Nazi Flag over Ibrox

McBoyd

have you got the date the swastika was used as a symbol for peace before the nazis hijacked it

Well its a Scotland v Germany game. (1936)

Scotland won 2-0.

Im guessing the germans brought it with them!?

Just saw a picture of this in a Rangers Photograph book.

Whats going on there? :unsure:

Wouldn't jump to conclusions, the Swastika is a very generic symbol with loads of meanings and used in lots of different contexts. Its a Buddhist symbol for peace for example

Just saw a picture of this in a Rangers Photograph book.

Whats going on there? :unsure:

Wouldn't jump to conclusions, the Swastika is a very generic symbol with loads of meanings and used in lots of different contexts. Its a Buddhist symbol for peace for example

Like said, it was a Germany v Scotland game at Ibrox, im guessing the germans brought it with them.

And it would have been i guess, before anyone in Britain really knew how bad the Nazi regime was? ('36)

Mind you, Rangers and Scotland goalkeeper Jerry Dawson tried to make light of the situation: he dabbed a small black moustache on his upper lip and pulled his hair over his right eyebrow. "Dat's good fonny," a visitor remarked, trying hard not to show offence.

Well in Dawson :lol:

I know there's a picture somewhere of the England national team all doing the Nazi salute, so I guess it was just a sign of the times. Nobody really knew the extent of the horrors that would occur.

They flew it to welcome the German team, of which the Swastika was their national flag at the time (1936). The club and indeed the whole world was not to know what that symbol would come to mean in the future.

I thought that might have been what it was BITC :)

I know there's a picture somewhere of the England national team all doing the Nazi salute, so I guess it was just a sign of the times. Nobody really knew the extent of the horrors that would occur.

Aye i'd read about that before.

arsehapgood1.jpg

Just as a point of order. The SFA would have been in "charge" of the ground as it was an international. It would have been the SFA decision to put the Nazi flag up at Ibrox, irrespective of the meaning behind it (tu)

I believe they also put a Union Flag up at the Mecanno Dome for internationals as the hosts didnt have one as matter of course..... :craphead:

At the time , It wasn't a Nazi symbol.

It was a Nazi symbol, just back then Nazi Germany was seen by many as just another country.

The British Olympic team all gave the Nazi salute to Hitler during the openning ceremony in Munich prior to the outbreak of WW2

It was a Nazi symbol, just back then Nazi Germany was seen by many as just another country.

The British Olympic team all gave the Nazi salute to Hitler during the openning ceremony in Munich prior to the outbreak of WW2

I meant it wasn't used to represent the term Nazi as it is known today.

Yes it was, the Swastika was the national flag of Nazi Germany from 1933 to 1945.

It wasn't the sole national flag untill 1935 :D

Even then, tucks in nicely for the 1936 match then ;)

I see your point, but it represented Nazism which the West were wary of well even well before the war started. Everything never kicked off in 1939, was going on for years before hand.