David Weir

papaguy51

Hear me out and read the post properly before slaughtering me here :)

Right, as you all know I'm one of Davie's biggest fans. Whenever we have a 'Walter's best buy?' thread, I always vote for Davie. For the last couple of years, we wouldn't have won a thing if it wasn't for him.

He's absolutely superb in the air, rarely misses a tackle when he gets close enough to put one in and generally brings out the best in whoever he plays alongside.

But...

I'm starting to see the beginnings of a really good team here. Whittaker is growing into his role, Papac is solid and Bougherra is the bee's knees. Move into midfield and we have an array of talent that wouldn't look out of place in a decent Premiership side. The combination of Mendes, Davis and Edu is easily the best in the SPL, one I wish we'd use more effectively in terms of playing three centrally.

Then in the attacking midfield/strikers role, we have the likes of Aaron, Fleck, Novo, Lafferty, Miller and Boyd.

So in my opinion, there's a really good footballing side in there. Here's the problem;

Even though we've had success last year and the year before, I still feel that the team sits back way too deep in order to protect Weir's lack of mobility. I've said for years that I don't think he's got any slower since 34, but the more I think about it, the more I worry about it.

I'd love to see us with Bougherra and mobile tough tackler who can also find a pass. I think the team could move ten or fifteen yards up the park and impose themselves on matches more. The amount of games in which we've whimpered to a draw when the opposition were there for the taking has been a gripe for me, and I wonder if it is in part down to sitting so deep in order to avoid any damage from a swift counter.

I think he could possibly get away with it if his distribution was better, but the 'Davie Weir punt' is something we've seen too much of since his move from Everton. Even when there's a simple square pass on, he'll often send it into another postcode and give posession back to the other side.

This isn't a 'I hate Davie Weir' post, nothing like it. It's more of a 'Time to be realistic about a 39 year old defender' sort of thing. In Europe and the harder games where we sit a bit deeper and look to break ourselves, I'd still play him.

But in games where we're expected to go and attack, I'd look at bringing someone else in. The amount of points we'd recoup from turning those draws into victories would be priceless, and we need to give ourselves the best chance of doing that.

I agree that if possible we should be looking to bring fresh legs in to partner Bougherra, but the financial situation at this time won't allow that. Certainly won't allow the quality we're looking for anyway.

The only thing I would like to see us try is Edu at centre back. He's played there for club and country so knows the position. With everyone fit, the midfield is Davis-Mendes-Thomson for me, so Edu could well be on the bench......unless he's given a shot at centre back.

Would be a shame to leave a talent like Edu on the bench. At the very least, he's got to be a better option there than Broadfoot or McCulloch if Bougherra or Weir are out due to injury/suspension.

I think it was Muff that pointed out that Weir will not be able to play Saturday/Wednseday/Sunday and we will need an experienced CB in to partner Bougherra (provided he is not sold) and to provide more competition.

When we are in Scottish Cup and League Cup action we could ease the likes of Wilson and McMillan in to gain some first team experience.

But we need a new CB, especially if Bougherra is sold.

I was hoping last season was Weirs swansong, I think he WILL cost us this season if he plays all the time age will catch up with him.

It would be a shame if this happens because he has been a very good signing, and has done a grand job but..................

I think it was Muff that pointed out that Weir will not be able to play Saturday/Wednseday/Sunday and we will need an experienced CB in to partner Bougherra (provided he is not sold) and to provide more competition.

When we are in Scottish Cup and League Cup action we could ease the likes of Wilson and McMillan in to gain some first team experience.

But we need a new CB, especially if Bougherra is sold.

I think we'd need two if Bougherra is sold.

i think weir should have left the club on a high after captaining the side to the double. He is a good defender but his lack of pace is concerning me.I hope it doesnt cost us this season. We definetly need another experienced centre back. Danny wilson can profide competition but lets face it if weir was to get injured before a CL game we cant just chuck wilson in for his debut against real madrid or chelsea. We need someone with experience. With webster and dailly gone our options are broadfoot, papac or mcculloch. Its a scary though, none of them are anywhere near good enough in the position for the champions league, we would get torn to shreds.

The thing with Wilson is that everyone is saying you can't chuck him in - how else is he meant to get experience?

Ferdinand, Terry, Cannavaro and Jamie Carragher were all 'chucked in', why can't the same happen to Wilson?

The thing with Wilson is that everyone is saying you can't chuck him in - how else is he meant to get experience?

Ferdinand, Terry, Cannavaro and Jamie Carragher were all 'chucked in', why can't the same happen to Wilson?

(tu) correct! if there good enough then they are old enough :angry:

He should play every week. Hes a fantastic defender. He is as fit as most 28-30 year olds you see playing most weeks. Not to mention he is a top drawer defender. His last 2 partners, boogie and cueller have both said he is their best ever partner.

(tu) correct! if there good enough then they are old enough :angry:

Aye agree I remember the manks chucking in Darren O,Dea against Barca a couple of years ago and to be fair he had a very good game.

The way it looks these boys are going to be bleed in this season, so for most of them it may well be sink or swim.

Decent OP but until we get a new CB Davie is it. Wilson will get a few games in cup games. I would quite like Tonel but at £2.5M (rumoured) can only see us going for him if Bougherra leaves !

Just a small point about the OP arguement to play further up the pitch to protect Davie in CL games - no matter who we have we wont go gun ho in CL so cant see real issue in Weir playing if he is what we have!

Decent OP but until we get a new CB Davie is it. Wilson will get a few games in cup games. I would quite like Tonel but at £2.5M (rumoured) can only see us going for him if Bougherra leaves !

Just a small point about the OP arguement to play further up the pitch to protect Davie in CL games - no matter who we have we wont go gun ho in CL so cant see real issue in Weir playing if he is what we have!

I said I'd play him in CL games BP, for that very reason.

We won't be attacking anyone for 90 minutes, that's for sure.

I agree wholeheartedly with papa, we need a new CB and keep DW as cover.

I'd ideally get a younger lad in and use them 50/50.

I also think if it's time to blood a youngster, it has to be now when he can benefit and learn from Weir. It'd seem like a waste if we didn't.

davie weir has been a great signing for us,id admit that i wasnt sure when he came but what a job he's done but if he were to make a mistake(god forbid) then we'd all blame his age and that would'nt be fair to the guy.not to mention yhe press he'd get slaughterd.

I said I'd play him in CL games BP, for that very reason.

We won't be attacking anyone for 90 minutes, that's for sure.

Under Walter Smith, thats for sure! (tu):lol:

For me I would play Wilson in an emergency. DW is fine for now unless his legs go. We played DJ at 16 and he managed to thrive. Let Wilson have his chance in an emergency. it wont do him any harm. Perhaps it will do him and us a world of good.