David Weir - 40 year old CB

Muff

That's how old David Weir will be next season - we simply can't afford to offer him a new deal. He's been a great signing but he's finished.

Another season of Weir at CB and we'll struggle once again. He'll be half a yard slower, his body will take longer to recover, our defence will sit even deeper than before which will result in us continuing to play a holding midfielder. We need to find a defender with a bit of pace, mobility, someone who has the ability to find and pick a pass - this constant lump up the park is a complete and utter joke. Drag Weir out of position and we are fucked - he's either beaten and can't get back due to his lack of pace or he'll give away stupid fouls.

You replace Weir (and not with that fairy Kirk Broadfoot) and you'll notice a difference in our play, especially the attacking side of our game.

Unfortunatley I don't think Wally realises this, he'll offer Weir a new deal and we'll continue to struggle. The lack of ambition, knowledge and forward thinking at this club is a fucking disgrace. You see Junior clubs run, organised and managed better!

David Weir has been a great servant to our club but it's time for him to move on - more importantly, it's time for Rangers to move on!

I cant beleive the state we are in.

After the piggery I thought we would romp the title, now I fear a return to the 80's the only difference being the scum win it year in year out.

I think the big man would be a good mentor for the younger players. If he isnt offered a new contract I fear Big Kirk will be moved in there.

After the piggery I thought we would romp the title, now I fear a return to the 80's the only difference being the scum win it year in year out.

I think the big man would be a good mentor for the younger players. If he isnt offered a new contract I fear Big Kirk will be moved in there.

Sadly, the 4-2 at the Piggery was a complete fluke.

Losing Cousin was a massive blow, but I feel if Lafferty was given a run up top we could have kept the ability to play that way.

We done it at Easter road without Cousin so we are capable.

In fact, remove Boyd and we normally look good most of the time.

No, not a complete fluke. It was an indication of where 4-4-2 against that mob will get you, aswell as how much we are missing Kevin Thomson and Daniel Cousin.

It beggars belief that we have fallen so far in 6 months.

No, not a complete fluke. It was an indication of where 4-4-2 against that mob will get you, aswell as how much we are missing Kevin Thomson and Daniel Cousin.

It beggars belief that we have fallen so far in 6 months.

Looking at our side now, there was something of a flukey element to it.

All that money spent by Smith and we don't have any replacements worthy of the jersey. It's a sad day indeed.

The 4-2 game could have been so different - we got lucky along with playing well. Suprise, suprise, no McCulloch,, Ferguson or Boyd were in the team and Mendes, Davis and Thomson looked like a proper midfield.

As for Weir, we'll see what we are like without him on Saturday.

from top to bottom our club is run by jokers and clowns and the players are no better

Agree Totally club is full of no better than average players ala Broadfoot , McCulloch , Weir etc and Boyd . shameful thing is were stuck with it

The only 'fluke' was that injuries prevented Smith playing Ferguson and McCulloch.

David Weir has been a great servant to our club

(tu) Sure has, and has done well to play at this stage at his age, and from the looks of him playing has given his best, we couldn't ask anymore of him really!

:21:

But like you said, it's time to move on.

That's how old David Weir will be next season - we simply can't afford to offer him a new deal. He's been a great signing but he's finished.

Another season of Weir at CB and we'll struggle once again. He'll be half a yard slower, his body will take longer to recover, our defence will sit even deeper than before which will result in us continuing to play a holding midfielder. We need to find a defender with a bit of pace, mobility, someone who has the ability to find and pick a pass - this constant lump up the park is a complete and utter joke. Drag Weir out of position and we are fucked - he's either beaten and can't get back due to his lack of pace or he'll give away stupid fouls.

You replace Weir (and not with that fairy Kirk Broadfoot) and you'll notice a difference in our play, especially the attacking side of our game.

Unfortunatley I don't think Wally realises this, he'll offer Weir a new deal and we'll continue to struggle. The lack of ambition, knowledge and forward thinking at this club is a fucking disgrace. You see Junior clubs run, organised and managed better!

David Weir has been a great servant to our club but it's time for him to move on - more importantly, it's time for Rangers to move on!

still a chance for me then :craphead:

It's now the right time to blood Danny Wilson.

I know Smith won't because of his unexplainable fear of youth players outperforming his favourites, but it is time for the young man.

Disagree, the time was about Xmas! Weir has been a bombscare all season, regardless of him being a good servant or not. TBH, there would be no difference between Boughera helping Wilson through his first few games, than him covering for Weir, as he has done most of this season

Weir has been a bombscare all season

I'm glad someone said it - I was going to grill him in this thread but I thought I'd leave it out. His form has been far too inconsistant. He's had some good games but he's also had his shockers.

I cannot believe he still resorts to a 80 yard mally up the park instead of a simple 5-10 yard pass. His constant dwelling on the ball will and has cost us, his lack of pace means we sit even deeper than last season and in the big games, due to Ferguson's poor form and having Weir at the back, we have to employ Lee fucking McCulloch in the holding role. He puts his team under far too much pressure, his timing in the tackle is awful, his positioning is suspect and he commits far too many fouls.

Weir has been a bombscare all season

I'm glad someone said it - I was going to grill him in this thread but I thought I'd leave it out. His form has been far too inconsistant. He's had some good games but he's also had his shockers.

I cannot believe he still resorts to a 80 yard mally up the park instead of a simple 5-10 yard pass. His constant dwelling on the ball will and has cost us, his lack of pace means we sit even deeper than last season and in the big games, due to Ferguson's poor form and having Weir at the back, we have to employ Lee fucking McCulloch in the holding role. He puts his team under far too much pressure, his timing in the tackle is awful, his positioning is suspect and he commits far too many fouls.

well, it was obvious ;)

I think the sitting deep aspect is the worst part, and, the thing that is causing us perhaps even more problems than wingers (lack of). We can all say Boyd doesnt work enough, but, even looking at yesterdays game before he came on, most of the time Lafferty and Miller were in their own half, with the midfield halfway between the 18 yrd line and the edge of the centre circle. Cant possibly be a threat from there unless we had 2 Lovenkrands playing up front who could run onto the (inevitable) long ball out. Poor as our strikers are, they have no chance at the moment. Add to that, i am critical of the midfield not supporting enough, but, they havent much chance at the moment either.

Losing Thomson knocked the heart out of our team I think, plus, we need to add some pace, and, younger legs, although younger players do bring inconsistency (see, Davis, Fleck, Aaron, Lafferty), but, our backline isnt as safe as it was

I've been a big supporter of Davie - even bought a jersey with his name on it last season - and I admire the hell out of the guy on a personal level, but it's very clear that time has caught up with him and I really feel there should be no contract extension next year. Would also like to see him stay as a coach, or in some other capacity, as he is an excellent representative for this club. Time for some fresh legs on the pitch, though.

I know Smith won't because of his unexplainable fear of youth players outperforming his favourites, but it is time for the young man.

Disagree, the time was about Xmas! Weir has been a bombscare all season, regardless of him being a good servant or not. TBH, there would be no difference between Boughera helping Wilson through his first few games, than him covering for Weir, as he has done most of this season

Disagree the time for blooding these CB was the start of this season, Ross Harvey, Danny Wilson etc.... Should have had a few games by now or at the very least loaned out til Jan for 1st team experience.

Disagree the time for blooding these CB was the start of this season, Ross Harvey, Danny Wilson etc.... Should have had a few games by now or at the very least loaned out til Jan for 1st team experience.

You just disagreeing on principle mate? :P

Nah, I would agree, i was being conservative. Although if I am right, Wilson has come on a lot the first half of this season? I would have had McMillan in at RB far earlier, then again, would have been less of an issue if Whittaker had shown what he has in the last couple of games

Home game to Hearts is not really the time to throw Wilson in at the deep end.

The only time I'd even consider playing him is if Bougherra was 100% fit, which is highly unlikely.