It's official - the Premiership is the world's top league

Given the results over the last 24-hours (OK, Arsenal got lucky) who could argue that the English Premiership is THE best league in world football?

For at least the last decade it has dominated Europe, Man Utd are sitting as world champions and current European Champions, Chelsea aspire to be up with them (why not), Liverpool have seen it, done it and bought the tee-shirt in Europe and now a rebuilding Arsenal are in with a shout.

Meanwhile the UEFA Cup has its fair share of English representation up to and including semis and finals.

We have a mountain to climb to get anywhere near these guys nowadays, yet think back to the days when we feared no-one in England.

We have one of the best supported football clubs in the world and our potential is enormous.

We must think large. We can do it.............some day...........maybe........possibly........etc., etc. :party:

Given the results over the last 24-hours (OK, Arsenal got lucky) who could argue that the English Premiership is THE best league in world football?

For at least the last decade it has dominated Europe, Man Utd are sitting as world champions and current European Champions, Chelsea aspire to be up with them (why not), Liverpool have seen it, done it and bought the tee-shirt in Europe and now a rebuilding Arsenal are in with a shout.

Meanwhile the UEFA Cup has its fair share of English representation up to and including semis and finals.

We have a mountain to climb to get anywhere near these guys nowadays, yet think back to the days when we feared no-one in England.

We have one of the best supported football clubs in the world and our potential is enormous.

We must think large. We can do it.............some day...........maybe........possibly........etc., etc. :party:

Was going to post something similar earlier mate and couldnt be bothered.

Thats 2 years in a row all 4 of them have made it to the last 8 now (tu)

i've always said the best team do not make the best league. imo the spanish or german leagues are the best - they are unpredictable, exciting and fair - attributes the english league cannot master. I know fine well that for the next 10 or even 20 years; man u, liverpool, chelsea or arsela will win the league (unless something drastic happens) - to me this is not much of a great league

Outwith the top 4 it's a league that doesn't match Italy nevermind Spain on entertainment and quality.

See Villa's capitulation at the hands of CSKA Moscow or Everton's dissapearing act against Standard Liege for proof.

I cannot stomach the EPL outwith the top 4 at all. A total borefest.

Outwith the top 4 it's a league that doesn't match Italy nevermind Spain on entertainment and quality.

See Villa's capitulation at the hands of CSKA Moscow or Everton's dissapearing act against Standard Liege for proof.

Villa played well in the first leg but O'Neil threw it away in the second leg with his team selection. Everton have proven how good a side they are throughout the season, they came up against an excellent Liege team over those two legs who nearly stopped Liverpool from getting to the Champions League group stages.

The league isn't brilliant outside the top 4 but it's not that bad, you see some good games.

If Inter had their first choice back four tonight (that could defend a cross), they'd have put United out.

They were all over them for most of the match.

I sincerely doubt that, Man Utd looked as though they had a couple of gears left to click into

Plus im sure Man Utds 1st choice back four doesnt include O'shea

i've always said the best team do not make the best league. imo the spanish or german leagues are the best - they are unpredictable, exciting and fair - attributes the english league cannot master. I know fine well that for the next 10 or even 20 years; man u, liverpool, chelsea or arsela will win the league (unless something drastic happens) - to me this is not much of a great league

In Spain, the two sides who meet will always be playing attacking football and going for the win, even if it's Numancia going to the Camp Nou to take on Barca. Entertainment is guarenteed.

In Italy, you have the chess like tactical mentality that abtrusely fascinates the lover of the game.

In Germany, the raw passion of the crowd is still untainted and the football belongs to the people, not to the industry.

In England, you have err.. well sometimes the Merseyside derby is alright and umm.. Bolton once had Youri Djorkaeff and Jay-Jay Okocha..

The 'big 4' are having their day in the sun, of that there is no doubt, but the overall package of the league is still lagging behind it's European contemporaries.

Villa played well in the first leg but O'Neil threw it away in the second leg with his team selection. Everton have proven how good a side they are throughout the season, they came up against an excellent Liege team over those two legs who nearly stopped Liverpool from getting to the Champions League group stages.

The league isn't brilliant outside the top 4 but it's not that bad, you see some good games.

I'm pretty certain CSKA would have brushed a full strength Villa team to the side and as much as i love Standard Liege, they really should be no match for one of the apparent best sides in the EPL.

If Inter had their first choice back four tonight (that could defend a cross), they'd have put United out.

I sincerely doubt that, Man Utd looked as though they had a couple of gears left to click into

I'm not sure, there was a 20 minute spell in that 2nd half where Man Utd were all over the ship.

Zlatan hit the bar, put one an inch past the post as did Stankovic.

It wasn't as easy as it looked IMO.

I'm pretty certain CSKA would have brushed a full strength Villa side to the side and as much as i love Standard Liege, they really should be no match for one of the apparent best sides in the EPL.

Liege absolutely murdered Everton, home AND away.

I'm not sure, there was a 20 minute spell in that 2nd half where Man Utd were all over the ship.

Adriano rattled the post too.

Inter's best back 4 and goalkeeper are solid, but their midfield is aging and Ibrahimovic seems to blow hot and cold.

As someone mentioned, the big 4 in England are having their time in the sun just now but it's not so rosey around the corner.

I'm sure that Platini and Splatter will be plotting to knock it down a peg or two. You know the hypocrisy of someone like Platini really is hard to stomach ... I mean is he really expecting us to believe that he didn't go to Juventus for the money :rolleyes:

The Champions league has become predictable and boring now.

People slag the Scottish league for being only a 2 horse race...........outside of Barca what other team will win the champions league now apart from an English one.

Who will win the Premiership apart from Man U or Chelsea.

I think the championship and UEFA cup are more exciting to watch cos it's wide open and that's why i would rather watch Villa take on Spurs than Man U -Liverpool

The EPL is the strongest league in the world. It's no coincidence it's the richest league in the world...but look at the national team in the last year or so.

Richest does not equal strongest.

Clubs like Everton, Aston Villa,... would get knocked out if they played the likes of Valencia.

Not sure about the world but Europe certainly, their top teams are currently better than anyone else's top teams. As has been mentioned the quality throughout the league isn't as strong as some others though. I actually fear for the long term future of English football, the clubs are getting further and further from their fans, the debt being carried by the 'big 4' is almost unbelievable and with ITV and Setanta (that will hit us too) asking to renegotiate TV deals it is a house of cards that just might come tumbling down. Advertising revenues are not keeping pace with the TV contracts and no bank is going to lend them the money in the current climate. I thought what Villa did in Moscow was disgusting, they could have won the UEFA Cup instead they gave it up in the hope they might finish fourth (fourth!) in their league, I mean it's not like they win trophies every year.

The history of the Champions League has been about various countries dominating for 2 or 3 seasons, it's England's turn just now but it will pass on again.

I'd love to see a Porto/Monaco final again just so some 'brand consultant' at Uefa has to terminate his own contract.

Interesting range of replies.

Spain has around 4 teams that regularly compete for the title, same goes for Italy, Germany, Portugal etc., etc.

Of course in Scotland we have 2 teams competing (one of which is Irish, but that's another story) so I don't see how the EPL differs from anywhere else in that regard.

All about opinions though. :party:

The amount of debt some of the clubs have - Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool are a combined £1.7 billion in debt - is unreal and is skewing the competition.

Having those levels of debt, way beyond what their turnovers are never mind their 'profits', yet they are still able to spend £30 million on Berbatov, £24 million on Keane (etc) and have numerous players on wages of £100'000 a week. In my book it is economic cheating and comparable to doping in sport.

Thing is these clubs would still be amongst the best in Europe without the enormous debts - theirturnovers are big, their tv and commercial deals are huge. But they wouldnt be on a level that other teams cant compete with, and the game would be better as a result because it would be more competitive.

game wasnt easy no doubt, but utd only rode their luck as much as inter did in the first leg, they could have been 3 or 4 down at half time in the first leg, utd pounded them