Fergie - Boyd Not For Sale

Peterborough boss Darren Ferguson has said Scotland new-boy George Boyd is not for sale.

Boyd was called up to the Scotland 'B' squad after Ferguson discovered his grandfather was born in Lanarkshire.

Celtic have been keen on Boyd in the past, but were scared off by the price tag put on his head by the Posh, and Ferguson has revealed he would not welcome any more approaches.

"I wouldn't put a price on his head," Ferguson told the Daily Record.

"And I wouldn't listen to an offer for him if I got one.

"The only way I'd feel trapped in a moral dilemma would be if a Premiership club came in for George during the summer."

Boyd was signed from non-league Stevenage Borough for a Conference record of £260,000 in 2007, and Ferguson believes the 23 year-old winger's career is only just beginning.

"He might be a Championship player now, but in many ways George's career is only just beginning.

"We're all glad to see him get his chance with Scotland at this stage because, to be truthful, it reflects well on Peterborough and what we're trying to do."

Rangers have also been linked with a bid, but Posh director of football Barry Fry does not believe the Old Firm giants have the funds to sign Boyd.

Fry told the Daily Express: "Celtic have been sending scouts to our games for some time and I know that Darren spoke to Walter Smith about George.

"I don't know how far that has gone, but I can tell you right now that we would only sell George if an offer of silly money came in. Right now, I don't think that kind of silly money exists in Scotland.

"We've been saying to Premier League clubs interested that George can go if we get an offer of £5million, but I don't think it will happen.

"There has been no official contact with Celtic or Rangers in terms of concrete offers being made, but they've had scouts at our games in recent weeks as well.

"In fact, I'd say there will be a scout from one of those two clubs at nine out of every 10 games we play."

'The White Pele' as he was known by Stevenage fans, has made six appearances for England's 'C' team, but now has chance to shine with the Tartan Army and Ferguson wants Boyd to benefit from the experience.

"I've told him to join the Scotland squad and enjoy the experience to the full.

"I just hope he sees plenty of the ball and gets the chance to express himself the way he does for us at club level.

"Whatever happens I know he won't be judged on the strength of one game

I wouldn't be suprised if this is a ploy by the powers that be in an attempt to raise the profile of the player and squeeze as much money as is possible out of any interested clubs south of the border.

Don't think so to be honest, this guy Boyd and another one of their players (a striker I believe) earlier on in the season the Posh put a 5 million price each on their heads to scare away any possible bidders as they really don't want to lose any of them due to the club's own aspirations.

Would be funny though if we had two Boyd's starting for the Gers though!

Sounds like Barry Fry is wanting to cash in on Boyd and testing the market.

If it was £500,000 we might be in the running, but i severely doubt we'll have £5million in our transfer budget next season.

If he's asking £5m for THAT boyd we should be asking £10m for ours :lol:

If it was £500,000 we might be in the running, but i severely doubt we'll have £5million in our transfer budget next season.

If we were in a better financial situation and Kris Boyd had a longer contract, yes we should be looking for a higher value than £5million.

funny he mentions no one can afford him but keeps mentioning us two up here, think hes hoping he can cash in or maybe get some players from us, adam aint exacatly been a flop down south has he

You missed a 0.

£5mil is a joke, gets a little media attention and now he's Pele.