Dean Shields

Smurf1873

RANGERS fans' favourite Nacho Novo was today linked with a move out of Ibrox - with Hibs player Dean Shiels being tipped to replace him.

Spanish star Novo scored twice for his home region of Galicia in a game against Iran in La Coruna on Saturday night.

The Gers player hired a private plane to take him to the friendly after being involved in the Old Firm clash at Ibrox. After the match, Novo, who came on after 74 minutes in the 1-0 defeat to Celtic, hinted he may not be happy to stay on the bench at Rangers for much longer.

And Galicia manager Fernando Vazquez revealed Novo, who is believed to be interesting Hull City, was watched by local La Liga side Deportivo La Coruna.

Vazquez said: "Nacho was amazing for us. He has so much energy it is incredible. I can't believe he isn't playing for a club in Spain, but I do know Deportivo were watching him."

Novo added: "Of course, I will always give everything whenever I go on the pitch, but I don't want to be remembered as the super sub.

"When I have been playing regularly I have always scored goals. If I play every game I know I can score 25 goals for Rangers.

"It is about getting chances and playing constantly. But I need to respect the manager's decisions."

Rangers manager Walter Smith is believed to be ready to make a move for Hibs ace Shiels in the January transfer window.

Smith sent chief scout Ewan Chester to watch the 23-year-old Northern Ireland midfielder in the game with Kilmarnock at Easter Road on Saturday.

Shiels, whose contract expires in the summer, scored twice from the spot in a 4-2 defeat for Mixu Paatelainen's men.

The former Arsenal starlet is also believed to be interesting English Coca-Cola Championship clubs Ipswich, Cardiff and Burnley.

Andrius Velicka, meanwhile, could be heading back to former club Hearts on loan after failing to hold down a regular first-team place with the Gers.

The Lithuanian, who joined from Viking FK of Norway in the summer in a surprise £1million move, is interesting Jambos boss Csaba Laszlo.

Elsewhere, Swedish Under-21 captain and centre half Mattias Bjarsmyr has been linked with a move to Rangers.

The 22-year-old IFK Gothenburg player, who has been capped twice by his country's senior team, is one of several defenders currently on Smith's radar, including Tonel of Sporting Lisbon.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2478270.0.0.php

according to Keevins this morning , Ewan Chester has been watching Dean Shiels and the captain of Sweden u21 squad.

Thats not league fightback signings i'm afraid and the Swedish guy wants to think again if we are interested , as under Smith he will progress no further , youth doesn't get a chance at Ibrox , go ask Aaron and how long before Fleck gets p*ssed off !!!

no fight , no ambition , no flucking clue !!!!

according to Keevins this morning , Ewan Chester has been watching Dean Shiels and the captain of Sweden u21 squad.

Thats not league fightback signings i'm afraid and the Swedish guy wants to think again if we are interested , as under Smith he will progress no further , youth doesn't get a chance at Ibrox , go ask Aaron and how long before Fleck gets p*ssed off !!!

he must be doing something right if hes the sweden under 21 captain

aye....karl svensonn must have been doing something right as well prior to us signing him as he was ifk gothanburg captain

aye....karl svensonn must have been doing something right as well prior to us signing him as he was ifk gothanburg captain

Karl Svensonn has actually turned into a pretty decent CB!!

It just didnt work out for him at Rangers

6 games for Caen since leaving us in 2007 !!! , he's set the world alight right enough

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Svensson

6 games for Caen since leaving us in 2007 !!! , he's set the world alight right enough

I never said he set the world alight!! I said "decent". Huge difference.

I only seen him in a few games and like i said he was "decent" in those games. NOT world class

He has obviously not improved too much then.

I remember he was hotly tipped to be the next star CB for Sweden and all the players over there were raving about him

How many times have we snapped up a hot prospect though?!

I never said he set the world alight!! I said "decent". Huge difference.

I only seen him in a few games and like i said he was "decent" in those games. NOT world class

He has obviously not improved too much then.

I remember he was hotly tipped to be the next star CB for Sweden and all the players over there were raving about him

How many times have we snapped up a hot prospect though?!

A decent central defender should be able to do basics like head the ball and tackle without putting his own team under more pressure.Svensson still fails to manage this art.

Unable to comment on the other next big thing since I have never seen him.

cant see the shields one to be honest lol

I agree mate, what position does he actually play? I don't even think he knows. Any time I see him for Hibs he just sort of runs about between midfiel, right wing and suporting striker. Walter will love this 'versatility' though.

well lets no start comparing 2 diffrent players then

So, you off load Nacho Novo - which for the rumoured fee of £2m, I agree with - and you replace him with a player who is not guaranteed a game at Hibs, a player who has done very little in the SPL and is on par with Alan Gow. Fcuk me, are things really that bad?

Rangers prepare to swoop for Hibs ace Dean Shiels

RANGERS are ready to step up interest in Hibs playmaker Dean Shiels.

Ibrox chief scout Ewan Chester ran the rule over him at Easter Road on Saturday as Hibs lost 4-2 to Kilmarnock.

The 23-year-old Northern Ireland internationalist scored twice from the penalty spot as he returned from a foot injury.

Shiels is out of contract in the summer and several sides in England, including Burnley, Preston, Doncaster, Ipswich, Bristol City and Plymouth, are keen to sign him.

Hibs are keen to extend his stay but Shiels has been at Easter Road almost five years and may fancy a change.

Rangers boss Walter Smith is a long-time admirer of the former Arsenal youth starlet and could sanction talks with his agent later this week about a deal for next season.

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/2008/12...86908-21002365/

as per usual with walter smith the same as gow last year we get Shiels on a bosman and dont give him a chance whats the point in even going for the lad

To weaken the opposition. Same happened with Petric, Adamczuk and Gow. And then there's Septic who signed Riordan and Killen to weaken Hibs and Pressley to weaken Hearts.

Id give Novo a run of games now to prove hes still got it

Who do you drop upfront?

Cause Novo ain't a WINGER!

Miller

The thing is you drop Miller then Boyd game suffers, it the old catch 22.

I think Novo can provide for Boyd while being 100x more lethal in the box, im trying to remember if theyve ever had a run of games together

I was just watching the highlights from Saturday and im certain Novo would have scored one of they chances, although he wasnt in my 1st choice 11

Id give Novo a run of games now to prove hes still got it

Who do you drop upfront?

Cause Novo ain't a WINGER!

Miller

The thing is you drop Miller then Boyd game suffers, it the old catch 22.

I think Novo can provide for Boyd while being 100x more lethal in the box, im trying to remember if theyve ever had a run of games together

I was just watching the highlights from Saturday and im certain Novo would have scored one of they chances, although he wasnt in my 1st choice 11

Even though it pains me to say Novo couldn't do the same job that Miller does, he's not that kind of player.

Would Boyd be able to raise his game even further to make him and Novo work, i have serious doubts.