Newspaper articles on Rangers from 1873 onwards!

McBoyd

Just using the google news archive and typed in glasgow rangers and 1873 - 1930, got some interesting results, some you have to pay for, some free.

Heres one, albeit nothing major or interesting, but pretty cool! From the 'Brisbane times' (why they are mentioning Rangers v Queens Park im not sure) date 1876.

UNIFORMS TO BE WORN!!! :gerbad:

Hopefully on further look later i'll dig up some interesting match reports and that :)

oldrangers.jpg

Another one, 1887!

rangers1887.jpg

A meeting of the Rangers (Rugby) Football Club was held at the Royal Hotel last night. There was a large attendance and fifteen new names were added to the roll of membership. During the evening it was decided that full practice mtches should be held on Tuesday and Thursday afternoon, and club *** or paper cha** on Monday and Wednesday evenings.

Club fixtures were discussed and agreed to as arranged by the delegates, who were asked to bring forward at the next meeting the subject of the doslbrableness (?) of the Union fluing clubs f.....

I lose it from there.

BUT im not sure, as it says RUGBY football club, if i've actually stumbled upon the RANGERS rugby club our team was named after!?

I'd love to go to the archive place in Glasgow (the name evades me at the moment) sometime and sit all day just reading through the old articles they have, they are bound to have every match report from every game, even 1872/73 matches i bet!!

Are you sure that's not Ipswich in Australia? The article mentions train tickets between Ipswich and Brisbane. (There is an Ipswich west of Brisbane in Australia). That would suggest that the other article could be regarding a Rugby game in Oz.

I'd love to go to the archive place in Glasgow (the name evades me at the moment) sometime and sit all day just reading through the old articles they have, they are bound to have every match report from every game, even 1872/73 matches i bet!!

is it not in the mitchell library.i do genealogy and have used their archives ,they are very thorough,i,m sure all newspapers are covered.

Well, I have an amazing, leather bound book, with Rangers articles from the formation onwards, the downside is, they are all the Record, and, whatever it was called before that I think. If I get the time, I will scan each page in and set up a photobucket or similar. I also have a Times alminac thing, which covers UK foootball from when it started, and theres a Scottish section for each year. It only goes to 1996 though that one

Well, I have an amazing, leather bound book, with Rangers articles from the formation onwards, the downside is, they are all the Record, and, whatever it was called before that I think. If I get the time, I will scan each page in and set up a photobucket or similar. I also have a Times alminac thing, which covers UK foootball from when it started, and theres a Scottish section for each year. It only goes to 1996 though that one

(tu) Quality mate, look forward to that.

Whats the name of said leather bound book if you don't mind me asking? :)

(tu) Quality mate, look forward to that.

Whats the name of said leather bound book if you don't mind me asking? :)

"Rangers: A history from 1919"

To be precise, page 1 is from 20th October 1919, and, starts with the headline "Rangers rise to smite Celtic"

Its pretty awesome

Guest Andypendek

The Mitchell has a lot of stuff but not exhaustive, unfortunately. I remember trying to track down details of Rangers first European tour, back in 1904 iirc, and ended up trying to find passport applications from the National Archive in Kew!

In fact, its here

http://www.newsrecreated.co.uk/acatalog/Rangers.htm

Was a birthday present from my awesome lady :D

hi mate what a cracking book you have got there. (tu)

It is, really nice, and a damn good read. Going to keep it by the pc for next time you do one of your random quizzes mate ;)

Another one, 1887!

rangers1887.jpg

A meeting of the Rangers (Rugby) Football Club was held at the Royal Hotel last night. There was a large attendance and fifteen new names were added to the roll of membership. During the evening it was decided that full practice mtches should be held on Tuesday and Thursday afternoon, and club *** or paper cha** on Monday and Wednesday evenings.

Club fixtures were discussed and agreed to as arranged by the delegates, who were asked to bring forward at the next meeting the subject of the doslbrableness (?) of the Union fluing clubs f.....

I lose it from there.

BUT im not sure, as it says RUGBY football club, if i've actually stumbled upon the RANGERS rugby club our team was named after!?

Sorry mate this is definitely not us or the team we seek, Ipswich Rangers rugby club are nothing to do with us, they still play in Queensland, Australia. Read the story further down, the talk of the Coercion Bill and the Catholic Archbishop should be a clue too!!

Sorry mate this is definitely not us or the team we seek, Ipswich Rangers rugby club are nothing to do with us, they still play in Queensland, Australia. Read the story further down, the talk of the Coercion Bill and the Catholic Archbishop should be a clue too!!

:lol: Didn't see that bit, i stopped reading where it become unreadable to me and didn't go any further.

Oh well, back to square one :anguish::lol: