Lafferty back for the Hearts game

robgersfan51

KYLE LAFFERTY has handed Walter Smith a boost ahead of the crucial SPL run in by declaring himself fit for this weekend's Ibrox meeting with Hearts.

The Northern Ireland star has been missing for over five weeks after suffering an ankle injury the last time the Tynecastle club made the trip to Govan.

But after fearing that his season was over, the news that Lafferty will now be available for Rangers' final five league matches and the Scottish Cup final will come as a timely lift for the 21-year-old.

The eight goal striker has returned to training with the rest of the first team squad this week and hopes to make the bench against Hearts on Sunday.

He said: "I've trained with the squad for the second time today and I'm available for selection on Sunday which is a big bonus for me.

"When I first got the injury I thought that was my season finished. I kept hearing it would be two months but then when I was told 4-6 weeks it gave me something to aim for.

"It's about five weeks since I did it now so I'm really happy with that. I had been doing well in the first 35 minutes or so against Hearts before I came off with the injury and now I'm just hoping to get a run out and maybe a goal at the weekend.

"But I think it would be harsh on the lads that have come in if I went straight back in to the starting line up because they have done really well and gone on a great run.

"So I know it is going to be difficult to get back in the team. I just have to work hard in training and if I get a chance in the game I need to show what I can do again.

"Of course everybody wants to be involved in the run in and if we go about things the right way we should be ok. Hopefully I can play a big part in that now."

I'm sure Walter will want to give Lafferty some game time if he's on the bench, but we still don't know for sure who'll start up front. Boyd & Vellicka? Boyd & Miller? Maybe even Vellicka & Miller, although that's less likely.

"But I think it would be harsh on the lads that have come in if I went straight back in to the starting line up because they have done really well and gone on a great run.

You're spot on Kyle. I like the player a lot, big fan of his now, but he doesn't just have the right to waltz straight back in while the current side is winning every match.

Walter doesn't see it that way though, hence dropping Dailly despite his displays and bringing Papac back in first chance he got.

great news for us. I wouldnt start him against hearts but i would give him half an hour at the end, in his proper position that is. He was pulling the hearts defenders all over the place last time. If he had stayed on i have no doubt we would have won that match and be top of the league.

More options can only be a good thing. Was starting to look the part before he was injured, unfortunately Boyd and Velicka are on fire at the moment so I cannot see him starting games quite yet.

glad to hear lafferty is coming back.

when he first joined us i was a little bit worried he wouldn"t do a job for us but he seemed to be finding his feet there before he got injured,and a good rangers man which is always a good thing!!

someone who knows what the club means to the fans and won"t give up a fight!!!

More options can only be a good thing. Was starting to look the part before he was injured, unfortunately Boyd and Velicka are on fire at the moment so I cannot see him starting games quite yet.

(tu)

I wonder if he'll get fitted in somewhere? Smith at Lb, him at LM?