Sick of all the PC brigade

minstral

All this talk of 'history', very little talk of the future, have a look around you guys, see which way the wind is blowing.

The arrogance of the assumption that our 'protestant identity' somehow needs the Orange Order is bizarre. I've stated before the OO is an irrelevant organisation, the vast majority of us have no connection to it and no desire to have, what's so difficult to understand about that? Modern 'Protestantism' in Scotland has very little to do with Orangism, seems to me Rangers stance is entirely in keeping with the stance of the vast majority of Scottish Protestants, therefore they mirror our 'Protestant heritage' perfectly. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the numbers of people who'll march through Glasgow during the next Orange parade? Bet more protestants go to Braehead that day, do you want them to have a march round Ibrox too?

At the end of the day we are known as a Protestant club no matter what spin that you put on it. :)

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, they will claim to be a Protestant, ask them if they believe in God and they don't. Religion is dying, thankfully. It is the root of all evil. What a life it would be without it.

I think that's it in one Dietspam.

Nothing worse than hearing someone say: "I support Rangers/Celtic therefore I'm Protestant/Catholic."

I do not see myself as a Protestant, as you say. Definitely Athiest, as I don't do the whole Church thing. That's not to say that I'm not fiercely proud of our club's roots though, as I am and will always defend them.

Great, as long as folk remember that we were formed in Glasgow in 1872 by lads from the Gareloch, not in the shadow of Harland & Wolff's 'Samson & Goliath' as is often implied. The Ulster connection took hold in the 1920s (50 years into the club's existence), when the Belfast shipyard H&W opened a shipyard in Glasgow. As said before, not denying our heritage but it's definitely a case of the tail wagging the dog as far as I'm concerned.

So My dad wasn't talking shite then? That's how it pretty much happened?

You should try and read up about our history and find out about our support.

Or people can just answer a simple yes or no.

Sure, they will claim to be a Protestant, ask them if they believe in God and they don't. Religion is dying, thankfully. It is the root of all evil. What a life it would be without it.

Nothing worse than hearing someone say: "I support Rangers/Celtic therefore I'm Protestant/Catholic."

I do not see myself as a Protestant, as you say. Definitely Athiest, as I don't do the whole Church thing. That's not to say that I'm not fiercely proud of our club's roots though, as I am and will always defend them.

Great, as long as folk remember that we were formed in Glasgow in 1872 by lads from the Gareloch, not in the shadow of Harland & Wolff's 'Samson & Goliath' as is often implied. The Ulster connection took hold in the 1920s (50 years into the club's existence), when the Belfast shipyard H&W opened a shipyard in Glasgow. As said before, not denying our heritage but it's definitely a case of the tail wagging the dog as far as I'm concerned.

You should learn about our clubs history, before saying yes or no, and i would suggest at one time that Rangers were proud of their connection with the OO before Murray stopped the Parade.

You should learn about our clubs history, before saying yes or no, and i would suggest at one time that Rangers were proud of their connection with the OO before Murray stopped the Parade.

no doubting this for a second minstral but where are all these people then? you know all the ones that belted out the songs and had ibrox bouncin and were proud of their heritage, there seems to be a distinct lack of them inside Ibrox on matchdays

no doubting this for a second minstral but where are all these people then? you know all the ones that belted out the songs and had ibrox bouncin and were proud of their heritage, there seems to be a distinct lack of them inside Ibrox on matchdays

People are now scared to sing at Ibrox for fear of being thrown out or even jailed, but at the away games the songs are still going strong. Also some of our home crowd use the club as a hobby and once the game is over tthey dont give our club another thought until the next game.

All this talk of 'history', very little talk of the future, have a look around you guys, see which way the wind is blowing.

The arrogance of the assumption that our 'protestant identity' somehow needs the Orange Order is bizarre. I've stated before the OO is an irrelevant organisation, the vast majority of us have no connection to it and no desire to have, what's so difficult to understand about that? Modern 'Protestantism' in Scotland has very little to do with Orangism, seems to me Rangers stance is entirely in keeping with the stance of the vast majority of Scottish Protestants, therefore they mirror our 'Protestant heritage' perfectly. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the numbers of people who'll march through Glasgow during the next Orange parade? Bet more protestants go to Braehead that day, do you want them to have a march round Ibrox too?

At the end of the day we are known as a Protestant club no matter what spin that you put on it. :)

Yes, yes you keep saying that, well done. Now perhaps you'll explain what being a Protestant and the Orange Order have in common in 2009 please? There are about 800 Million Protestants, who many are in the Orange Order again? No one I've seen has denied our being seen as a 'Protestant club' no matter how accurate that might be, all the spin is coming form you and your fellow Luddites.

Yes, yes you keep saying that, well done. Now perhaps you'll explain what being a Protestant and the Orange Order have in common in 2009 please? There are about 800 Million Protestants, who many are in the Orange Order again? No one I've seen has denied our being seen as a 'Protestant club' no matter how accurate that might be, all the spin is coming form you and your fellow Luddites.

Plenty have denied that we are a Protestant club, and of course the OO and rangers links are not as strong since our owner who could not tell you our history never mind our traditions. You know why, because he is to friendly with the tims and wants to be seen to have nothing to do with our Protestant traditions, and would rather allow a Celtic strip with Lennon on the back displayed on the wall at our club.

Plenty have denied that we are a Protestant club

The Rangers are so much more than that. Certainly our proud heritage and traditions are largely (but not exclusively) Protestant, but I was always raised to understand that Protestantism was progressive, welcoming and inclusive. Most of all - respectful.

I always hope for our greatest of clubs to reflect that. But, as I said, for me we are and always have been much, much more.

Plenty have denied that we are a Protestant club

The Rangers are so much more than that. Certainly our proud heritage and traditions are largely (but not exclusively) Protestant, but I was always raised to understand that Protestantism was progressive, welcoming and inclusive. Most of all - respectful.

I always hope for our greatest of clubs to reflect that. But, as I said, for me we are and always have been much, much more.

Moses you are correct, but in the old days fans viewed Rangers as a community, a way of life with a strong Protestant identity.

I find it astonishing there is even a debate on here if Rangers are known as a Protestant club!

I was born and raised in a stuanch Protestant , church going family. My Grandfather was an elder in the Church of Scotland for over 40 years.

Their was only one club our family could support!

What saddens me nowadays is what people percieve being a protestant to be.

Some seem to think shouting ' F.T.P ' every other Saturday, and hating all things celtic is all that it involves.

The values of the church,family and community are what it should be about , and supporting OUR team respectfully.

I don't know that much about the O.O, so i can't comment on its links with Rangers, but upholding traditions and values can

only be a positive thing in this day and age?

PC is dyin on it's arse and the enemy, apologists and handwringers know it, they like the bheggars are on the run. They actually thought we'd buckle under pressure, nae chance gypsies time for you to hitch up yer caravans and go home or suffer the consequences. :sherlock:

eh?

You know fcukin whit ! :sherlock:

People are now scared to sing at Ibrox for fear of being thrown out or even jailed, but at the away games the songs are still going strong. Also some of our home crowd use the club as a hobby and once the game is over tthey dont give our club another thought until the next game.

fair enough (tu)

i agree with that, tbh there is hardly a moment when im not thinking about the Gers (tu) (bar the odd few of course ;)

This thread gives me the boke,

OUR club is being attacked from all sides and there agenda is clear,

Our custodian is mostly to blame for this as he has allowed the chip chip chip mob to gather momentum.

It appears that it is now a crime in this country to display your protestant heritage or be patriotic, or to voice your distain for republican terrorist groups.

people died in this country for our religious freedom, Our MPs and local government and our media are controlled by people who wish to see the demise of our club. These people make up 16% of our population, They have been allowed to do this because of apathy in our community.

This thread sums up the apathy more than I ever could.

In over 35 years of watching Ranger FC, home away and in europe I have never came accross any of these PC brigade. I would say that the vast majority of our support have connections to the OO, ABOD, Flute bands, Masonic and are Unionist protestants. These people and their families have always made up the bulk of our support.

I really cannot relate to some of the posts on here

What is actually wrong with celebrating the links to Protestantism, the Monarchy and the union?

Can someone answer this?

The media in Scotland criticise these aspects of our club, mainly the Protestant link because of sectarian incidents which are the result of none of the traditions we celebrate.

Why do we "Have to move on" ? Because someone on here said so? Because it's the 21st century and for some unknown reason that means we have to "move on" ?

Why do we not apply that logic in everything else? To hell with St Andrews day. Get rid of Christmas. We should no longer celebrate Easter. It's the 21st century FFS!

A little off topic but - those saying Religion is the root of all evil or that it is "dying out, thank god". Have you ever gone to church and practiced a religion...Or have you just attended Sunday school?

What is actually wrong with celebrating the links to Protestantism, the Monarchy and the union?

Can someone answer this?

No issues with anyone supporting Protestantism, the Monarchy and the union, there are worse things to support!

But what the fuck have these issues got to do with supporting Rangers? Its about the FOOTBALL!

Plenty have denied that we are a Protestant club, and of course the OO and rangers links are not as strong since our owner who could not tell you our history never mind our traditions. You know why, because he is to friendly with the tims and wants to be seen to have nothing to do with our Protestant traditions, and would rather allow a Celtic strip with Lennon on the back displayed on the wall at our club.

Hey Minstral you must be getting dizzy with all that spinning you're doing, that's two posts in row you've actually simply avoided answering the question. I'll try again, HOW MANY WORLD/SCOTTISH/GLASWEGIAN PROTESTANTS ARE IN THE ORANGE ORDER? C'mon Minstral your the Tony Blair of the Luddite Brigade, you must know the answer.

Can someone answer this?

That's not what the thread is about, read Minstral's first troll, sorry post, again, he specifically asks for Flute bands and Orange parades, you're changing the subject.

The media in Scotland criticise these aspects of our club, mainly the Protestant link because of sectarian incidents which are the result of none of the traditions we celebrate.

Do they, do you have any examples of the media criticising us for being 'Protestant'?

Why do we "Have to move on" ? Because someone on here said so? Because it's the 21st century and for some unknown reason that means we have to "move on" ?

Humanity 'moves on' it evolves and goes with the times, if it doesn't it dies out, simple fact of life I'm afraid.

Why do we not apply that logic in everything else? To hell with St Andrews day. Get rid of Christmas. We should no longer celebrate Easter. It's the 21st century FFS!

Agree, St Andrews day is ridiculous no problem getting rid of it. Don't imagine many would complain if you got rid of Easter either, as long as they still got the time off. Christmas ceased to be anything but a shopping fest and winter family get together for most people along time ago, but it's a pretty big, universal holiday and so far as I can see bears no comparison to Orange Parades at Ibrox, but I'm happy to stand corrected.

A little off topic but - those saying Religion is the root of all evil or that it is "dying out, thank god". Have you ever gone to church and practiced a religion...Or have you just attended Sunday school?

Does it matter, I've only ever been in a mosque once but I'm no fan of Islam either.

Too many people peddle religion symbolically around here, in association with Rangers, in frankly a crass and insulting manner.

It's no better than Boruc abusing Catholicism at Ibrox.

I get the feeling that without Rangers, the majority of proud proddies here wouldn't give a flying funk about their religion - and with Rangers they see it as something which makes us so different from timmy.

It's about one upmanship and not true faith.

Can someone answer this?

No issues with anyone supporting Protestantism, the Monarchy and the union, there are worse things to support!

But what the fuck have these issues got to do with supporting Rangers? Its about the FOOTBALL!

Sorry BP9 , It's about way more than the football mate . Aye ,and you fcking know it too !!

Lay down that bong and defend our faith (tu):uk:

Think just About every one Knows we are A Protestant club And want to be A Protestant club.

Cos alot of us are priced out the game now and we're told what to sing and how to sing.

alot of people in Ibrox now were born after Souness took over and are happy to sit on their hands and accept mediocrity and being told what to do.

Most bears who sang their hearts out are in their 40's ,50's and 60's now and have families to support and can't afford every match anymore

Can someone answer this?

Sorry BP9 , It's about way more than the football mate . Aye ,and you fcking know it too !!

Lay down that bong and defend our faith (tu):uk:

glad that b wasn' a d!

I know it is more than football - its abount standards - respect, dignity, integrity and sportsmanship! We all agree Rangers have those qualities now, the past and will have in the future!

:cheers::5260::uk:

Hey Minstral you must be getting dizzy with all that spinning you're doing, that's two posts in row you've actually simply avoided answering the question. I'll try again, HOW MANY WORLD/SCOTTISH/GLASWEGIAN PROTESTANTS ARE IN THE ORANGE ORDER? C'mon Minstral your the Tony Blair of the Luddite Brigade, you must know the answer.

How can i give you the answer when i dont know, but one thing i do know is Rangers are a Protestant club and if you dont like it to bad. :)