Rangers check on Swedish-based pair

Rangers check on Swedish-based pair

Two of Orebro SK's squad were watched by an Ibrox scout in their Allsvenskan match with AIK.

Ally McCoist has started planning for the new season, as he looks to add to his squad for the 2011/12 campaign.

Rangers had representation at Orebro SK’s fixture away to AIK on Monday night, with a scout casting an eye over Michael Almeback and Alejandro Bedoya.

Almeback, 23, is a central defender and made his debut for the Swedish national team in January 2010, playing in a 1-1 draw with Syria.

The pacey player has already expressed his desire to move away from Sweden when his contract expires at the end of the 2011 Allsvenskan season, which is scheduled to finish on October 23, and has also been subject to interest from an unnamed Dutch club.

Speaking of Rangers' presence in Stockholm, Almeback told Swedish newspaper NA: “Right now I am focusing on other things, until it becomes something concrete. But of course it is flattering that they are checking on me.”

Almeback came to worldwide attention when, in a training match with Zenit St Petersburg in February, he flew into a challenge which saw him collide with a stone wall behind the goal line.

Bedoya, who has been in Sweden since 2009, has seven caps for the United States’ national team and is also out of contract at the end of the Swedish season. The 24-year-old creative midfielder was in the preliminary 30-man US squad for the 2010 World Cup but was cut from the final 23-man selection.

A trial period with Birmingham City in February failed to result in a transfer bid for the player, with his agent warning Bedoya may find it difficult to gain a work permit, on account of his limited international appearances.

Future Rangers manager Ally McCoist is currently working within tight parameters with the proposed takeover of the club still without resolution. But the club have started to cast their net looking for fresh talent and have been active in scouting across Europe in recent weeks.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/246840-rangers-check-on-swedish-based-pair/

It's good to hear were looking at players for next season, what budget Ally McCoist will have at this stage is anybody guess though.

Apparently, Bedoya 'runs a marathon each game', while Almeback is 'one of the fastest players in Sweden'.

That's great, but entirely useless if it's the marathon of a headless chicken!

I'm sure Bedoya has come up before. Great that we've got the feelers out there. These look like B list signings for no takeover but that doesn't mean they couldn't be good additions

Heard about Bedoya- were either ourselves or Celtic not after him in the summer?

Also, I think we were linked with some other Swedish player called Jimmy a couple of months ago, and we signed some Austrian based Swede youth player recently, so it seems like McCoist's trying to exploit this market.

That must be a wind-up. :lol:

"Jimmy signs for Scottish Champions".

Good we are looking about but

The pacey player has already expressed his desire to move away from Sweden when his contract expires at the end of the 2011 Allsvenskan season, which is scheduled to finish on October 23
How would that work? It would be an awkward time to bring in players

I'm also skeptical if Bedoya would qualify for a work permit. He has less than 10 caps and would definitely need to be involved with the Gold Cup squad this summer to have a chance I'd say

I remember in August, McCoist went to scout Alejandro Bedoya and Benny Feilhaber. So remember checking them both out on FIFA World Cup 2010 game as USA. Seemed good then :craphead:

Brought up and living in Sweden, I think:

Things talking against these signings:

1: Past experiences with Swedes - Karl Svensson and Bojan Djordjic.

2: They're looking to move away from the 36th best league in Europe, which even sells people on to the Russian second division - and who wouldn't want to move away from that?

3: We compete with Herenveen - who are rumoured to already have given a bid - and Leicester.

Things talking pro these signings:

1: Past experiences with Swedes - Örjan Persson, Robert Prytz and Joachim Björklund.

2: Walters nack for finding talents.

3: Gems come out of mudholes at times. Zlatan, Freddie Ljungberg at his prime...

But as of now they would most probably end up as fillers and reserves, I would think. We should first and formost concentrate on players that will make the starting XI.

Brought up and living in Sweden, I think:

Things talking against these signings:

1: Past experiences with Swedes - Karl Svensson and Bojan Djordjic.

2: They're looking to move away from the 36th best league in Europe, which even sells people on to the Russian second division - and who wouldn't want to move away from that?

3: We compete with Herenveen - who are rumoured to already have given a bid - and Leicester.

Things talking pro these signings:

1: Past experiences with Swedes - Örjan Persson, Robert Prytz and Joachim Björklund.

2: Walters nack for finding talents.

3: Gems come out of mudholes at times. Zlatan, Freddie Ljungberg at his prime...

But as of now they would most probably end up as fillers and reserves, I would think. We should first and formost concentrate on players that will make the starting XI.

Couple of interesting points there:

They won't be on serious wages, so would be reasonable squad players if picked up on frees. I don't really see the point in signing filler midfielders though, as we have so many promising youngsters coming through in the middle of the park.

The competition for the signings certainly won't outbid us on wages or offering European football/trophies, but Eredivisie teams have a great record of picking up players from the Scandinavian leagues, developing them, and selling them on to bigger leagues, so Herenveen may interest them.

Couple of interesting points there:

They won't be on serious wages, so would be reasonable squad players if picked up on frees. I don't really see the point in signing filler midfielders though, as we have so many promising youngsters coming through in the middle of the park.

The competition for the signings certainly won't outbid us on wages or offering European football/trophies, but Eredivisie teams have a great record of picking up players from the Scandinavian leagues, developing them, and selling them on to bigger leagues, so Herenveen may interest them.

I think you're right. That's the way Swedish players usually go: Sweden -> Holland -> England, or -> Holland -> Italy. I would guess they'd see Scotland as a stepping stone as well. I think in general, if players and agents doesn't believe in England or Italy, they will go to Denmark and stay there, half of the Danish league has Swedish last names. It's a tad better and with much better money than the Swedish league.

Heard from friends close to the Örebro club that they had scouts from Alkmaar and Groeningen to check on those two on the last home game. They might be good, but not good enough for a bidding war.