Is Walter Damaging His Legend?

I was very young when Walter was our manager the first time around. However I know that there are bad memories of his first spell in charge things like getting embarassed in Europe time and time again, various failed signings and failing to net that final title which would have led to 10 in a row.

I'm pretty sure that like me, most peoples memories from Walters first spell in charge are happy. We did 9 in a row, he built a team that were friends aswell as team mates and he brought guys like Gazza and Laudrup, players who went on to be genuine legends, in.

However this time around he is adopting a poor style of football with little imagination and flair and while he sticks to his policy of signing his buddies, guys like Miller, McCulloch and Dailly don't possess anywhere near as much talent as Durrant, McCall, McCoist and Goram did.

When Walter ultimately leaves again are we going to remember the trophy ladden first spell of Walter Smith or the second spell, where penny pinching, poor football and stubborness were all common place?

They do say you should never go back.............

Good post and i agree with it.

I am not a fan of bringing people back, it can work and it can be a disater like Jock Wallace was.

You are correct about the 10 in a row. He kept a hold of a lot of player 1 or 2 years longer than he should. It still bugs me that we never did 10 in a row and will till i die probably.

See if Walter had stepped upstairs at the end of the season and passed the reigns onto someone who would adopt a more attacking style of play and take the club forward, he'd be regarded as one of the best Managers we ever had.

However, he hasnt advanced the team and hasnt changed his approach. We should be kicking on this year, but instead we get worse.

He has done all he can and can only operate the one way

I am not a fan of bringing people back, it can work and it can be a disater like Jock Wallace was.

Go wash your mouth out. You'd better hope you go to hell when you die 'cos Jock will boot yer baws all over heaven for saying that.

If Jock was given the money Souness was, we'd be looking at 25 in a row by now.

I think Smith's hands are tied by the fact that Murray and his merry men have failed to keep Rangers in a place where having a decent standard of player at his disposal is a working option.

Going up against Shalke who can sign the calibre of Engelaar whilst we present Miller says it all.

Smith cannot be blamed for the budget. And, for me, the budget dictates the standard of player.

Go wash your mouth out. You'd better hope you go to hell when you die 'cos Jock will boot yer baws all over heaven for saying that.

If Jock was given the money Souness was, we'd be looking at 25 in a row by now.

Souness changed everything. I can't see Butcher, Woods, Roberts coming to Ibrox is Jock was there.

Obviously we'll never know and it's a totaly hypothetical situation. But facts are facts he came back and took us no where. You could even argue that if he had'nt come back and done nothing that the Souness revolution would not have happened.

I think Smith's hands are tied by the fact that Murray and his merry men have failed to keep Rangers in a place where having a decent standard of player at his disposal is a working option.

Going up against Shalke who can sign the calibre of Engelaar whilst we present Miller says it all.

Smith cannot be blamed for the budget. And, for me, the budget dictates the standard of player.

....................and the league we play in

have been thinkin this for some time, was glad when he left the first time, but he remained in a good status with myself..........

however as i have maintained from the day he was re-appointed, it was a bad idea to give him a 2nd spell and knew that it would end one way, he has already ruined his status with me and i have no doubt others, with many others close behind

I agree with that to a certain extent, but there is no doubt in my mind that Walter could have used the money he has been given a lot better.

Out of the 21 million (roughly) he has spent since he came back only Thomson and Cuellar have proven to be really good value for money.

He's thrown pretty large amounts of money at teams to make sure that his pals like McCulloch, Whittaker and Miller are here.

It's up to Walter to be a bit prudent and get value for money, but he really hasn't been.

I agree with that to a certain extent, but there is no doubt in my mind that Walter could have used the money he has been given a lot better.

Out of the 21 million (roughly) he has spent since he came back only Thomson and Cuellar have proven to be really good value for money.

He's thrown pretty large amounts of money at teams to make sure that his pals like McCulloch, Whittaker and Miller are here.

It's up to Walter to be a bit prudent and get value for money, but he really hasn't been.

Exactly, Walter has been given plenty of money to fix our ills - but he has wasted most of it on has beens or never will be's

On the one hand I want the Mint to give us more cash, but on the other I wouldnt trust Walter with it

Exactly, Walter has been given plenty of money to fix our ills - but he has wasted most of it on has beens or never will be's

On the one hand I want the Mint to give us more cash, but on the other I wouldnt trust Walter with it

So who's side are you on then ? Don't answer without laughing ! :sherlock:

The uefa cup final ( our first european final in 37 years) restored our dignity as a club and the scottish and cis cups.

As you can see he is doing a disasterous job

two cups we struggled to win, and flung away the title, and the most boring football i have ever had to watch from a rangers team.

The uefa cup final ( our first european final in 37 years) restored our dignity as a club and the scottish and cis cups.

yeah absolutely disastrous

Our dignity was lost with his tactics and selection in that game; europe saw a team frightened to try to win and fans were left wondering what if we had set out to win a one off game. I would have been happier to have lost by trying to compete and trying to win rather than losing by cowardly negative tacics.

i do agree here,

He was a brilliant manager when we first had him and got us some quality signings..He was also good after taking over the PLG era and steadied up a pretty shakey defense...

However, he has kept up the same tactic when it is time to move on. We are all getting bored of the type of football he brings with his 4-5-1 formation..

Its not getting us goals(we were one of the lowest scoring teams in the uefa cup)... which he stuck with in tonights game against shalke, which we lost and i must say i was bored watching it.

I appreciate all he has done for the club, i loved him first time round, but he needs a change in formation(and some quality signings)

The uefa cup final ( our first european final in 37 years) restored our dignity as a club

Not long back in from being out and was talking to a tim taxi driver, was talking about Manchester and he agreed with me when I said that the way I see Manchester is that it wasn't success as we didn't win. End of. He said he felt the same about seville.

Agree with Doc too but had to add my tuppence on the matter.

The uefa cup final ( our first european final in 37 years) restored our dignity as a club

Not long back in from being out and was talking to a tim taxi driver, was talking about Manchester and he agreed with me when I said that the way I see Manchester is that it wasn't success as we didn't win. End of. He said he felt the same about seville.

Funny you say that Boab,

Was in a taxi with a tim taxi driver and he brought up Manchester, he was saying that we never really had a go in the UEFA cup final which was strange to him!

Then he went on to talk about Seville, and he said although they lost the Uefa Cup Final just like us. Atleast his team had a go at trying to win it

I was stuck for words to say when he said that :mad:

Funny you say that Boab,

Was in a taxi with a tim taxi driver and he brought up Manchester, he was saying that we never really had a go in the UEFA cup final which was strange to him!

Then he went on to talk about Seville, and he said although they lost the Uefa Cup Final just like us. Atleast his team had a go at trying to win it

did you give him a tip? :craphead:

Funny you say that Boab,

A simple "GTF you DFB" would have sufficed. Failing that, "Who shagged all the bhoys?"

Aye DB, the subs always stick out for me too. Nacho on for the last 13 minutes and, whatever you think about him, Boyd came on with 4 minutes to go.

I'll never forgive Walter tbh, for the final, as a whole.

I remember thinking sitting behind the goal 'This is like Ibrox but with a wider stadium and 4 hours away from home'

Funny you say that Boab,

did you give him a tip? :craphead:

Did a Fcuk

Funny you say that Boab,

A simple "GTF you DFB" would have sufficed. Failing that, "Who shagged all the bhoys?"

:lol:

Aye DB, the subs always stick out for me too. Nacho on for the last 13 minutes and, whatever you think about him, Boyd came on with 4 minutes to go.

I'll never forgive Walter tbh, for the final, as a whole.

I remember thinking sitting behind the goal 'This is like Ibrox but with a wider stadium and 4 hours away from home'

I'm the same Boab :mad: