Post a memory of Davie Cooper

Tontospal

Hard to put one in front, so I'll go for a less obvious one, Parkhead (Durrant and D Ferguson's OF debuts) I'm in the Rangers end watching Coop getting blootered all over the park by Sellik esp. P Grant. so Coop in front of the jungle launches himself from miles away at Grant halves him in two, does not even wait for the red card. My mates in the jungle said he turned to the jungle and smiled as Grant is writhing in agony.

My No1 memory of Coop was the reverse pass to Durrant when we won 1-0 against celtc in the first old firm game under Souness.

durranty got me my ticket for this game and the next day my mate carried him shoulder high from grapes to his mums house

he was singing "who put the ball inthe celtic net--- me-- me

anyway back on track still think coops finest hour was the replayed scottish cup final against united when we won 4-1

the goal he scored in the old skol cup final against aberdeen at hampden i was at the other end of the ground and you could hear the whoosh of the ball hitting the net

theres a story going round that leighton told davie he nearly saved it to which the great man said was that was on the way back

left the club too early best player i ever seen in a rangers jersey people should remember that the players he played with davie mitchell,colin mcadam etc with all respect were not international class if davie had have been 10 years younger and joined at the same time as souness the amount of goals he would have set up would have been considerable

great memories of a true ranger god rest him

My No1 memory of Coop was the reverse pass to Durrant when we won 1-0 against celtc in the first old firm game under Souness.

My first OF game that one....what a pass. Aitken didn't have an earthly where the ball was. I doubt he'd have been as miffed even if he'd been megged! That's exactly the kind of vision only Coop had. Didn't need to be a 60 yard bending pass with the outside of his foot...just a clever 'blind' 5 yard pass could take out 2 or 3 players in an instant. Also laughed when he used to give other players a roasting for having the 'Mitre' sign the wrong way up when they passed to him.

I really can't say enough about this guy. Far too many memories. From the simple things like, watching him gladly sign autographs outside the stadium on match day, to the stunning goals. From the deft drop of that left shoulder, to the thundering free kicks.

One thing that I awlays..always think of when I think of Coop, is that wry smile he gave when he scored & pointed that finger.

There's really not too many players at Rangers that I can genuinely say that I 'loved', but Coop is certainly one of them.

Miss ya Davie!

got to be his mazy run in europe cant remember who against put he beat about 5 men then put it on a plate for robert fleck n he was celebrated infront of the copland before fleck had even hit it. One of a kind. Loved it when gullit said he was the best player he had ever came up against.

got to be his mazy run in europe cant remember who against put he beat about 5 men then put it on a plate for robert fleck n he was celebrated infront of the copland before fleck had even hit it. One of a kind. Loved it when gullit said he was the best player he had ever came up against.

Yves Tampere of Finland I do believe

The OF game where he tore them apart single handed and scored, i think he took the ball and lobbed an oncoming defender in one touch.

Last memory was sitting in a bar in the Kitzbuel Austria with an early morning pint and it came on the Austrian news about his death, i was gutted.

Not a footballing moment, would be too hard to choose one of those. But I remember waiting outside Ibrox with my best mate at the time Andy, waiting for autographs. Andy knew I was a huge fan of Davie Cooper fan so when Coop came out of the building he yelled over, "Here's Cooper!!"

DC stops, goes over to Andy and says, "What's my name?" Andy stammers back, "Davie Cooper". And he says, "Just Davie is just fine". Absolute class. We thought we were the champions ourselves, being on first name terms with Davie Cooper. What a gentleman.

I have met many Rangers players over the years and many of them were very polite, kind and appreciated the excitement of the young fans. But I've never forgotten Davie Cooper being willing to let a couple of wee boys from Ayrshire feel like they were his equals.

Rest In Peace.

My memory of Coop was not any game,pass or goal but the fact he bled blue and would have played for Rangers for nothing.

If i have to pick one though it would be his goal in the 86 league cup final when we beat the beggars with a late pen.

He slotted it away and was lifted by McCoist or Fleck and shouted to that shite."FUCK YE "

Top man :praise:

I can remember before a game he was out on the pitch at the piggery, or hampden, Davie Cooper practicing shooting into an empty net at the sellik end. First shot, hits the bar, all the tims go mad jeering and giving him dogs abuse. Second shot, hits the bar, all the tims agiain give him dogs abuse, third shot, hits the bar, no reaction fae the tims, forth shot, hits the bar. David Cooper takes a bow, turn his back and runs off down the tunnel. World class.

Never forgotten. :praise:

When you think about that, weve got a couple of players now who could hardly even hit the Copland Rd stand with a shot, never mind the bar.

Signing my wee boys autograph book when we seen him out and about in Glasgow , took time to chat and not just small talk must have spent a good 10 -12 mins talking to us .

Pure class nuthin to much trouble it seems ,

Of course many goals also , but for me that just said it all about Super Coops , pure class both on and off the field

I can remember before a game he was out on the pitch at the piggery, or hampden, Davie Cooper practicing shooting into an empty net at the sellik end. First shot, hits the bar, all the tims go mad jeering and giving him dogs abuse. Second shot, hits the bar, all the tims agiain give him dogs abuse, third shot, hits the bar, no reaction fae the tims, forth shot, hits the bar. David Cooper takes a bow, turn his back and runs off down the tunnel. World class.

Never forgotten. :praise:

When you think about that, weve got a couple of players now who could hardly even hit the Copland Rd stand with a shot, never mind the bar.

That is a wonderful story, thanks for posting mate. (tu)

People nowadays have a hard time understanding just how good he was, especially in such a mediocre league.

He was before my time which is a shame so I have no memory of seeing him play in the flesh or on tv. However was he not one of STV pundits during our run in the inaugural champions league? Pretty sure he was but he was on scotsport a lot at that time. Hazy memories though....