I'm afraid that we're more like Man Utd fans than Athletic Bilbao

Tontospal

Man Utd going for an unprecedented 5 trophies, reigning English, European and World Champions, sitting well in front in the league, just won the Carling Cup, just defeated the Italian 3 in a row champions and yet the the majority of their 'loyal' fans exited well before the end of the game today.

Athletic Bilbao haven't won anything for a good few years (IIRC), sitting middle of the table, and despite losing 5-2 at home to the hated Real Madrid they stayed in the ground and supported their team as if they were winning the game. A fantastic display of what supporting a team should be all about.

Athletic Bilbao just became my favourite Spanish team tonight.

Granted they have just qualified for the Spanish Cup Final and are still on a high from that but nevertheless it was wonderful to see.

Man Utd going for an unprecedented 5 trophies, reigning English, European and World Champions, sitting well in front in the league, just won the Carling Cup, just defeated the Italian 3 in a row champions and yet the the majority of their 'loyal' fans exited well before the end of the game today.

Athletic Bilbao haven't won anything for a good few years (IIRC), sitting middle of the table, and despite losing 5-2 at home to the hated Real Madrid they stayed in the ground and supported their team as if they were winning the game. A fantastic display of what supporting a team should be all about.

Granted they have just qualified for the Spanish Cup Final and are still on a high from that but nevertheless it was wonderful to see.

I don't know whether or not it's a modern thing, but as a youngster i never heard anyone booing their own team.

Indeed if the opposition scored and it was a bit of a cracker, you'd often see the opposition fans grudgingly applauding.

Nowadays there is booing, whistling and a general cacophony whenever a team has the temerity to keep possession of the ball too long.

Especially at OT, Anfield and the piggery.

I don't know whether or not it's a modern thing, but as a youngster i never heard anyone booing their own team.

Indeed if the opposition scored and it was a bit of a cracker, you'd often see the opposition fans grudgingly applauding.

Nowadays there is booing, whistling and a general cacophony whenever a team has the temerity to keep possession of the ball too long.

Your spot on m8.

Unfortunately we now have a small minority of negative idiots who boo players, leave early and will just never be happy.

Your spot on m8.

Unfortunately we now have a small minority of negative idiots who boo players, leave early and will just never be happy.

The same happens in Argentina.

I think it is harsh on the real Man Utd fans to be critical of them. When you have an 80,000 seater stadium, you are always going to get fans who don't really support the club. Man Utd fans always get it in the neck for being the 'prawn sandwich' brigade etc etc, but the fans that go to all the away games and followed the team in the second division should not be tarred with the same brush. Alternatively though, who gives a fuck, we're going to anialate the tarriers today and I'm about to start drinking :cheers:

I think it is harsh on the real Man Utd fans to be critical of them. When you have an 80,000 seater stadium, you are always going to get fans who don't really support the club. Man Utd fans always get it in the neck for being the 'prawn sandwich' brigade etc etc, but the fans that go to all the away games and followed the team in the second division should not be tarred with the same brush. Alternatively though, who gives a fuck, we're going to anialate the tarriers today and I'm about to start drinking :cheers:

I'm about to take a couple hours break from it before resuming it again

at 12pm :animal:

about to start drinking? lol im just in from work, the question is should i stay up all nite and get a piss up or get a good nights sleep.... decisions decisions :(

about to start drinking? lol im just in from work, the question is should i stay up all nite and get a piss up or get a good nights sleep.... decisions decisions

I should have mentioned that I am in Australia and that it is 17:30 here. Game kicks off at 2a.m. which means I should be fairly pished by that point. Ferguson and Lafferty to score in a 2-0 win me thinks.

The Subway Loyal could learn from them (tu)

(tu)

The Ibrox subway is a nightmare, i had the misfortune to use it for a few games, if the punters leave early to get within a few hundred metres of the front of the queue fair enough, i did.

Don't forget the madrid thing when they play in the catalan area is a political thing, not making excuses for the subway loyal, the Basques hate them to a man and you'll probably find this is more of a protest against being Spanish than supporting their own team ! With the introduction of a lot of ''new'' supporters at Ibrox the subway thing has got worse, 75 minute loyal now ! :sherlock:

Why would their fans grudgingly applaud if their own team scored a cracker. I'd be going nuts. :pipe:

Some have lost the art of supporting - leaving early, booing players and team selection are all symptoms. Some have also lost the bility to appreciate good play by our opposition. Now we dont have to appplaud every goal our opposition scores but staying to the end, staying positive in defeat and apreciating good play by others does not mean supporting Rangers any less.

Actually, what this thread forgets is Man Utd's fans are used to winning - the vast majority of them go to football games paying fortunes for guaranteed wins.

They're not really true fans a lot of them, and if the team loses, well they have no loyalty to stay.

As for us, I seem to remember when we lost to timmy at Ibrox we stayed till the end.

We're nothing like Man Utd fans.

I'd have considered that good support tbh - put off the opposition, hassle and harrangue them.

The fans are a twelfth man, wouldn't you rather hear your home crowd intimidating visitors.

Actually, what this thread forgets is Man Utd's fans are used to winning - the vast majority of them go to football games paying fortunes for guaranteed wins.

They're not really true fans a lot of them, and if the team loses, well they have no loyalty to stay.

As for us, I seem to remember when we lost to timmy at Ibrox we stayed till the end.

We're nothing like Man Utd fans.

spot on danny (tu)

:clap: as it should be

Some have lost the art of supporting - leaving early, booing players and team selection are all symptoms. Some have also lost the bility to appreciate good play by our opposition. Now we dont have to appplaud every goal our opposition scores but staying to the end, staying positive in defeat and apreciating good play by others does not mean supporting Rangers any less.

Does actually.

I accept there are rare occasions when a crowd is justified in applauding great play by opponents - Ronaldinho at the Bernabau for Barca was an example.

But the truth is our primary aim is always that the opposition is the enemy and we wish ill fate on them at all times - we do not praise anything they do and there is nothing wrong in being hurt in defeat.

Can't remember the last time I was positive when we lost. Magnanimous maybe, but never positive.

I'd have considered that good support tbh - put off the opposition, hassle and harrangue them.

The fans are a twelfth man, wouldn't you rather hear your home crowd intimidating visitors.

To me it stinks of petulance and selfishness, of course the crowd is essential in terms of driving the team forward,but a game of football involves both teams retaining possession for as long as possible. Whistling and booing is just sheer childishness imo.

The moot point for me is that there seem to be a far greater proportion of booers than supporters nowadays (people can't be arsed opening their traps to encourage - but will eagerly shout negatives).

I never boo, i will shout abuse to opposition players/fans within earshot, but booing is for babies.

Your spot on m8.

do you never see the good in fellow rangers fans?