Deadline Day memory: El-Hadji Diouf

Essandoh

Albeit it was the January window but it was a complete shock when Walter brought him in.

His whole career has been full of controversy, from spitting on fans, to his five year ban by the Senegalese FA. He was hardly great during his time at Ibrox but for the first time in his career his head finally seemed screwed on and it doesn't take a genius to realise that there was one man, and one man only, to credit for that.

I was pretty angry when he signed but he slowly won me over once it was clear that his attitude was far improved while he was wearing the blue. He kept the ball remarkably well and its been a while since I recall seeing a player keep possession so well. I guess that's what years in the Premier League does for you. Other than that, nothing really comes to mind. He scored one goal in 15 appearances and he was used pretty efficiently.

717px-Diouf_cropped.jpg

Thoughts?

I was disgusted when we signed him, in fact I suggested a protest on here about the very thought of him signing. http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=176362&st=60 .. He then went on to completly win me over with his effort and skill, his hate for the taigs also helped, they say football fans are fickle, when it comes to me they are right on the money !! Loved the guy, would love him back

It was definitely a controversial signing at the time and half of me believes

watty knew exactly the affect it would have in winding the tims up.

It was a tit for tat season that year in as we played them 7 times

and as usual guess who came out on top. (tu)

We did win the league that year deservedly but what a miserable run of games against those bastards.

That night was the night I discovered RM :D Was pretty disgusted we signed him at first but his antics winding up bigotballls and the bheasts was quality still think from a footballing perspective Diouf was capable of so much more than we got out of him if he had been here longer perhaps we might of seen some of the magic he can produce.