Players numbers

numansnewman

man u are seemingly going to retire giggs number

brazil retired pele"s number

why dont we retire davie cooper"s

on say.. his aniversary ?

Coop was my hero. I had 11 on the back of my first ever Gers top, the first cr smith umbro.

I don't agree with the whole "Retire the Number" practice at all. There should always be a Number 11 jersey at Rangers for a youngster to aspire to. It would give me great pleasure to see someone claim the shirt and be compared in glowing terms with Davie. We've been too long without a player of his class.

The fact that the jersey remains and is seen every week by the fans is more of a reminder of the great times that Davie gave us than some poorly handled, cheesey retiring the shirt ceremony that we'd be subjected to by the pre-match entertainment organisers.

I don't agree with the whole "Retire the Number" practice at all. There should always be a Number 11 jersey at Rangers for a youngster to aspire to. It would give me great pleasure to see someone claim the shirt and be compared in glowing terms with Davie. We've been too long without a player of his class.

When I first heard about retiring numbers I thought it was a good idea but you make a very good point. Such a good point, you've probably changed my mind on the subject.

United can just rename Old Trafford after Giggsy instead.

When I first heard about retiring numbers I thought it was a good idea but you make a very good point. Such a good point, you've probably changed my mind on the subject.

They've already done that At Bury Fc it's called Gigg Lane

They named the stadium after Ryan Giggs 100 years before he played his first professional game :pipe:?

Seriously though, what an honour that would be for Giggs, to have Man Utd ditch its world famous stadium name for you. I suspect he'll get a statue erected in the near future.

They named the stadium after Ryan Giggs 100 years before he played his first professional game :pipe:?

Seriously though, what an honour that would be for Giggs, to have Man Utd ditch its world famous stadium name for you. I suspect he'll get a statue erected in the near future.

I think they'll name a stand after him just like The Bill Struth Stand at Ibrox

I'm sorry, but Cooper isn't even the best number 11 to have played for us in my opinion.

A certain Brian "Prince of Denmark" Laudrup was the most spectacular number 11 I have ever seen at Rangers. His level of consistency made a mockery of the old saying that wingers dont turn it on every week. His pace, strength, passing, crossing, scoring, and eventually at Tannadice, heading, were a joy to watch and to me he is miles ahead of Cooper.

Cooper was a genius, with the skill and trickery to beat any defender, but far too often didn't perform to scratch. I admit to not seeing him for his entire career at Rangers, but older bears I have discussed this with generally accepted he was the shining light in a very poor team, but too often was missing in games. Imagine the abuse he would get now for a similar performance!!

I am not for retiring jerseys, my proposal to formally recognise our very best legends would be to name parts of the ground after them. Instead of BF5, you have the Davie Cooper section, etc.

Wouldn't it be great to say you sit in the Jock Wallace section, or the Ralphy Brand section. All bears would soon know exactly where you sit by the name of the legend your area is named after.

I am not for retiring jerseys, my proposal to formally recognise our very best legends would be to name parts of the ground after them. Instead of BF5, you have the Davie Cooper section, etc.

Wouldn't it be great to say you sit in the Jock Wallace section, or the Ralphy Brand section. All bears would soon know exactly where you sit by the name of the legend your area is named after.

I would agree with that

once you start then as someone said where would you stop!!!

sayin we should retire number 11 because of cooper same could be said about number 9 mccoist

Yep. Im against retiring numbers. I dont think there would be many Ranger players that would support it either

Don't agree with retiring players numbers, once you start going down that route were does it end.

You'd be retiring tons of numbers :lol:

1 - McCloy/Goram

9 - McCoist

11 - Cooper/Laudrup

etc etc..

I'm sorry, but Cooper isn't even the best number 11 to have played for us in my opinion.

A certain Brian "Prince of Denmark" Laudrup was the most spectacular number 11 I have ever seen at Rangers. His level of consistency made a mockery of the old saying that wingers dont turn it on every week. His pace, strength, passing, crossing, scoring, and eventually at Tannadice, heading, were a joy to watch and to me he is miles ahead of Cooper.

Cooper was a genius, with the skill and trickery to beat any defender, but far too often didn't perform to scratch. I admit to not seeing him for his entire career at Rangers, but older bears I have discussed this with generally accepted he was the shining light in a very poor team, but too often was missing in games. Imagine the abuse he would get now for a similar performance!!

i couldnt disagree with this post mate

remember nearly causing a riot in a boozers when i said coops (he was amazing when he wanted to be)had as many bad games as good

i think the only way i would agree to retiring a number was if a player currently playing died whilst at the club

i couldnt disagree with this post mate

remember nearly causing a riot in a boozers when i said coops (he was amazing when he wanted to be)had as many bad games as good

i think the only way i would agree to retiring a number was if a player currently playing died whilst at the club

pele wasnt playing with brazil when his number was retired

but it in old days..numbers meant something..now its silly squad numbers..

so i think out of numbers 1--99..number..11 would not be missed