Free football

Free football for Villarreal's unemployed fans

Villarreal will offer unemployed season-ticket holders free passes in 2009-10 to help fans feeling the effects of the global economic crisis, president Fernando Roig said on Tuesday.

''Season-ticket holders who are on the dole will be allowed in free next year,'' Roig told a news conference.

''The idea is to think of the club's wider social base and those who have been unlucky to lose their jobs so they can continue to watch football in the Madrigal.''

Roig added the club's board, coaching staff, players and sponsors would combine to set up a fund to help subsidise the plan, with the precise details agreed in the next few weeks.

Striker Joseba Llorente gave his backing to the scheme.

''We are keen to get involved because it seems like a good idea considering the times we are in,'' he said.

''There are many people without work and it's a shame if they don't come to the stadium because of this.''

Villarreal are fourth in the Primera Liga and face Arsenal in the quarter-finals of the Champions League next month.

I thought on the dole was a british term?? Nonetheless, a great gesture from Villarreal, getting to watch spanish football for free? wow. I might move to Spain

Surprised that they can afford this.

Ill tell u how they can afford it they are charging arsenal fans £72 for a ticket for the away leg of their quarter final. Read it on skysports news last night.

Scandalous!!!!!!!!!!

Due to the economic downturn, and fact a lot of fans wont be able to afford their ST's next season, this is an excellent gesture.

I heard this on the radio last night and am sure its only fans who currently have ST's but are not renewing due to having lost their jobs.

The Players and club officials will put money into a fund to help pay for the tickets..

Fair play villareal.

:clap: :clap: