Kris Boyd's Ibrox future still in doubt

Prolific striker celebrates scoring a hundred goals for Rangers but realises he could still be sold to balance the books

Kris Boyd admitted yesterday that he still didn't know if he has a long-term future at Rangers, despite having just joined the prestigious band of players who have scored 100 goals for the Ibrox club.

The prolific striker was speaking in the aftermath of his 100th goal in 146 games for Rangers - only 112 of which he has started - against St Mirren at Hampden Park last Saturday. It has taken Boyd the best part of two years to win over his manager, Walter Smith, as a regular starter, and his battle for first-team status at Rangers may not be over yet.

Boyd suffered the minor indignity of being put up for sale last January, when Rangers tried to off-load him to Birmingham City for £3million, and the scenario may repeat itself soon.

“It is up to the club to sort out my future,” Boyd said. “I have a year left on my contract and it's up to Rangers to speak to me and do what they want. I'm not going to go chapping on doors saying I want this or that. The club can do whatever it wants.

“I've stated that I don't want to leave here but I know the financial state that Rangers are in. There's not much I can do if there is an offer for me and it is accepted by Rangers. Obviously, there was one accepted for me in January and I don't know if it will happen again in the summer.

“For me, the main focus is just to stay on the park and keep scoring regularly. If that means I am rewarded with a new contract or not, that is up to the club. But I won't go demanding things. It's up to me to carry on doing what I am doing on the park.”

The striker claimed to understand the position of Rangers, whose debt has climbed back up to in excess of £25million, while also suffering one of their worst seasons financially after being deprived of the arena of European football.

“I think everyone knows about the state the club are in financially,” Boyd said. “So when that [birmingham] bid came in, Rangers maybe saw it as a chance to get some money in. That is probably why they acted as they did.

“I didn't feel hurt by it. At the end of the day it is about being a business, which is what Rangers are. If it means they have to get money in, then that's the way it goes. I could have gone but I decided to stay and, hopefully, I can be rewarded by staying in the team, scoring more goals, and winning the double this season.”

Boyd has had his fair share of troubles in his three-and-a-half seasons at Rangers, having to win over both Smith and Paul Le Guen, the former manager, as well as having to cope with a split-decision on him among many Rangers fans, some of whom rate him, others who remain severe critics of his style. Leaving the club, he said, had been a consideration.

“Obviously, [leaving] goes through your mind, but I think you just need to focus on the job you are doing, and if you do get a chance, hopefully you can get in the team and stay there, and now I'm doing that,” he said.

“When I left Kilmarnock I knew what I was coming to. I knew what it would take to succeed at a club like this, and even when I haven't played, I've had the mentality to get my head down and work through it.

“When I look back on things that happened, maybe they happened for a reason, and you just have to move on from them. I also used to think that scoring goals was all that was needed, but I think I've matured, I think I now know that scoring isn't enough - you also have to help the team.”

The Rangers support, he says, is something he knows inside out. Having grown up a Rangers fan, Boyd admitted that criticism simply comes with the terrain.

“I think [criticism] applies to everybody,” he said. “I grew up a Rangers fan and I'm in daily contact with Rangers fans. Some people like you, some don't - that's life, you get on with it. To tell you the truth, it doesn't really bother me. As long as I am playing and scoring, I'm happy. So long as I keep maturing as a striker, I'll be fine.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle6194746.ece

TBH we wouldn't be in this mess if walter had some sense during the summer window players bought to late when we got fucked out of europe then a 2million bid rejected for mcculloch from stoke and a measley million quid accepted for cousin complete mismanagement and i f we dont get the automatic champions league spot we will have to pay for it

I was going to delete this in light of it being Queers who wrote it, but I was generous and put it in Transfers instead.

Even though it Britney it's still a Kris Boyd Interview on his future.

Queers' mere association with any published literature regardless of its content immediately tars it with a distasteful brush.

I was going to delete this in light of it being Queers who wrote it, but I was generous and put it in Transfers instead.

Even though it Britney it's still a Kris Boyd Interview on his future.

Queers' mere association with any published literature regardless of its content immediately tars it with a distasteful brush.

Yeah he has a lot to answer for but before this verges well off topic, lets just take it for what it is a Interview on Kris Boyd that actually puts him in a good positive light.