Bruce

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When: At the moment of my birth

How: Many are called but we are CHOSEN :rangers:

Why: Because We Are The People

I grew up in Scotland so I was a Rangers from early days.

I'd be really interested to hear from Jelle, Ukrainian or Diz on how they ended up following Rangers because I know they aren't of Scottish heritage.

:unionflag: There's a guy in our RSC down here in Wellington, New Zealand who is a New Zealander, Irish Catholic background, went on holiday many years ago, met a few of the Bears, had a great time and became enlightened !! During the UEFA Cup final he sang FTP all day !!

I was born in Glasgow (Bridgeton) , so it's in my blood ......... :bouncy:

i grew up supporting them in Oz because both my parents were born in Glasgow and supported the bears..now i live here as well...

I think you will find for alot of people its a family heritage thing, with their parents or grandparents being scottish so they automatically have some sort of allegeince or link to the club..

Since i was born i have supported the light blues, still remember the days of running around the pitches of sydney and 10,11 y.o with my ally mccoist strip on...

A really weird story actually :)

I'm an Antwerp-fan and in one of our pubs there was a banner of a tournament my club used to organise in the 70's and 80's, called the Metropool Tournament. One of the teams participating was Rangers, I knew a bit about them from watching European football, but not much. So I checked them out, saw a few things like Ibrox, fan pictures, the kit,... and fell in love :rangers:

My dad gave me a Rangers ball the day I was born and supposedly when I was a kid he used to fire his fist in to the air and I would shout 'Rangers'. He's from Glasgow so I learned it all from him.

I'm an Antwerp-fan and in one of our pubs there was a banner of a tournament my club used to organise in the 70's and 80's, called the Metropool Tournament. One of the teams participating was Rangers, I knew a bit about them from watching European football, but not much. So I checked them out, saw a few things like Ibrox, fan pictures, the kit,... and fell in love :rangers:

This is the kind of stories I wanted to read. :rangers:

Being from the states, I first became aware of Rangers when Claudio Reyna was signed, and I gradually followed them more and more reading whatever I could about them on the internet since at that time, you could rarely see them play on US television. The combination of Reyna signing and my own family's Scottish roots played a role in me becoming a Rangers supporter. After awhile, I was finally able to go to Ibrox for the first time for the Chelsea friendly last summer and was completely blown away. There's nothing in the States that could even come close to replicating the atmosphere, and that was just for a friendly! I couldn't even imagine how crazy it gets for Old Firm/European games.

Saw the 92 CL game against CSKA Moscow (in Bochum) live on german tv and was very impressed by the massive Rangers support. Found out more about the team, the tradition, the triumphs, the titles and also the tragedies and fell in love. Hamburg still no 1 but since this cold december winter 92 Rangers is in my heart!

I can only agree. Logic doesn't enter into it (though Rangers must be the logical choice). Nor is Rangers a lonely hearts club. Especially not in Sweden - which all of you know who read my first article on being a Ger in Sweden. Had I been a loser looking for likeminded I would've ended up a Smeltic fan.

But truth is I'm of Scottish descendence on my father's side. And that descendence is definately Rangers.

As to why it blossomed out in a country with few factors to make it grow, I can only point to the above quote.

I can only agree. Logic doesn't enter into it (though Rangers must be the logical choice). Nor is Rangers a lonely hearts club. Especially not in Sweden - which all of you know who read my first article on being a Ger in Sweden. Had I been a loser looking for likeminded I would've ended up a Smeltic fan.

But truth is I'm of Scottish descendence on my father's side. And that descendence is definately Rangers.

As to why it blossomed out in a country with few factors to make it grow, I can only point to the above quote.

I've talked to a Swedish guy on youtube who's a Rangers and Djurgardens fan, and also somebody on a forum who was an AIK and Rangers fan, don't know if any them is you.

I become Rangers fan back in the days when Gazza,Laudrup and Albertz were part of the club.I knew Albertz from Hamburger and Laudrup from Milan,Gazza from Euro`96,and so Ally.I couldn`t watch many Rangers games,as BG national tv was usually showing EPL and Spanish Primera,but with some sport papers i was up with the information about the club.The first Rangers game i saw on tv was Valencia - Rangers 2-0 (1999 CL).When i saw the team losing i felt really bad... And then i watched hightlights of the games against PSV (1-0),(4-1),Valencia(1-2),both Bayern games(we played great in there) and cause of that stupid Tarnat goal in last min at Ibrox we didn`t qualify for the next round..Since then i love Rangers more than any other football club in the world and i hate celtic on the same way.Of course there was another reason to hate celtc - that Stilyan Petrov joined them,let`s say i`ve never been fan of him :angry2: In 2000 year i started using computers,so it was much more easy for me to find anything about Rangers.About the fans,the history,etc...

This is my story,and this is the last time i justify why i love Rangers at someone in that forum (tu).

• 1 month later...

Went to a friendly against spurs in the 80s,when i first came to England from Barbados.My kids are Rangers fans as well,

We are all St holders,my friends think were mad.

Barbados loyal

Being from the states, I first became aware of Rangers when Claudio Reyna was signed, and I gradually followed them more and more reading whatever I could about them on the internet since at that time, you could rarely see them play on US television. The combination of Reyna signing and my own family's Scottish roots played a role in me becoming a Rangers supporter. After awhile, I was finally able to go to Ibrox for the first time for the Chelsea friendly last summer and was completely blown away. There's nothing in the States that could even come close to replicating the atmosphere, and that was just for a friendly! I couldn't even imagine how crazy it gets for Old Firm/European games.

Saw the 92 CL game against CSKA Moscow (in Bochum) live on german tv and was very impressed by the massive Rangers support. Found out more about the team, the tradition, the triumphs, the titles and also the tragedies and fell in love. Hamburg still no 1 but since this cold december winter 92 Rangers is in my heart!

I become Rangers fan back in the days when Gazza,Laudrup and Albertz were part of the club.I knew Albertz from Hamburger and Laudrup from Milan,Gazza from Euro`96,and so Ally.I couldn`t watch many Rangers games,as BG national tv was usually showing EPL and Spanish Primera,but with some sport papers i was up with the information about the club.The first Rangers game i saw on tv was Valencia - Rangers 2-0 (1999 CL).When i saw the team losing i felt really bad... And then i watched hightlights of the games against PSV (1-0),(4-1),Valencia(1-2),both Bayern games(we played great in there) and cause of that stupid Tarnat goal in last min at Ibrox we didn`t qualify for the next round..Since then i love Rangers more than any other football club in the world and i hate celtic on the same way.Of course there was another reason to hate celtc - that Stilyan Petrov joined them,let`s say i`ve never been fan of him :angry2: In 2000 year i started using computers,so it was much more easy for me to find anything about Rangers.About the fans,the history,etc...

This is my story,and this is the last time i justify why i love Rangers at someone in that forum (tu).

Absolutely brilliant stories guys. It makes me even prouder to be part of this club.

Great to see how this thread has developed. Puts some of the fair weather fans in the shade, eh? Its amazing to read about guys who have nothing more to get them motivated about Rangers than just starting out seeing some games on the TV.

I raise a glass to all of you, not the expat guys like me but the true non-British fans who are devoted bears after just watching a few games. :beer1:

Mighty oaks from little acorns grow (tu)