was surprising how moving it was, considering I'd never met, or had any contact with the guy.

The only thing that strikes me as strange is how his death very often is reported. More often than not the words Rangers and Celtic are brought up, when surely a more fitting way to remember him would be as the good and decent person he undoubtedly was? Not everything has to be about the Old Firm.

I was in the pub with a Motherwell fan yesterday who was at the game on Saturday, and he said quite a few of the Gers fans at Fir Park turned their back and didn't applaud the minutes applause for Tommy.

What do you think....utter bullshit. It's a disgrace how low people stoop just to have a dig at Rangers.

its sad to say but nothing will change just wait until the next old firm game.

We rarely agree but we're on the same page on this one.

Lovely heart rending article, but sadly bullshit.

OF rivalry is too ingrained to allow one exceptional circumstance change the course of history.

The thing is Minstral, its always been that way. I remember seeing interviews in the past, and, especially around the time Burns & McCoist etc were playing, saying the kicked lumps out of each other for 90 mins, then, would go for a pint after, if you look at Barry & McManus, not much has changed.

There will always be some kind of mutual respect and/or friendship between the players, and, probably the management, and, perhaps the fans will (perhaps grudgingly) respect some players from the opposite side, however, it has no bearing on how each set of fans feel about the other does it?

TB was a good guy, I met him a few times, and, seemed a genuine guy, who cared about his team. Is a loss for them, Scottish Football, and, one of the nice guys.

I still have no time or respect for the majority of their fans, and, never will, so, I dont understand the moving forward part. I dont take part in anything sectarian, so, perhaps if they stop singing songs glorifying those who have killed friends and relatives of mine, maybe I will not feel the same way.

:unionflag:

Probably the same morons who caused the trouble at Manchester......complete and utter arsholes. I still feel so ashamed to be a Rangers fan right now, we can never ever point the finger at any club and accuse their fans of being shitheads after the way our own behaved.

OF rivalry is too ingrained to allow one exceptional circumstance change the course of history.

I would have to agree Danny, I think yesterdays events will soon be forgotten.

I sincerely wish that were not the case, but realistically I cant see things changing. Unless people want to change, on both sides.

Was worth a try :(

Probably the same morons who caused the trouble at Manchester......complete and utter arsholes. I still feel so ashamed to be a Rangers fan right now, we can never ever point the finger at any club and accuse their fans of being shitheads after the way our own behaved.

:rolleyes: God, another one. I will bite my tongue so I dont get another reprimand from Danny :P

The thing is Minstral, its always been that way. I remember seeing interviews in the past, and, especially around the time Burns & McCoist etc were playing, saying the kicked lumps out of each other for 90 mins, then, would go for a pint after, if you look at Barry & McManus, not much has changed.

You can go back even further to the bad old days of Celtc's NIAR. The players got on off the pitch in those days. Don't see what he's getting at bringing the sectarian issue into it.

easy answer find another club to follow. :rangers:

easy answer find another club to follow. :rangers:

Careful, I got done for that the other day haha

Perhaps this lad hasnt seen all the papers etc I dont know, am finding it laughable that so many fans still come out with this guff.

I sincerely wish that were not the case, but realistically I cant see things changing. Unless people want to change, on both sides.

Seriously Coop, am confused? this one event is hardly just cause for a timmy love in from us and vice versa?

Perhaps, if some think that IS the way forward, we should invite them back on this board?

ANYONE WHO EVER FEELS ASHAMED TO BE A RANGERS FAN IS NOT A RANGERS FAN, SO WHY DONT YOU JUST F*** OFF !!!!!

Seriously Coop, am confused? this one event is hardly just cause for a timmy love in from us and vice versa?

Perhaps, if some think that IS the way forward, we should invite them back on this board?

Its not a Timmy love-in outlaw. Just maybe a small chance to take a step forward I thought.

There is no way we will let them back on RM. We tried having them as members from the birth of RM and it failed.

NOT A CHANCE.

ANYONE WHO EVER FEELS ASHAMED TO BE A RANGERS FAN IS NOT A RANGERS FAN, SO WHY DONT YOU JUST F*** OFF !!!!!

Behave. Everyone has a right to their opinion without being abused for it. That won't be tolerated here.