Knee Jerk Reaction

outlaw69uk

Ok, I have had a thought about this, and, even moreso after one of Bakbears posts

He said,

"What is rotten in the dressing room that NONE of your key players turn up for a CUP FINAL against your Arch Enemy? What is the probability of Ferguson, Mendes and Davis all having an absolutely shocker on the same day? Perhaps not impossible but unlikely I would think? Is it a motivation issue? Is it an inability to gel with their playing partners, is it choking on the big occassion, is it a disagreement with the role they are being asked to play?"

Now, the thing is, all these players DID have a shocker on the same day, and, it wasnt the first time this season. Hartson said "MEndes isnt half the player we think he is", and there was outrage, yet, there have been a few times, all the more recently, when he seems to be coasting, and, not being productive. Davis blows hot and cold, but, we can almost accept that if we mitigate the fact that he isnt that old really. Ferguson, shows in glimpes, much as mendes does, only less. For me, our best, most consistant midfielder is Thomson, who we are missing through injury, again, not an old lad.

The majority of the squad appears unmotivated (to me), happy to turn up, coast through a game, and, take the paycheck at the end of the month, am sure other people can see this too?

So! What do we do about this? Here is my semi-knee jerk reaction. Although, its based on the theory that younger players/coaches will be hungrier, with more to prove, more drive, more will to win.

Smith out, McCoist takes over - no "team", no, director of football, no bloody 3 of them on the bench making joint decisions, JUST McCoist. I cant be doing with this team effort thing. One person needs to be in charge. McCoist has nothing to live up to, and, given the past few years, couldnt do worse! And, he is attack minded, and, seems happier to play younger players.

Rest of the coaches etc, no idea, I dont know about a lot of them

Scouts - Get some! haha, in all seriousness, it HAS to happen, and, its imperative to my idea. Even if we got Muff and DBBTB on a part time basis, it would probably help!

Then, the biggest change, the players

Out - most of them! Seriously, most of them

Core of the first team (experienced ones) - McGregor, Boughera, Thomson (Captain!), Davis, Lafferty, Naismith

Regulars - McMillan, Wilson, Fleck, Furman, Aaron (sign him permenantly), Edu, Wylde (just a fav of mine)

Squad - Little, Loy (there are a few more, but, I havent watched reserves for a while so unsure of progress, like, Kinniburgh, Harvey, Ness, Effrem)

If Mendes gets his finger out, I would keep him around, but, am waivering at the moment. Same with Whittaker and Boyd (although completely expendable to me, I would like Boyd to beat Larsons SPL record before he goes, just on principle haha). Fuck knows what to do about Novo, because I love the wee guy, so probably good to have around. I would also be hopeful S Smith can recover, because I like the guy too.

There would of course be new signings, but, I would also like to see an age limit on signings, unless they were exceptional, so, players 24 and under only.

Team

McGregor

McMillan, Boughera, Wilson, Wylde

Aaron, Davis, Thomson, Fleck

Lafferty, Naismith

Bench - GK, CB, Edu, Furman, Loy, Effrem?, other

More or less!

Young, hungry team, with some experience. For the first time in years we would be fit, fast, with a hunger to succeed. And, if they couldnt beat most teams in the SPL, I would despair

There you go! Probably also gives you an insight as to where my priorities lie

:gerbad:

I still say Mendes showed us what he's all about when playing with Thomson.

I really don't want to put it all down to Barry, but is it any coincedence that Pedro's 'dip' in form started as soon as Thommo got injured?

Other than that, I agree. Our scouting network of Willie McKay and YouTube really pisses me off.

I really don't want to put it all down to Barry, but is it any coincedence that Pedro's 'dip' in form started as soon as Thommo got injured?

Other than that, I agree. Our scouting network of Willie McKay and YouTube really pisses me off.

TBH I would keep him just because he has cool hair!

I agree with that, but, I dont think you can put it down to Ferguson, I think the loss of Thomson is more important. Its the same thing I guess, just, flipped around a bit. Ferguson would look better with Thomson, just as Mendes does, and, Davis probably would. Its more about balance I think

This whole theory is to get a young, hungry team, from the manager to the players. If we can sign players that are in the vein of Aaron (highly rated young players), or produce our own, then, it will be a fresh team with something to prove (even if that reason is to get a big money move). Its the type of thing the likes of Ajax do (or did? havent followed them for some time). Same with the manager, I think McCoist, especially after the unfair stick he seems to get by association, would also have something to prove.

Good post, agree with most exept the Mendes doubts, he is a class player, a proper footballer if you like and his pairing with Thomson worked well.As for Wylde i will bow to your superior knowledge about him, pass on any that you have and whats in his locker that marks him out as a first teamer.

Think its been mentioned before that even Thomson played with Barry looked half the player he was at the start of the season. Barry slows down the midfield and anything going forward goes to him first. Almost like he approves any attack first.

Team

McGregor

McMillan, Boughera, Wilson, Wylde

Aaron, Davis, Thomson, Fleck

Lafferty, Naismith

Bench - GK, CB, Edu, Furman, Loy, Effrem?, other

On paper this team sounds like a dream team but in reality, it would be bullied off the park by most SPL teams

That was my main concern about Aaron, and Fleck, but, both seemed to have shown some bottle so far, not let that happen. Unlike Arteta and Lee Martin, who were easy to play against, kick them, watch them vanih from the game.

If we can get that calibre of player, at that age, with that attitude, I dont think it would. I added Wylde, but, would be more than happy to sign, say, a 21 yr old (Muff, any names? am sure you do) left back as, maube thats the weakest area here so far

We really, really need to get ourselves away from this "we'll be bullied off the park" mindset.

It's the sole reason why we've got players like McCulloch, Broadfoot and Dailly featuring in our squad. We MUST stop worrying about other teams kicking us, why don't we start playing the football and give THEM something to think about?

This type of idea is exciting and I would love to see it happen.

I understand the theory behind it, having players playing every week who are wanting to win, wanting to give their all to prove they are good enough.

But I don't think we are in a position to judge whether playing a team of youngsters with a core of regulars would be good enough to compete and I just wouldn't put my faith in something like this working.

I think the best option is to drop the regular starters who are continually giving average performances and re-introduce them once they realise their position is up for grabs.

We really, really need to get ourselves away from this "we'll be bullied off the park" mindset.

Its the reality of our league though!

Until the whole mindset of both the paying Scottish public and the playing scottish players change for the better, then all we can expect is the survival of the toughest pish which we are served up just now.

Good post, agree with most exept the Mendes doubts, he is a class player, a proper footballer if you like and his pairing with Thomson worked well.As for Wylde i will bow to your superior knowledge about him, pass on any that you have and whats in his locker that marks him out as a first teamer.

Mendes is definately good, am just a bit fed up with our midfield at the mo. Ok, I will leave him in there then, based on hair and passing :D

Well, from what i have seen, plays midfield sometimes, but, I just like the look of him. Seems pacy, likes a shot, good (at this stage) crossing, and, can take a set piece.

Some bits from various sources for you

"After 25 minutes Rangers were two up when a beautiful ball from Stirling was exquisitely controlled on the chest by the marauding Gregg Wylde on the left, who thumped the ball past the keeper into the far corner."

"The first chance of note came in the 5th minute, Gregg Wylde adavancing down the left and his cross come shot was saved at the near post by keeper Chris Calder. Four minutes later Wylde again attacked down the left, when his cross was cleared to the edge of the box Stephen Stirling fired over."

Until the whole mindset of both the paying Scottish public and the playing scottish players change for the better, then all we can expect is the survival of the toughest pish which we are served up just now.

It's not really.

If Wenger/Martinez/Coppell were in charge of Rangers just now, we'd be at least 10 points clear of Celtic because we'd go out and play teams off the park.

Simple as that IMHO. We're lowering ourselves by getting involved in wrestling matches with Lee Wilkie and Ross Tokely.

I like Mendes but there is no way you can blame Ferguson for him not producing.......

I like Mendes but there is no way you can blame Ferguson for him not producing.......

Combination of Ferguson coming in and Thomson going out IMHO.

Just look at Mendes' trophy cabinet - you don't get that if you aren't a class player.

This type of idea is exciting and I would love to see it happen.

I understand the theory behind it, having players playing every week who are wanting to win, wanting to give their all to prove they are good enough.

But I don't think we are in a position to judge whether playing a team of youngsters with a core of regulars would be good enough to compete and I just wouldn't put my faith in something like this working.

I think the best option is to drop the regular starters who are continually giving average performances and re-introduce them once they realise their position is up for grabs.

Its a fair enough worry, but, look at it in other ways mate

Our regulars are not performing, and havent been for the last couple of seasons, and, if we took them all out, we would be left with pretty much the team above anyway

Sometimes you have to take gambles/risks to achieve success, and, this would be a better long term option for the future of the club. I mean, look at it this way, we havent won the league for 3 years, so, they couldnt do worse!

It's not really.

If Wenger/Martinez/Coppell were in charge of Rangers just now, we'd be at least 10 points clear of Celtic because we'd go out and play teams off the park.

Simple as that IMHO. We're lowering ourselves by getting involved in wrestling matches with Lee Wilkie and Ross Tokely.

I am of the opinion it would be the same with McCoist, the guy is actually winner. Martinez would actually be my second pick.

and, yes, in a nutshell, we are. Rather than dictate games, we are allowing all our opponents to play their way

We tried it with PLG but the old scottish "hit em hard" mentality shone through once again fuelled by our lapdogs in the media and our "untouchable" players. Only in this country could a class act like Le Guen fail and i feel that the result would be the same with any other "flair" managers you would bring in.

Unless you gave them the milliond to spend that Dick was given

Just look at Mendes' trophy cabinet - you don't get that if you aren't a class player.

Champions League, La Liga, and Super Cup. (tu)

But, surely Tottenham followed by Portsmouth wouldn't offload an amazing player?

Don't get me wrong Mendes is brilliant, but you wonder why Portsmouth didn't want him still!?

I would wager Ferguson has more in his tho ;)

But I know what your saying

We tried it with PLG but the old scottish "hit em hard" mentality shone through once again fuelled by our lapdogs in the media and our "untouchable" players. Only in this country could a class act like Le Guen fail and i feel that the result would be the same with any other "flair" managers you would bring in.

Unless you gave them the milliond to spend that Dick was given

True, but, if you look at the players I kept, our "untouchables" arent there. You can combine fight and skill, which I think Ally could achieve up here. Unsure about Europe, but, he has watched a lot of it, and, been on the wrong end of some tankings, so, he must have a grasp of what to do and what not to do.

I would wager Ferguson has more in his tho ;)

But I know what your saying

I've got no doubt that Barry would swap his numerous League/Scottish Cups for Pedro's Champions League winners' medal ;)

Edit: Trophy miscount!

Champions League, La Liga, and Super Cup. (tu)

But, surely Tottenham followed by Portsmouth wouldn't offload an amazing player?

Don't get me wrong Mendes is brilliant, but you wonder why Portsmouth didn't want him still!?

Check the history, good sir.

Harry didn't want to sell, but Gaydamak needed to balance up the books. That's why it was such a lightning quick transfer.

Harry didn't want to sell, but Gaydamak needed to balance up the books. That's why it was such a lightning quick transfer.

I did try to find it.

I see, well thats a little different then :P

I did try to find it.

I see, well thats a little different then :P

Check my article on Mendes in the RM Archives.

Pretty sure I quoted him in there.

Might be under Iain Anderson instead of papaguy though.