Man City Linked To David Villa

Valencia have confirmed they have held talks with Manchester City over the transfer of striker David Villa.

Villa, 27, was a key member of the Spain squad that triumphed at Euro 2008 and is Valencia's most valuable asset.

The Spanish side are in financial trouble and have conceded they may have to sell Villa to ease their concerns.

But vice-president Fernando Gomez told Spanish radio station Cadena Ser that City had not made an offer for a player who would cost a "significant amount".

When Gomez was asked if Valencia chiefs had met with two representatives from Manchester City regarding the sale of Villa, he added: "Yes, it's true but they didn't make us an any offer.

"The president Vicente Soriano asked for a significant amount and they didn't agree."

No price tag was revealed but Gomez did confirm that despite Valencia's precarious financial predicament, Villa and fellow Spain star David Silva would not be allowed to go for a reduced price.

"I think they are two very important players, with a lot of quality and if we sell them, we are not going to sell them on the cheap," stated Gomez.

"I would like them both to stay but we cannot discard anything and any of them [the players] could leave at the end of the season."

In January, Manchester City failed in a bid to take AC Milan's Brazilian playmaker Kaka to Eastlands and also recently denied rumours linking them to Barcelona forward Lionel Messi.

Valencia have confirmed that they have held talks with Manchester City over a possible move for star striker David Villa.

Los Che's major financial concerns have led them to admit that they may be forced to part with their most valuable assets in a bid to ease their troubles.

Spain international Villa signed a six-year contract with Valencia in August which ties him to the club until 2014.

But the Primera Liga outfit have now held initial discussions with City over a big-money move for the 27-year-old, although the Eastlands outfit baulked at the initial valuation.

Despite the financial backing of the Abu Dhabi United Group and their failed £100million bid for Kaka still fresh in the memory, the Premier League club apparently do not want to pay over the odds.

Significant amount

When asked if he could confirm that Valencia chiefs had met with two representatives from Manchester City regarding the sale of Villa, Gomez said: "Yes, it's true but they didn't make us any offer.

"The president (Vicente Soriano) asked for a significant amount and they didn't agree."

Gomez did not reveal in the interview on Spanish radio what price tag they had put on Villa and his fellow Spain star David Silva, but insisted they would not be short-changed for either player.

"I think they are two very important players, with a lot of quality and, if we sell them, we are not going to sell them on the cheap," said Gomez.

He added: "I would like them both to stay. But we cannot discard anything and any of them (the players) could leave at the end of the season."

Now I absolutely love football but if David Villa ends up at a footballing non entity like Man City I might actually pack it in.

:lol:

Be a great signing for City, really do need a quality striker.

Valencia so want to sell him. They've made little hints from time to time. On SSN over the past few months I've heard things such as:

"Valencia have confirmed they would sell David Villa to Manchester City"

"Valencia have confirmed they will be forced to sell their big players due to financial reasons"

Now I absolutely love football but if David Villa ends up at a footballing non entity like Man City I might actually pack it in.

A preverbial mid table side like Man City don't deserve a player like David Villa.

I'm truly sick of The Premiership. It's making an absolute mockery of a game that I love.

The sooner it implodes the f*cking better.

Liverpool should have bought him, instead they spunked 23 million on that useless cunt Keane.

Villa/Torres :drool:

Mind you, maybe Benitez did want him and Parry disagreed.

But if Man City's cash will keep one of the most entertaining clubs I've watched over my time as a football fan afloat, then I'd be all for it.

Liverpool couldn't afford David Villa.

I hope Barca or Real Madrid come in and sign Villa - why anyone would want to go to the wee club from Manchester, I'll never know?

But if Man City's cash will keep one of the most entertaining clubs I've watched over my time as a football fan afloat, then I'd be all for it.

This is true, although I'd rather it was Barcelona or Real Madrid's money that kept them afloat..

This is true, although I'd rather it was Barcelona or Real Madrid's money that kept them afloat..

That would be nice, but Citeh will pay £70m-£80m for him.

Barca or Real would only go to £30m tops, I think at least.

It's such ashame. Villa has said that he'd happy finish his career at the Mestalla, even if they were relegated, but he's also said he'll move on if it helps the clubs long-term future.

A true great like Villa signing for Man City would probably signal the start of my disinterest in the game. It's just not right at all.

I still reckon he'll sign for Madrid.

A preverbial mid table side like Man City don't deserve a player like David Villa.

I'm truly sick of The Premiership. It's making an absolute mockery of a game that I love.

The sooner it implodes the f*cking better.

awful statement to make. whilst i do hate the premier league there is no reason why a football team cannot aspire to be the best

They should go for Boyd, he's better :anguish::craphead:

Being serious for a second, I think, come the Summer, Man City will find out how truly difficult it is to buy a top player from the continent who doesn't despise the club he's at. (when you're mid-table EPL)

Villa won't go to City.

I hope :unsure: