Trouble after Old Firm games

DRUNKEN thugs were blasted by a top cop last night over the huge surge in violence after the weekend’s Old Firm clash.

Strathclyde’s Assistant Chief Constable John Neilson revealed serious incidents in the aftermath of Sunday’s showdown more than DOUBLED.

Officers on the streets had to deal with many more cases of attempted murder, brutal assaults, public disorder and breaches of the peace.

And domestic violence shot up by a staggering 88 PER CENT.

Police locked up more than 550 people on the day of the match — and ALL were boozed up.

ACC Neilson said violent incidents have peaked during the last three Celtic versus Rangers games.

He added: “Why would anyone hit their partner because a result did not go their way?

“This is the real picture of alcohol-fuelled violence when there is a game of football on — and there is absolutely no excuse for this level of violence.

“I want people to know this is happening across the whole of Strathclyde — and that something has to be done.

“People need to understand that the Government is doing its bit in a bid to reduce alcohol consumption and that we are doing our bit.

Murder

“And it is now their responsibility as adults to start behaving appropriately.”

This is the first time Strathclyde Police have revealed actual figures of the crime surge following an Old Firm clash.

It shows violent incidents peaked when the Glasgow giants played each other on Saturday, December 27, Sunday February 15, and last Sunday.

After the most recent game, the Cooperative Insurance Cup final, domestic violence rose by 88 per cent — to 231 cases — compared to the previous Sunday. There were also four attempted murders and 28 serious assaults, as well as 132 other assaults and 118 breaches of the peace.

On December 27, police logged 193 cases of domestic violence — a rise of 57 per cent compared to the average 123.

There were also 148 breaches of the peace and 116 assaults — a total of 264 offences compared to the average 182 — a rise of 45 per cent.

Serious and violent crimes more than doubled during the Old Firm game on Sunday February 15 — a rise of 113 per cent compared to an average weekend.

Cops also had to deal with one attempted murder and 39 serious assaults. There were also 147 breaches of the peace and 137 simple assaults. And police were called out to 185 incidents of domestic violence — a rise of 52 per cent compared to non-match weekends.

Mr Neilson insisted the fault does not lie with the football clubs, the players or the fans — but with the louts who sit and booze all day and then head out looking for trouble.

He said: “We would not say they are related to the football fans themselves as they are generally well behaved at the matches. But, afterwards, right across our villages, towns and cities the level of violence is through the roof.

“And our research shows that it is alcohol-fuelled and it is clear that it is related to those three days when the Old Firm were playing. I am not attributing this violence to the teams or the fans — but to the people who are out drinking all day.

“Crime, on average over the last three Old Firm games, was 113 per cent higher than during any other weekend.

“But the really concerning one is domestic violence which was 88 per cent higher than the previous Sunday.

“That is a huge increase and it is simply unacceptable. We also had to contend with 551 prisoners on Sunday. The weekend before we had just 204 — so that’s a rise of 170 per cent. And every single one of them was under the influence of alcohol. I am absolutely determined to stamp out the rise in violence at these times.”

Advertisement

Both Old Firm clubs said they work closely with police to combat unacceptable behaviour.

A Celtic spokesman added: “At all times we encourage positive behaviour from our fans. Celtic takes its social responsibility very seriously and works tirelessly through a range of initiatives to challenge all forms of unacceptable conduct.”

A Rangers spokesman said: “We encourage sporting behaviour and do not condone any form of violent or anti-social behaviour. We also support the police view that the actions of people causing trouble well away from matches is influenced by other factors.”

Scottish Women’s Aid said there is “no excuse” for the rise in domestic abuse after Old Firm matches. A spokeswoman added: “These figures represent a shocking increase. Neither alcohol or a football score is any excuse for these incidents.”

The link between football, alcohol and violent crime is set to be tackled by new body, Citizenship Through Football.

It includes representatives from the police, Government, the SFA, SPL and various other partner agencies.

Head of SFA security Derek Kirkwood said: “I am shocked to hear these figures — particularly on domestic violence. It appears there is a correlation between a football match and those levels of violence and we will work very closely with Government and the police to stop this.”

A Scottish Government spokesman said they are “committed” to reducing post-match trouble

I have said all alaong that all these 12.30 kick offs do is move the problem away from the ground, where it is easier to ploice, to the streets a few hours later, old firm games should be a 15.00 kick off on a sunday and they would be much easier to police.

DRUNKEN thugs were blasted by a top cop last night over the huge surge in violence after the weekend’s Old Firm clash.

Strathclyde’s Assistant Chief Constable John Neilson revealed serious incidents in the aftermath of Sunday’s showdown more than DOUBLED.

Officers on the streets had to deal with many more cases of attempted murder, brutal assaults, public disorder and breaches of the peace.

Police locked up more than 550 people on the day of the match — and ALL were boozed up.

ACC Neilson said violent incidents have peaked during the last three Celtic versus Rangers games.

He added: “Why would anyone hit their partner because a result did not go their way?

“This is the real picture of alcohol-fuelled violence when there is a game of football on — and there is absolutely no excuse for this level of violence.

“I want people to know this is happening across the whole of Strathclyde — and that something has to be done.

“People need to understand that the Government is doing its bit in a bid to reduce alcohol consumption and that we are doing our bit.

Murder

This is the first time Strathclyde Police have revealed actual figures of the crime surge following an Old Firm clash.

It shows violent incidents peaked when the Glasgow giants played each other on Saturday, December 27, Sunday February 15, and last Sunday.

After the most recent game, the Cooperative Insurance Cup final, domestic violence rose by 88 per cent — to 231 cases — compared to the previous Sunday. There were also four attempted murders and 28 serious assaults, as well as 132 other assaults and 118 breaches of the peace.

On December 27, police logged 193 cases of domestic violence — a rise of 57 per cent compared to the average 123.

There were also 148 breaches of the peace and 116 assaults — a total of 264 offences compared to the average 182 — a rise of 45 per cent.

Serious and violent crimes more than doubled during the Old Firm game on Sunday February 15 — a rise of 113 per cent compared to an average weekend.

Cops also had to deal with one attempted murder and 39 serious assaults. There were also 147 breaches of the peace and 137 simple assaults. And police were called out to 185 incidents of domestic violence — a rise of 52 per cent compared to non-match weekends.

Mr Neilson insisted the fault does not lie with the football clubs, the players or the fans — but with the louts who sit and booze all day and then head out looking for trouble.

He said: “We would not say they are related to the football fans themselves as they are generally well behaved at the matches. But, afterwards, right across our villages, towns and cities the level of violence is through the roof.

“And our research shows that it is alcohol-fuelled and it is clear that it is related to those three days when the Old Firm were playing. I am not attributing this violence to the teams or the fans — but to the people who are out drinking all day.

“Crime, on average over the last three Old Firm games, was 113 per cent higher than during any other weekend.

“But the really concerning one is domestic violence which was 88 per cent higher than the previous Sunday.

“That is a huge increase and it is simply unacceptable. We also had to contend with 551 prisoners on Sunday. The weekend before we had just 204 — so that’s a rise of 170 per cent. And every single one of them was under the influence of alcohol. I am absolutely determined to stamp out the rise in violence at these times.”

Advertisement

Both Old Firm clubs said they work closely with police to combat unacceptable behaviour.

A Celtic spokesman added: “At all times we encourage positive behaviour from our fans. Celtic takes its social responsibility very seriously and works tirelessly through a range of initiatives to challenge all forms of unacceptable conduct.”

A Rangers spokesman said: “We encourage sporting behaviour and do not condone any form of violent or anti-social behaviour. We also support the police view that the actions of people causing trouble well away from matches is influenced by other factors.”

Scottish Women’s Aid said there is “no excuse” for the rise in domestic abuse after Old Firm matches. A spokeswoman added: “These figures represent a shocking increase. Neither alcohol or a football score is any excuse for these incidents.”

The link between football, alcohol and violent crime is set to be tackled by new body, Citizenship Through Football.

It includes representatives from the police, Government, the SFA, SPL and various other partner agencies.

Head of SFA security Derek Kirkwood said: “I am shocked to hear these figures — particularly on domestic violence. It appears there is a correlation between a football match and those levels of violence and we will work very closely with Government and the police to stop this.”

A Scottish Government spokesman said they are “committed” to reducing post-match trouble

I have said all alaong that all these 12.30 kick offs do is move the problem away from the ground, where it is easier to ploice, to the streets a few hours later, old firm games should be a 15.00 kick off on a sunday and they would be much easier to police.

This shit about a result not going their way. If it wasn't that it would be too much salt in the mince or some other feeble excuse.

Scum is scum, doesn't matter if it wears a football top or not !

:angry:

Ive got a sore right hand after sunday and i nearly broke my foot. I had 2 of the creeps singing out the back and the dog was barking like fuck at them. Its a staffie so i was tempted just to let it out at the cunts, but after my daughter go woke up from the carry on i went out and dealt with them myself taking a good bit of my frustration out in the process. Sue me!!

“Why would anyone hit their partner because a result did not go their way?

sorry but wheres the facts that the 550 arrested were all rangers fans?

Its been a slow news week so the sensationalist scottish press dip to new lows.

Im sure there was a similar article about Scotland fans after our defeat against the Italians

The article in the Scottish Sun, goes on to reveal the extent of the problem following the last 3 Old Firm games, and it makes grim reading for any law abiding citizen

Let me just state right now, that I wholly condemn any one guilty of such crime, and of violent disorder of any kind. I’m from the old school that believe such behaviour is worthy of a custodial sentence, and I dearly hope that anyone guilty of any of these offences faces the full might of the Scottish justice system.

Sadly, one has to read between the lines, or be eagle eyed to spot one statistic not mentioned in the Scottish Sun’s article.

Have you spotted it yet?

This thought occurred to me upon hearing the story, before I had the chance to read the gruesome detail for myself.

Who won, and who lost the Cup Final?

Celtic won, and Rangers lost.

What about the two league games referred to on December 27th and February 15th?

Did Rangers win any of these games? Don’t bother checking. They didn’t.

Have the Scottish Sun, or Strathclyde Police provided figures for the August 27th match, where Rangers defeated Celtic by 4 goals to 2? No.

The clear inference here is that Rangers supporters are the group who take out their frustrations on their other halves, and on the innocent public, when they fail to win over the other side of the Old Firm.

Now, while some of us know that Celtic fans can celebrate winning the championship by smashing up their hosts’ stadium, while both physically and verbally abusing their home support, this is not the implication that objective readers will arrive at. After all, the Celtic board allegedly paid Kilmarnock to keep it quiet about smashing their stadium up, after apparently paying them to fix the seats, on the condition that the press wouldn’t be contacted. What they didn’t count on was that some Kilmarnock supporters would do just that, and while the mainstream press didn’t cover it, the local press did, and Kilmarnock fansites had the pictures posted as proof.

That aside, I wouldn’t be foolish enough to try and push the blame on to the Celtic support for the recent upsurge in post match crime. I am simply explaining that the implication of guilt amongst the Rangers support may not be all it seems.

The exclusion of data for August 27th may be a coincidence, and it may not, but it does seem rather odd, don’t you think?

Are the media and Strathclyde Police that hell bent on denigrating our support that they will sink so low as to paint an edited picture of crime figures to paint the Rangers support as drunken wife beaters fighting on the streets of Glasgow? It certainly seems so.

Again, I will stress, for anyone who missed it first time that I wholeheartedly condemn these sorts of crime. It disgusts me, which is why it’s even more disgusting to imply this only happens when Rangers don’t win an Old Firm Game.

The irony is not lost on this bear that the sheer hypocrisy of newspapers pouring negative hype on either side of the Old Firm both before and after these games most probably causes further arguments, and resentment between both sides of the Old Firm divide, when the inevitable cat calling, and moral posturing starts.

The fact is, that while there are some low lives that associate themselves to football clubs, there are newspapers and journalists who propagate the issue around the Old Firm, and are never held accountable for their actions, when some lunatic takes out their frustrations on someone.

It’s irresponsible, and I hope they can look themselves in the mirror each morning, knowing that they have most probably been a contributing factor in the figures they themselves have publicised.

BBC Scotland has just ran this story as the lead item on it's early afternoon news. Film footage taken at Ibrox, interview with a senior polive officer, and Newscaster interviewing a correspondent live in the studio. Five minutes of a thirteen minute broadcast. As Saphire states, the 3 games quoted do NOT involve a Rangers win, and opening footage from Ibrox is suggestive.

BBC Scotland has a ton of previous on this aspect. Last year on an item on old firm violence that was broadcast througout the day, and culminated in a studio discussion on Newsnicht, BBC Scotland chose footage filmed in front of Ibrox to highlight the problem. Blood soaked Rangers supporters were aggressively gesturing to the cameras and gesticulating at a dozen youths running away. Stones were being thrown.

What BBC Scotland failed to explain was, the footage was library footage taken in the aftermath of the 2003 Scottish Cup final. The teambus was arriving at Ibrox, the cup had been won in a 3-2 victory over ra Sellik. A dozen youyhs from the recently knocked down Hinchelwood estate deliberately attacked gathering Rangers supporters. Stones rained down on cars being parked and one 13 year old rushed forward and struck a Rangers supporter alighting from his car, on the head with a claw hammer. The footage shown was the reaction to those events. The 13 year old was not arrested, he was on the boat to the Republic of Ireland that evening.

Thus, all discussion on that day was to the background of Rangers supporters acting aggressively. No footage of ra Yahoos was shown.

BBC Scotland has just ran this story as the lead item on it's early afternoon news. Film footage taken at Ibrox, interview with a senior polive officer, and Newscaster interviewing a correspondent live in the studio. Five minutes of a thirteen minute broadcast. As Saphire states, the 3 games quoted do NOT involve a Rangers win, and opening footage from Ibrox is suggestive.

BBC Scotland has a ton of previous on this aspect. Last year on an item on old firm violence that was broadcast througout the day, and culminated in a studio discussion on Newsnicht, BBC Scotland chose footage filmed in front of Ibrox to highlight the problem. Blood soaked Rangers supporters were aggressively gesturing to the cameras and gesticulating at a dozen youths running away. Stones were being thrown.

What BBC Scotland failed to explain was, the footage was library footage taken in the aftermath of the 2003 Scottish Cup final. The teambus was arriving at Ibrox, the cup had been won in a 3-2 victory over ra Sellik. A dozen youyhs from the recently knocked down Hinchelwood estate deliberately attacked gathering Rangers supporters. Stones rained down on cars being parked and one 13 year old rushed forward and struck a Rangers supporter alighting from his car, on the head with a claw hammer. The footage shown was the reaction to those events. The 13 year old was not arrested, he was on the boat to the Republic of Ireland that evening.

Thus, all discussion on that day was to the background of Rangers supporters acting aggressively. No footage of ra Yahoos was shown.

A bloody sham - incredible how easy it is for people to pull stuff out of context and run with it. This is why "dignified silence" does nothing at all to help the club.

Issues like this simply must be addressed PUBLICLY as soon as they are discovered. Shame on our higher-ups if they neglected to do so.

What do they expect with all of the mixed marriages these days?

Seriously though the inference is that it is all down to the big nasty Rangers fans.

Surely every one of the 200+ that were arrested the previous week is as big a problem as each individual arrested on the day of an old fim game.

We live in a lawless society where life and respect have little or no meaning to a lot of the 'underclass'.

Aye the timing of this piece is awesome!

As we continue to fight back (as I hope y`all are; via yer local MP/emailing the rags that

continue to selectively choose their headlines) let's not lose sight of our main goal: Parity.

Given equallity through the press would show them up for what they are. SCUM!

Scum is as Scum does.

i remember a few years back i was in house and my 2 mates came down covered in blood asking if i could take them to hospital

it was day of old firm game but the fight they had with others was a family fued but in hospital all the nurse and doctors were asking was !" did you get injured because of the game"

after telling them 10 times assault had nothing to do with football i think they never put it down as football related but the impression i got was that they wanted to put all assaults down as football related

on a side note being sober that night you could pay me a million quid a year and i wouldnt do the job these a&e staff do as they have to put up with some shit

Reference the Domestic Abuse issue, I remember when Gazza admitted his guilt in this regard. Any number of talking heads had their say, of course they were invited by both broadcast abd print media to do so. At the old firm game at the Stydome in November of that year, it seemed every Yahoo had an A4 placard proclaiming Zero Tolerance, waving them when Gazza was on the ball.

In the last few years, we have had Sellik Chairman, John Reid subjected to wholly legitimate claims of sexpesting by fellow MP, Dawn Primarolo. Not a word from the usual suspects, no invitations from the media to Zero Tolerance to reiterate their piece. Further, Sellik skipper, Neil Lennon abandons his then pregnant girlfriend and regularly threatens her with text messages, including, "you will feel pain" and, "I will hurt you". Again no invitations extended to various groups involved in Domestic Abuse to vent their spleen on the back of such a high profile character. It would appear that both Reid and Lennon did NOT put ra TIC in DomesTIC Abuse.

The latest suggestion of rising domestic abuse through losing a cup final might well find it's outlet in the Sunday broadsheets. I suspect the demonisation and marginalisation will continue.

The Rangers Celtic game is an easy one for the authorities to hang their coat on as the reason for violence in this country. The government are negligent here and looking for excuses. The place is wall to wall with junkies and the excrement dumped from eastern europe. Instead of harassing the easy targets like motorists and the tax paying public they should be gettin off their arses and tackling the scum that walk the street every day of the week, not just on, hate using this expression 'old firm' day. They are hiding behind the red tape created by blair and co, the country and the decent people in it are fcuked ! :sherlock:

The Rangers Celtic game is an easy one for the authorities to hang their coat on as the reason for violence in this country. The government are negligent here and looking for excuses. The place is wall to wall with junkies and the excrement dumped from eastern europe. Instead of harassing the easy targets like motorists and the tax paying public they should be gettin off their arses and tackling the scum that walk the street every day of the week, not just on, hate using this expression 'old firm' day. They are hiding behind the red tape created by blair and co, the country and the decent people in it are fcuked ! :sherlock:

The point I was making and I'm sure twas the OP's too is the timing of this disclosure.

It paints a picture of The RFC got beat and the voilence soared! ie. we cannae take it and......

That was my take on it. Then again, I am quite sensitive!

The point I was making and I'm sure twas the OP's too is the timing of this disclosure.

It paints a picture of The RFC got beat and the voilence soared! ie. we cannae take it and......

No I agree with you they are trying this one on, and it's coming from jhungles in the authorities, one of the points I'm making is our own kind although in the majority within the authorities have chucked it and are capitulating to them. They are trying to pair us with the wife beaters and terrorists within the bheggar community instead of doing their jobs and arresting and convicting them, they are taking the easy way out but somewhere all this will come home to roost. :sherlock:

Murder

Advertisement

This shit about a result not going their way. If it wasn't that it would be too much salt in the mince or some other feeble excuse.

Scum is scum, doesn't matter if it wears a football top or not !

:angry:

This guy's attitude/opinion is right. Scum is scum, f*&k all to do with football. These lowlife's would soon find something

else to kick off about!

It just p*sses you off how the media tart up figures for a non-story.

It's just as important to be a good winner as a good looser and since timmy can do nothing with dignity we know where the blame lies.

So far as there being a lot of assaults and the like last weekend would you not expect that to be the case after a Hampden game because a lot of fans from both sides have been "mobilised"

Stop Press.

Rangers blamed for another of Scotland's social problems.

Next week; how the bigoted, wife-beating, litter-dropping, racist hooligans are responsible for unemployment figures.

lol aye thats about right, its always our fault!!! who cares anyway.