League Finishes '79 to '86

McBoyd

:anguish: Christ, everyone says its bad now..

1978-79 - 2nd

1979-80 - 5th

1980-81 - 3rd

1981-82 - 3rd

1982-83 - 4th

1983-84 - 4th

1984-85 - 4th

1985 -86 - 5th

I also totally forgot about Celtics finishings during the 9IAR era, i always think they came 2nd, but alas not, its a similar mixture of 3rd's, 4th's and 5th's :lol:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to one midweek game v Dundee United at Ibrox, Jim Stewart/Gregor Stevens time we got humped 4-1, i gave the guy on the turnstyle a £20 note, he could not give me change, i had to go back until a few more punters went through, 9-11,000 crowds were not uncommon for midweek fixtures.

totally irrelevant to be fair.Aberdeen, DUFC were regularly playing in the later stages of europe in those years and had good teams then.

Compare the opposition to now and you get the picture

Sorry it wasn't ment to be a "compare now to then" that was just a random comment by me :lol:

1978-79 - 2nd

1979-80 - 5th

1980-81 - 3rd

1981-82 - 3rd

1982-83 - 4th

1983-84 - 4th

1984-85 - 4th

1985 -86 - 5th

I also totally forgot about Celtics finishings during the 9IAR era, i always think they came 2nd, but alas not, its a similar mixture of 3rd's, 4th's and 5th's :lol:

New Rangers fans wouldn't know bad times if it came round and slapped them with a kipper.

I went to one midweek game v Dundee United at Ibrox, Jim Stewart/Gregor Stevens time we got humped 4-1, i gave the guy on the turnstyle a £20 note, he could not give me change, i had to go back until a few more punters went through, 9-11,000 crowds were not uncommon for midweek fixtures.

I was at that game I'm sure. Pissed out of my head if I remember correctly - which I don't really. Dark days indeed, though to be fair, Dundee United and Aberdeen had some great teams back then.

totally irrelevant to be fair.Aberdeen, DUFC were regularly playing in the later stages of europe in those years and had good teams then.

Sorry it wasn't ment to be a "compare now to then" that was just a random comment by me :lol:

Oh Right! - Sorry bout that! :)

Oh Right! - Sorry bout that! :)

:lol: No bother, but you are right though!

at least the players tried to win games and played for the jersey in those days.

Wish i could have seen some of the older matches Minstral, even if we did lose :21:

you would have enjoyed our games, although we had some bad teams they all knew what playing for rangers meant. There was none of the big wages back then that this lot of imposters now earn, plus the players respected our support not like some of this lot, who would not give you a second look.

you would have enjoyed our games, although we had some bad teams they all knew what playing for rangers meant. There was none of the big wages back then that this lot of imposters now earn, plus the players respected our support not like some of this lot, who would not give you a second look.

I would love to see the likes of Cooper, Greig, (early) Durrant, McCoist (before the legend), Baxter (albeit some years earlier), McCloy..

Its a shame i can only watch them via youtube now :(

I would love to see the likes of Cooper, Greig, (early) Durrant, McCoist (before the legend), Baxter (albeit some years earlier), McCloy..

im exactly the same mcboyd, looking at the old pictures of bears thread makes me wish i lived a different era.

im exactly the same mcboyd, looking at the old pictures of bears thread makes me wish i lived a different era.

1978-79 - 2nd

1979-80 - 5th

1980-81 - 3rd

1981-82 - 3rd

1982-83 - 4th

1983-84 - 4th

1984-85 - 4th

1985 -86 - 5th

New Rangers fans wouldn't know bad times if it came round and slapped them with a kipper.

(tu)

1978-79 - 2nd

1979-80 - 5th

1980-81 - 3rd

1981-82 - 3rd

1982-83 - 4th

1983-84 - 4th

1984-85 - 4th

1985 -86 - 5th

I never missed a game home or away and started going to Europe in 1985.great memories cos i was a teenager but i remember Hearts,Dundee Utd and Aberdeen all having very good sides.....Dundee utd won the league in 83 and Aberdeen a few times ,Hearts nearly in 86 so it wasn't a 2 horse race like now.

£rd was actually quite good considering the opponents we had

I am old enough, but have been lucky enough to see Rangers since the 1960s. I remember the great days of Jim Baxter and Wee Willie Henderson, Eric Caldow & Bobby Shearer, John Grieg and Ronnie MacKinnon. I also remember the dark days of Celtic' nine in a row. I remember us under Scot Symon and Jock Wallace. Lots of good and bad days. I remember all 4 European finals (the first one is a bit vague!). I remember the really bad periods, when we were dreadful. We were not always the best. A lot of the supporters today grew up in the Souness era and 9 in a row. They scream "we deserve better" why? If we were always on top, then I would agree, but I still remember the dark days. Our most successful period in recent times has come under Sir David Murray and Walter Smith. But I am hearing some fans saying that Walter Smith cost us 10 in a row and is ruining Rangers. They also say that Sir David Murray has ruined Rangers by spending too much years ago and not enough now. They will never win. They will never please everybody. I dont remember people calling for David Murray's head when he said "For every £5 Celtic spend, I will spend £10". I dont remember too many people complaining when SDM brought Walter Smith back to "steady the ship" after the PLG experiment went wrong. If both of them walked away now, I wouldn't blame them. I would never want their lives. They have made mistakes and admitted them, but they have been good for the club much more than they have been bad for the club.

This is part of something I wrote on another site. Your comments about the dark days bear this out!

1978-79 - 2nd

1979-80 - 5th

1980-81 - 3rd

1981-82 - 3rd

1982-83 - 4th

1983-84 - 4th

1984-85 - 4th

1985 -86 - 5th

Aye but at least we had 14 proddies who all knew the words of the sash and TBB..... :craphead:

I feel sorry for you there, at leats I have the memories of a whole different mindset among the team. True bears playing for the jersey, no matter where we were in the Championship race. It makes wacthing this lot all the more painful at times though.

I feel sorry for you there, at leats I have the memories of a whole different mindset among the team. True bears playing for the jersey, no matter where we were in the Championship race. It makes wacthing this lot all the more painful at times though.

you don't even have to go back that far to find a team that was willing to put 100% into this club, the "stars" of today are unrecoignisable.

you don't even have to go back that far to find a team that was willing to put 100% into this club, the "stars" of today are unrecoignisable.

Very true. when did the rot start in that respect? Was it a millenium bug??

Was trying to think of this the other day. Somewhere in between Advocaats finale and Eck's Bosman Bonanza.

Was trying to think of this the other day. Somewhere in between Advocaats finale and Eck's Bosman Bonanza.

Hate to say it, but it was round about the time Barry Ferguson got the captaincy back.

Advocaat maybe. Ferguson's captaincy? Not sure, certainly not at the start, but it seems to have been rooted round about those 2 moments DB. I still think that current league positions don't reflect the gulf between the type of player then and now. In fact, they seem to positively lie about the standard, and that's mainly due to the continuous drop in opposition quality. You could get excited about the old teams, but our recent teams are as thrilling as mud.