KYLE LAFFERTY: Let me at 'em boss

KYLE LAFFERTY fired Rangers into the Scottish Cup semi-finals then begged: Let me loose on Celtic.

The hitman, 21, is desperate for the chance to gun down the Hoops in Sunday’s Co-operative Insurance Cup Final at Hampden.

Lafferty hit a double against Hamilton to book a last-four clash with St Mirren and take his strike tally to seven for the season.

He said: “I hope I keep my place.

“Strikers are judged on goals and with two in this match I hope to play in the final next week.

“It wasn’t really on my mind — I just take each game on its own. But hopefully I’ll get the nod for Hampden.”

Lafferty was preferred in attack to top scorer Kris Boyd in a gamble by Walter Smith and No2 Ally McCoist. But it was a move that paid off.

Steven Whittaker opened the scoring for Gers before Rocco Quinn briefly handed Hamilton some hope.

But Lafferty restored Rangers’ lead before a controversial Aaron penalty put Gers 3-1 in front just before half-time.

Steven Davis then scored a superb fourth before Lafferty completed the rout with nine minutes remaining.

And the Northern Irish ace knows Saints — who shocked Celtic 1-0 on Saturday — will be no pushovers.

Lafferty smiled: “I thought I did okay. I got two goals and I’m delighted with that.

“I just want to wear the light blue jersey and will play anywhere for the team, but thankfully I got a shot up front.

“As a fan it would be amazing to win things here and as a player I think we deserve it.

“We’ve been playing good football and one of the goals against Accies involved 36 passes.

“That’s what we can do and hopefully it can continue until the end of the season.

“I ignore all the chat about me and go out to do the best for the team. I thought I did that.

“I’m happy with the draw but Saints gave Celtic a hard game and we know to expect exactly the same.”

Gers put the crushing disappointment of last week’s midweek SPL defeat to Caley behind them as they answered their critics in style.

And Lafferty insisted: “Everyone knew that Wednesday was a one-off.

“We didn’t perform against Inverness, but we knew if we passed the ball and worked our socks off then we would claim our reward.

“It’s all about character and just how much heart you have.

“It’s a big club and I want to do well. If we play as we can then we’ll win games.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2305769.ece

Yeah I'd start him aswell, he certainly deserves to - just like he has and not in the last few weeks.

Just as long as he leaves it at that and doesn't start begging to be played. I can't stand it when players do that, especially when they come out and say they are ready to 'gun down' celtc.

Hamilton are/were very poor and we should not be thinking that our problems were resolved today.

This Rangers team is fragile in my opinion, but I still think we can and will win the treble.

We could just as easily lose the lot though. Its balanced on a knife edge.

Hamilton are/were very poor and we should not be thinking that our problems were resolved today.

This Rangers team is fragile in my opinion, but I still think we can and will win the treble.

We could just as easily lose the lot though. Its balanced on a knife edge.

i agree nvager and we should not get carried away.

Didn't impress me today but did score twice. I really have no idea what i want for the cup final, but i'm almost 100% sure Smith will play Miller as a lone striker.

<cr>

Guest therabbitt

I've always had faith that Lafferty will show what he is made of and be a really really good player for the club. Glad that he was given the opportunity to show that yesterday to the management and some of the fans who have been on his case far too early.

by all means play lafferty next week

but i still say that we should be 4-5-1 next week, as long as the 2 wide men get their arses in gear going forward and fergie and mendes pass t forwards we could easily beat they cunts

wouldnt mind seeing edu as defensive mid either, guy looks like he could stroll through games

As it's a cup final I think we should go 4-4-2 and have Miller and Lafferty up front and really go for the jugular from the kick off, put them on the back foot and they won't know what's hit them.

What i'd want to see (tu)

Walter will probaly play Miller upfront alone and stick McCulloch in to the midfield. I'd like to see Lafferty played upfront with Novo (if fit) with Fleck and Boyd on the bench.

why do people want Lafferty to play against them on sunday this changes everytime we play them people want boyd with miller now they want lafferty because he played a half decent game against hamilton.

well we al know what he will play 4-5-1- miller up front himself Lafferty will come on on the 75th min for wee fleck

you can read smith like a book

Probably because a lot want us to play 4-4-2 and if we go with that then Lafferty deserves to start ahead of Kris Boyd as he's proved over the last month or so that he's a better option. Lafferty put in more work yesterday than Boyd has done in the whole of January and February and the Miller_Lafferty partnership looked pretty good.

Didn't impress me today but did score twice. I really have no idea what i want for the cup final, but i'm almost 100% sure Smith will play Miller as a lone striker.

Miller will start as the lone striker,Lafferty(like it or not)will start wide left,and big Lee will start behind the mid-field.

Even if he usually isn't i really can't see him letting McCoist take charge of a cup final against Celtic.

I agree.

I also don't see why people are so certain Miller will start. People were saying the same before the last game at the piggery, and Lafferty started and played well.

Even if he usually isn't i really can't see him letting McCoist take charge of a cup final against Celtic.

I agree.

I also don't see why people are so certain Miller will start. People were saying the same before the last game at the piggery, and Lafferty started and played well.

I don't think Miller was fully fit to start that game?