A question from our friend Ukrainian

nvager

I wouldn't say we have a relationship, but Liverpool used to be a lot like Glasgow back in the day. Irish immigrants from both sides of the divide and so just like Glasgow transferred their problems to Liverpool. Hence the reason Liverpool has one of the biggest loyalist populations outside Ulster. There is a lot of friendship from both the Liverpool clubs, but nothing big. Personally, I hate Everton...but I am after all a Liverpool fan.

I'm a Liverpool fan because my father is a Liverpool fan. He's Rangers first and foremast, the same as me, but we like Liverpool...we LOVE Rangers. I've been to Anfield a few times and I've also stood in the KOP for a game against Manchester United, which is funny because I'd have been pissed off if a Liverpool fan took up a ticket for a Rangers and Celtic game. I suppose that makes me a hypocrite.

I hope you understand that!

Im not too fussed about them, I like to keep track of Arteta and they have some cracking players, Moyes being scottish too but this is part of one of their songs

Oh we hate Bill Shankly,

And we hate St John,

But most of all we hate Big Ron,

And we'll hang the Kopites one by one,

On the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey

Oh we hate Liverpool,

And we hate Rangers,

So we'll fight, fight, fight,

With all our might,

For the lads in the Royal Blue Jersey !

I hope you understand that!

Yes, certainly. I didn't doubt in your love to Rangers. Simply I ask - you dislike Everton because you are Liverpool supporter only. Right? Or are there other reasons?

here is an article which may shed some light

ARE EVERTONIANS CATHOLIC OR PROTESTANT?

A balanced view by Michael Kenrick

For many of us, supporting Everton becomes a religion expressed through adulation, dedication, and undying allegiance. In the good old days (before Sky TV), regular attendance at the holy ground on the Sabbath was a sacrament that brought with it the gamut of religious experience, from depression and despair to sheer ecstasy. And with Everton some of these aspects remain unchanged despite the ructions of recent years.

Human nature will cause some to blur the distinction between football, the one true religion, and other religions that may be more widely recognized as such. Thus, it is no surprise that many have wondered over the years whether Everton drew its support more from the Catholic or Protestant side of the City of Liverpool. And once you ask this question, it follows that the other lot must therefore support Liverpool FC... Wrong!

Everton Football Club started life as St Domingo's Boys Club: cricket in the summer, and football in the winter. Despite the distinctly Latin flavour of the name, St Domingo's was a Methodist church in the Everton district of Liverpool. The football club was what might now be termed an outreach programme for the strapping youths of that parish. In this respect, Everton shared an initial religious connection with many of the other new clubs that were to form the Football League back in 1892.

Sam Johnstone of the Football Research Unit at Liverpool University says those speculating on the origins of the Liverpool-Everton, Protestant-Catholic thing are talking nonsense. "Both clubs were founded by the same people (essentially the wealthy, protestant middle classes of 19th-century Liverpool) from the same church (St Domingo's, a protestant church)," he says.

"The story of Liverpool's formation is familiar to all. Everton were formed in 1878, team falls out with John Houlding (the guy who owns Anfield), Houlding forms Liverpool FC in 1892, the rest we know about. What is more interesting is the involvement of the Masons. The guys who formed LFC and EFC were wealthy, middle class, protestant, businessmen and, importantly, pillars of the political and religious establishment (Houlding went on to become Lord Mayor of Liverpool). Freemasonry attracted these very people (for many reasons) and it is known that Houlding and his friend W Barclay were in the Lodge.

"And, of course, this was repeated nationwide. For those teams that didn't come specifically from the Catholic church (Celtic), it was likely that the factory and mill owners were involved in charitable organisations, religion and politics (all masonic activities). It is no coincidence that the meeting that led to the formation of the FA took place in a pub called the Freemason's Tavern. Or am I just a conspiracy theorist?"

Whatever religious connection there might have been originally, it seems to have faded fast as the popular appeal of football grew and the name changed within a year to Everton Football Club. None of the early characters involved in establishing the club appeared to have expressed any religious position regarding the club, apart from a mild objection that early meetings were held in the public rooms of Houlding's Queens Head Hotel – within smelling distance of the evil alcohol.

There appears to be little real evidence to suggest any strong relationship between support of Everton and adherence to either the Catholic or Protestant faiths. Parental family ties appear to have been much stronger, with many current Evertonians citing fathers or grandfathers (of either religion) who were true blue, through and through.

On an individual basis, it must have been comforting for some to draw a parallel between allegiance to the club, and faith in God. But on a larger perspective, it seems that many families united by their religious origins include both true blues and other misguided souls who are seduced by the red devils from hell, aka Liverpool FC.

Peter Farrell The possibility of a religious connection may be relatively recent and purely accidental. Through the 1950's, the Everton team took on a distinctly Irish flavour, with the likes of Peter Farrell and Tommy Eglington becoming big crowd favourites. This brought about a significant influx of Irish fans, and may have been responsible for suggesting a Catholic flavour. Prior to this, there may have been a majority of Orangemen with a history of family support for the club from the early part of the century. Either way, it probably matters very little today, to all except a few zealots and fundamentalists.

Other subtle clues help only to cloud the issue, such as an indefinable link (in the minds of some supporters) between Everton and Glasgow Celtic, rather than Glasgow Rangers — the Bears being more readily tied with Liverpool FC.

The religious division between the two Glasgow rivals is a very real factor that bears no comparison on Merseyside, where the two clubs grew from the same root. However, this last factor is immortalized in the words of one Goodison anthem that had its origin in the 1960's, when the historic internecine rivalry between Shankly's Liverpool and Catterick's Everton reached new heights:

Oh we hate Bill Shankly, and we hate St John

But most of all, we hate Big Ron

And we'll hang the kopites one by one

On the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey

So to hell with Liverpool and Rangers too

We'll drown them all in the Mersey

And we'll fight, fight, fight with all our might

For the lads in the Royal Blue Jerseys.

Conspiracy theorists will suggest that his thread underlies the incomprehensible treatment (directed at Glasgow Rangers) handed down to Everton's Nineties cult-hero, Duncan Ferguson, by a Scottish hierarchy steeped in religious bigotry that has no place in football. However, as far as Everton FC are concerned, the links with the two Glasgow clubs seem relatively evenly balanced.

The record books show that transfers of players from both the Glasgow clubs have occurred consistently since the earliest years of EFC. And recent ties, such as the loans of Ian Durrant and Duncan Ferguson from Rangers in 1994, and Dave Watson's Testimonial against Rangers in 1997-98 – contrasted with Neville Southall's testimonial opponents Celtic a couple of years earlier – must demonstrate that no such preferential or religious connection exits in practice. The mix continued with ex-Rangers manager, Walter Smith, bringing in ex-Celtic midfielder John Collins. Richard Gough and Paul Gascoigne both played for Rangers; David Moyes and Alan Stubbs both played for Celtic.

In this day and age, when religion lies at the heart of so much pain and suffering, it would pay us to distance ourselves from this divisive issue. Of course, that will not stop the more boisterous young supporters looking for any issue to polarise on. But to deny its existence would be to ignore or implicitly rewrite an aspect of the unique history and culture that surrounds and sustains supporters of Everton Football Club.

http://www.toffeeweb.com/fans/beingblue/religion.asp

Everton fans fcuking hate Rangers fans with a passion, dirty scouse thieving scum

I wouldn't agree with that. Infact, I'd go as far to say that some of the lads from Liverpool I know would give you a slap for saying that. But then again, it's all bigots and loyalists I know from Liverpool. :craphead:

Even a few of the burds would scratch your eyes out!

He's not our friend at the moment with daggers drawn in the tennis at Braehead :rolleyes:

So far as Everton go I have a soft spot for any team in blue although would probably still favour Liverpool because Souness and Hansen were lifting European Cups when I was playing football at school

Guest Andypendek

I sing 'Bringon the Hibs, the Hearts and the C****c' and I couldn't care less about 2 out of the 3 of them. Probably most Everton fans hardly know we exist for all the impact Rangers FC have on their lives, and just the same if there wasn't the TV coverage of English football I wouldn't think about Everton (either good or bad) at all.

I was born and have spent nearly all my life in Liverpool. My father and all his family and most of my friends (mostly C of E) supported and support Everton but as a child in the early fifties I chose to support Liverpool, though I watched both teams on a regular basis. At this time, Everton had an influx of R of I players such as Eglington, Farrell, Clinton and others whose names I can't remember. I think this was when support became divided on religious lines.

That was along time ago and now the only team I follow is the mighty Rangers. Having said that, if I had to choose between ths two Liverpool clubs, I'd definitely choose Everton. As Mike Parry said recently --"Everton is a proper club, with proper supporters and a proper stadium" Liverpool has been spoilt by its foreign ownership and this is what makes me horrified at the thought of Rangers being sold to the wrong people.

By the way, lots of Liverpool supporters wear scarves and hats half red and white and half green and white, usually with Celtic woven in.

As for the Everton supporters hating Rangers, this is not true. The fact is that when Rangers have been in town, a small number of scum have come out detemined to make trouble.