Alan Brazil defends BJK

Craigy

Alan, who grew up in Simshill in the shadow of Hampden Park, turned out for Celtic Boys’ Club. He said: “I scored 62 goals in my last year at the boys’ club — that has to merit getting a chance for Celtic.

“Maybe Big Jock Stein just didn’t fancy me — but then he picked me for the World Cup in ‘82, so it doesn’t make sense.

“Whether the problem I had with Celtic Boys’ Club prevented me from signing with Celtic I don’t know.”

Pervert

That problem was pervert general manager Jim Torbett.

His crimes became public in 1996 when Brazil revealed he had been molested at the age of 13 at Torbett’s home in Sighthill, Glasgow.

Torbett was subsequently jailed for two and a half years in 1998.

Since then a section of Rangers fans have been blasted for singing ‘Big Jock Knew’ at games.

The chant alleges former Scotland and Celtic boss Jock Stein, right, tried to cover up Torbett’s sordid crimes. Me: “So did Big Jock know?”

Alan says emphatically: “No chance. Big Jock wouldn’t stand for any nonsense would he?

“But I tell you who did know — The Kelly family who ran Celtic at the time.

“They stood by him. One of the Kellys was even with Torbett in court. That p****d me off big style.”

Alan, who has three daughters Michelle, 25, Lucy, 23, and 17-year-old Stephanie with wife Jill, added: “I got lots of negative comments.

“Even in court the judge asked me why I hadn’t said something at the time.

“It’s not something you go home and say to your mum and dad ‘guess what happened to me today?’

“But I promise you there were lots of others. I had a phone call afterwards from a well-known footballer who played in England.

“He was in tears, saying he was so glad I’d come forward.

“It wasn’t just Celtic Boys’ Club. These paedophiles are attracted to anything with children.

“If they had touched any of my daughters I’d have killed them.”

As for the Rangers fans’ sick chants, Alan laughs: “Uch, I expected that. I grew up with all that I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it.

“As long as both sides are just 90-minute bigots inside the stadium and not outside, I’ve not got a problem. I hate all this talk of docked points and fines — what a load of nonsense.

“That’s what makes the Celtic-Rangers rivalry so unique.”

Easy to say when you live hundreds of miles away I guess.

But Alan clearly loves London life. He has a flat near Canary Wharf and returns home to his missus in Suffolk at weekends.

He said: “I’m convinced I gave the English the word numpty.

“No one said it down here 10 years ago. Now it even pops up on EastEnders.

“I’m going to try them with ‘gallus’ next.”

Wrecked

But how did a boy from Glasgow’s southside end up with a name like Brazil anyway?

Alan smiles: “Ah, that’s a long story.

“Basically it involves a ship from the Spanish Armada being wrecked off the coast of Ireland, a survivor, and the potato famine... ”

Sounds like a good pub tale to me.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kellys knew, the Kelly's knew, the Kelly's knew, the Kelly's knew.

On a more serious note, is he trying to tell us that the owners of the beggers knew, but the manager didn't? Aye my arse.

I think we should just change it to, "EVERYONE KNEW".

EDIT: Have you got a link to that?

“Maybe Big Jock Stein just didn’t fancy me .

:D

Unfortunately Torbett did eh Alan. Hahahahahahahaha!

What the fuck is funny about a child being abused you lowlife scumbag???

Guest Andypendek

Well done Brazil.

Your show is still rubbish, though.

Even though I haven't listened to it for about 3 years!

Not that anyone's interested, but I wonder how many of us would have the balls to talk about getting molested so openly?

Liked this.

As long as both sides are just 90-minute bigots inside the stadium and not outside, I’ve not got a problem. I hate all this talk of docked points and fines — what a load of nonsense.

“That’s what makes the Celtic-Rangers rivalry so unique.”

Easy to say when you live hundreds of miles away I guess.

“Maybe Big Jock Stein just didn’t fancy me .

:D

Unfortunately Torbett did eh Alan. Hahahahahahahaha!

What the fuck is funny about a child being abused you lowlife scumbag???

FFS, don't be so easily offended sir.

wasnt it admitted in open court that jock stein knew about it? Not saying he knew it was going and just let it continue. As far as i am aware he found out and kicked torbett out but swept the whole thing under the carpet and didnt go to the police. Thats what the chant is getting at. The cover up is just as bad as the child abuse, how many more kids did he abuse in the 20 years he was walking the streets i wonder??

Jock Sein knew, but I'm so fucking sick of that chant that it's indescribable.

Fair play to Brazil for down playing the seriousness of it though, football fans the world over use anything possible to piss off their opponents. Only in Scotland is it seen as a crime.

The police should be concentrating on locking up paedophiles, rapists, muggers, drug dealers (but not mine) etc etc. Not wasting their time at a football game looking for excuses to jail someone out for a sing song.

I think the sick f***s on here laughing at child abuse truly are scum. I thought the BJK thing was about highlighting the child abuse problem at Celtic in the 60s and how despicable that was, not glorifying in the rape of kids.

As for Alan Brazil, he's hardly defending the BJK campaign. What he's saying is that it's part and parcel of the Old Firm rivalry for these kind of songs to be sung.

Alan Brazil has in effect defended Jock Stein, whilst laying the blame squarely at the foot of the Kellys. Now Alan Brazil would know, seeing as he was one of the victims.

But I guess singing "the Kelly's knew" would not have the desired effect, would it?

Which leads me to the question: are we upholders of morality, or are some of us just too quick to revel in what is a shameful episode, even to the point of making jokes about a rape victim?

I think the sick f***s on here laughing at child abuse truly are scum. I thought the BJK thing was about highlighting the child abuse problem at Celtic in the 60s and how despicable that was, not glorifying in the rape of kids.

As for Alan Brazil, he's hardly defending the BJK campaign. What he's saying is that it's part and parcel of the Old Firm rivalry for these kind of songs to be sung.

Alan Brazil has in effect defended Jock Stein, whilst laying the blame squarely at the foot of the Kellys. Now Alan Brazil would know, seeing as he was one of the victims.

But I guess singing "the Kelly's knew" would not have the desired effect, would it?

Which leads me to the question: are we upholders of morality, or are some of us just too quick to revel in what is a shameful episode, even to the point of making jokes about a rape victim?

Beep Beep :D

Wind your neck in you sanctimonious loser!