Coverage of the UEFA Semi-Final last year

papaguy51

Morning people.

I've got a 1000 word essay to do that compares and contrasts the coverage of two sporting events. I'm going to take a different twist on it and compare the coverage of our game v Fiorentina last year by ITV and STV.

Was there anything that really stuck out for you in the coverage that you think would make good essay material? I remember a lot posters enjoying ITV's coverage much, much more than old Archie on STV.

Any pointers would be appreciated (tu)

What you could note was the fact ITV is the english based channel and STV is obviously scottish based, but a lot of people like me were more satisfied with ITV's coverage due to the fact they seemed a bit more enthusiastic in their support/general well wishing of Rangers in the competition.

ITV's pre match coverage was a lot more in interesting with them taking cameras to murray park etc for an in depth background etc etc . Whereas with STV im sure its a few pricks rambling 5 adverts then the game.

Hope this helps in some way (tu)

ITV were so much more professional and objective in their presentation, STV certainly, from what I gather were more critical of the way Rangers set out their stall. I was certainly dissapointed we could not get ITV4 coverage for the final, for two reasons; the coverage with no baggage and the fact that I was starting to see ITV4 coverage as a good omen given some of the breaks we did enjoy during the run.

ITV was way better for me. Commentary was much more in depth and you could tell they had a much better knowledge of the game.

Presentation was soooo much better and as mentioned above they had a genuine enthusiasm toward us which was a nice change.

Plus you never had to listen to Archie shout "Oooooomph, there goes the ball for a throw-in!"

I remember the ITV commentary during the whole Fiorentina away game being pretty interesting, you'll most likely be able to find something in there to write about. Also it was ITV where the commentators laughed at the 'Nakamura ate my dog' banner (HT at Lisbon), most likely prompting complaints from the scum.

'Manchester brace yourself....BECAUSE RANGERS ARE COMING!!!! And you know what? Manchester might not be big enough!' QUality (tu)

This quote will stick with me the rest of my life, i still smile when I hear it (tu)

I think on the whole it was much more professional and you could really tell they were unbiased, rooting for a British team to make it through. I actually dropped ITV an email saying how much better a broadcast it was than we got up here!

Good luck bud

:gerbad:

ITV + ITV4 had brilliant build up to each match quality presenters and analysts.

I also think every STV match was pessimistic in that they would say "tonight will be too tough for Rangers" or "could be the end of the road etc" and ITV would say things like "if Rangers keep playing the way they have been they will win tonight" just small stuff like that no need to sit on the fence support the home team and get behind them.

Guest Andypendek

Some ideas:

- the build up on ITV4 being a full half hour, with McCoist interview and look back at the earlier rounds, as against STV's three minute preamble then adverts: one approach showed a narrative which allowed a build up of atmosphere and, for those who were supporters, excitement; the other showed disinterest, and for those who were supporters, crass bias. Would Celtic have been accorded second place behind Corrie? Debate!

- the preference for the ITV4 commentary team against STV's. There are those who no doubt see all Scots TV types as against Rangers, but even the most level headed seemed to go for the English-Irish combo of whats'is name and Jim Beglin. Whether they meant it or not, whether they were merely playing to the audience or not, they expressed involvement, excitement and a sense of occasion; the local chaps just moaned that our expensively assembled team of global superstars weren't thrashing the journeyman pros of Fiorentina by half time.

- the issue of competence aside, the preference for the English coverage raises interesting issues relating to how Scots percieve themselves. Why did so many take ITV4 instead of STV? Was there novelty value? Did we enjoy seeing new faces instead of the same old same old (esp. Archie)? Was it due to residual suspicion of STV, and what does that say about the viewers' mindset? Did one channel play up to the audience while another slapped it in the face? Does the mere fact that these questions exist mean coverage of any OF game is an impossible task for a broadcaster?

1,000 words, have fun. I reckon you could do a thesis on this.

STV had to attempt to counteract the media biasm between Rangers/Celtic pundits and the fans but as usual got it horribly wrong. Kinda like Setanta do every single SPL game involving Rangers or Celtic.

ITV didn't have to worry about the balance, and the commentators were in favour of Rangers winning without being excessive.

Was it not the BBC who didn't have any buildup whatsoever, and just went straight into the game without evening announcing teams? I think it was Bremen at home, unbelievable.

Was that not because of the German tv times, and the news being unable to be shifted?

As some others have already said, ITV actually wanted Rangers to do well. Jim Beglin is a fantastic commentator ( yes, I know he is Irish, yes I know he played for the ROI national team, so what?) and his insight was generally spot on. They wanted us to do well, and didnt hide the fact. And all the pundits in the studio etc on the road to Manchester, like Andy Townsend, Robbie Earl (is that the right guy I have?!) all wanted Gers to do well as Ally is a personal friend for all of them, from his time when he used to Champions league nights with them. ITV was very good

Was it not the BBC who didn't have any buildup whatsoever, and just went straight into the game without evening announcing teams? I think it was Bremen at home, unbelievable.

Was that not because of the German tv times, and the news being unable to be shifted?

Could well have been.

like most people have said, ITV were more professional in their coverage of all ties and not just the final

their commentary was as good as could be for a scottish club being further than any english clubs,

contrastingly i would have thought STV would have been like john motson is with england, bragging about it every round etc

instead they were fucking awful

then the penalty shoot out

"MANCHESTER BRACE YOURSELF.......<novo steps up and slams home the penalty> RANGERS ARE COMING"

never heard anything after that as i was banging on any solid object i could see in my livingroom