Velicka: "Of course I am frustrated,"

Boab

RANGERS' misuse of Andrius Velicka has galled those at Tynecastle with Csaba Laszlo craving a striker worthy of the name.

The Lithuanian's last outing in a blue shirt was last August, ironically against Hearts, and he has appeared just four times in total for the Glasgow club since joining from Viking Stavanger last summer. Some would say a total waste of a decent goalscorer.

He struck 26 goals in 56 games for Hearts, and six in 18 games while in Norway. Prior to that he finished top goalscorer in the Lithuanian A Lyga with FBK Kaunas. All of the above hints at a forward with a definite predatory instinct, yet Velicka has merely stagnated at Rangers due to lack of opportunities.

This weekend he will watch from the stand at Ibrox as Hearts attempt to continue their quest for European football at the expense of Rangers' championship aspirations. Hearts have managed only 31 goals in 29 league matches this season without a recognised finisher, their top scorer being five-goal Andy Driver.

The league meeting between his current and former clubs is one Velicka would love to participate in, but he knows he is unlikely to feature. He may be contracted to Rangers, however that does not mean he feels involved.

The wasteful and often rash recruitment policies at both Old Firm clubs have for years stunted the development of many a fine Scottish prospect – Alan Gow for example. Now they may be culpable for disserving a foreigner who was in his prime.

Viking were reported to have made a £600,000 down payment for Velicka, officially on loan at Hearts from Kaunas, in February last year. The Evening News understands that considerably less than that amount changed hands before the player was dispatched to Ibrox.

Suspicions persist that Egil Ostenstad, Viking's director of football and a former Rangers striker, had pre-agreed the deal with his old club before Velicka left Tynecastle, but those remain unfounded.

The 29-year-old is philosophical about his treatment in Glasgow. He knows he would be welcomed back at Tynecastle in a heartbeat after reading of Laszlo and Romanov's interest in him during the January transfer window. But for the moment he feels powerless.

Asked whether he would consider returning to Hearts , if the opportunity arose, he replied: "I'm not thinking about that now. I was a Hearts player and now I am a Rangers player, it's difficult to think about anything else just now. We will need to wait and see.

"I had a good time with Hearts, of course, but at Rangers we have more opportunities to play in Europe in the Champions League.

"You are always looking for better. A football player's career is not so long so you always want to win something and play in bigger, better games. I want bigger challenges and I want to test myself.

"In January there was a lot of talk about a lot of players, I think it was just speculation (about me] to be honest. I only read the stories in the newspapers."

Velicka's purchase was recommended by Rangers' assistant Ally McCoist who had noted his goalscoring prowess, but the predicted European forays were cut short by Kaunas of all teams in an embarrassing Champions League qualifying exit last August.

Velicka scored the only goal of the season-opening league encounter at Falkirk four days later and then started the following week's match against Hearts. Since then, nothing.

"Of course I am frustrated," he continued. "Every player wants to play and it's disappointing when you are not involved. But it's football, you can't change it. You just need to work hard and wait for your chance.

"It's the same for every player, it's just part of life in football. I'm not thinking about leaving right now, I just want to wait a little bit. I think I will get my chance, maybe not this season but next season.

"I love Rangers, it's a good team with a good spirit, good facilities and everything. I'm happy at Rangers, just not playing. Maybe I need to work harder and be patient. I hope I can get a chance this season, you never know what will happen. Rangers have a lot of strikers, like Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller, who are scoring.

"Walter Smith can't just take them off and put me on, it would not be fair to them. Just now the situation is that I need to wait and work hard for my chance."

Having lost the Co-operative Insurance Cup final to Celtic, Velicka expects his team-mates to show greater desire against Hearts. "Maybe they will be more motivated. You can't bring back the cup final, we need to think about the league," he said.

"I still think we can win the league, we are only three points behind and there are plenty games still to come. In Scotland there are no easy games, it doesn't matter who you play against. The players are professional and when you lose you need to forget it and think about the future, concentrate on future games.

"We won the first game against Hearts at Ibrox 2-0 and we lost the second game 2-1 at Tynecastle. We are only thinking about three points this weekend. Rangers need the points to keep challenging in the league and Hearts need the points to stay in third place, so I think it will be a very tough game."

He never got the opportunity to sample continental competition at Tynecastle, for the European matches of autumn 2006 came at a time when he was merely a squad player. His ascent was rapid during the subsequent two seasons and he has clearly enjoyed seeing Hearts return to prominence this season.

"I would like to see Hearts back in Europe, it would be good for the players and the club. When you are playing in Europe it is always good for the team, it's a good experience. It's challenging for the players to face teams from other championships which are also competitive, whether it's in the Champions League or the Europa League."

Velicka's search of regular exposure at European level has led him to become just another number at Rangers. He may in time succumb to the appeal of returning to Tynecastle, but on Saturday a watching brief will be his limit.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/ExJambo...brox.5087854.jp

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think how Velicka's been treated is despicable tbh.

He's joined us and been instantly cast out for absolutely no reason. Especially given the few appearances he managed to make he looked decent in, getting a goal.

Unlike Hemdani though he's not slagging anything off about us, and is maintaining his dignity about things.

He's joined us and been instantly cast out for absolutely no reason. Especially given the few appearances he managed to make he looked decent in, getting a goal.

Unlike Hemdani though he's not slagging anything off about us, and is maintaining his dignity about things.

I agree with this.

While I'd still have Boyd, I'm disgusted at how we've treated Velicka.

Maybe with 10 games fitness in him, he'd be better than Kris, but as of now I'd pick Boyd if I had to choose between the two.

I agree with this.

While I'd still have Boyd, I'm disgusted at how we've treated Velicka.

Maybe with 10 games fitness in him, he'd be better than Kris, but as of now I'd pick Boyd if I had to choose between the two.

Boyd has zero technical quality but a brilliantly high goal return in the SPL, which is a good one for his CV. Velicka has a higher level of technical quality, although maybe isn't as prolific as Boyd at this level. But he'd bring much more to the team which would counter balance Boyd's goals imo.

Is Velicka quite strong? I didn't watch Hearts often enough to know.

Strong? You mean physically? He's not slight, if that's what you mean.

btw, he 'plays' for us. Your second sentence is odd :)

It is odd, but sadly symptomatic of the way in which we've treated the man.

I said Hearts, because he's hardly played for us for me to make an opinion on him. (tu)

And I did mean physically aye.

I said Hearts, because he's hardly played for us for me to make an opinion on him. (tu)

I actually misread it as 'don't' - my bad.

I actually misread it as 'don't' - my bad.

:craphead:

All is well. :pipe:

He's shite and shouldn't have been signed in the 1st place and certainly not for £1m - not the 1st time Wally has signed a player and never given him the chance. A player who wasn't even guaranteed a game at Hearts and struggled for a game at Viking.

A player who complained of exhaustion even although he had a rest, hardly kicked a ball in Norway and played less games that the majority of our players in 2007 and 2008.

He's slower than Boyd (which is almost impossible) his touch is just as bad and he's lazy.

Everytime I see or hear the name Andrius Velicka I'm haunted by the member who said we should try him out on the left as he has a wicked strike on him.

But I'd rather see Velicka given a game than Boyd.

He's shite and shouldn't have been signed in the 1st place and certainly not for £1m - not the 1st time Wally has signed a player and never given him the chance. A player who wasn't even guaranteed a game at Hearts and struggled for a game at Viking.

A player who complained of exhaustion even although he had a rest, hardly kicked a ball in Norway and played less games that the majority of our players in 2007 and 2008.

He's slower than Boyd (which is almost impossible) his touch is just as bad and he's lazy.

Everytime I see or hear the name Andrius Velicka I'm haunted by the member who said we should try him out on the left as he has a wicked strike on him.

But I'd rather see Velicka given a game than Boyd.

For the time being aye. Boyd hasn't done anything to prove he wants to play for us recently.

TBH I rated him when he was at Hearts, but didn't think he'd be anything other than back up here. Maybe he still has a part to play this season though. I hope Walter makes more use of the entire squad in the run in this year.

He was never good enough, not rangers standard.

Stupid buy, but with Walters good signings there will always be gash signings like this.

Boyd cost 400k if im correct and has had a very good return for what we paid for him, Velicka was never worth 1 million.

However its not Velickas fault we paid that price.

One thing we seem to be over looking our future boss Ally McCoist

Velicka's purchase was recommended by Rangers' assistant Ally McCoist

Now the two players that have been spotted by McCoist are Kirk Broadfoot and Velicka :anguish:

McCoist record in spotting a player isn't putting forward a great case for him to be the man to succeed after Walter (td)

I personally think it's very hard to label Velicka as "shite" and a waste of money when he's never really been given the opportunity to prove himself at Ibrox. So far he came off the bench twice in games against Kaunas and started two SPL matches. In those two SPL games which he started he scored one goal which gives him a better SPL scoring record than Kris Boyd :pipe:. Velicka has never been given a chance at Ibrox and I feel sorry for him. I think he could have done a job for us as he has a good scoring record with every club he's played for.

Filed under 'another bizarre case from Rangers management.'

Boyd was ahead of him most of the season but there's been a good few games where Boyd has been rank and deserved to be dropped. What's wrong with keeping players on their toes, ie if they know they'll be dropped for someone else if they don't keep up the performances?

Lithuanian footballer.... Does anybody know though one Lithuanian player which would be Top level?

Deividas Semberas - CSKA.

Marius Stankevicius (sp) - Sampdoria.

Tomas Danilevicus (sp) - Livorno.