Lampard on John Terry's possible move to City: “I don't know what he will do,”

Boab

John Terry's future at Chelsea appeared even more uncertain yesterday after Frank Lampard said that he has no idea whether his close friend will stay at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea are confident that their captain can be persuaded to snub advances from Manchester City and commit his future to the club where he has spent his entire professional career, but Lampard is less convinced.

The England midfield player is one of the few people at Chelsea to have spoken to Terry about the dilemma he is facing and has at least some idea of what he is going through, having rejected the opportunity to rejoin José Mourinho at Inter Milan last summer. Lampard is desperate for Terry to stay, but defends his right to explore all the options available and insists he will be remembered as a Chelsea legend whatever happens.

“I don't know what he will do,” Lampard said. “I've been in John's position, but everyone at the club wants him to stay. I had an option to leave last summer, to go with a manager who I love, but it came at a time in my life that, maybe, just wasn't right.

“But the situation made me think an awful lot. It wasn't an easy decision, either, and I don't think people should criticise John. The fact is you can never take away what he's done for Chelsea. He'll always be a legend. I hope and I'm confident that, whatever happens, he will continue to be considered a legend here.”

Chelsea are preparing to increase Terry's £135,000 weekly salary in response to the £200,000-a-week five-year contract he has been offered by City. Peter Kenyon, the Chelsea chief executive, joined the club's pre-season tour to the United States in Seattle on Saturday with a mandate from Roman Abramovich, the owner, to open negotiations, but Lampard believes that Terry's decision will not be based on money. Chelsea are also talking to Didier Drogba, Ashley Cole and John Obi Mikel about contract extensions, but none of their players is likely to sign until they return to England next week.

“People should respect his right to choose,” Lampard said. “When you're a successful player this kind of thing is going to happen and then you have to make a decision. John's a very honourable man and it doesn't come down to money and things like that.

“I know John. I know he'll be thinking about what's the right thing to do as a player and, in the longer term, for his career. No one should doubt that John Terry wants to be successful. No one should doubt that John Terry is a winner. This is not just about the money and people shouldn't try to make it that black and white.

“It's understandable because it's Manchester City who have come in, but it's up to John what happens. All I can say is that I'm very proud each time I play with him and, as a club, you want to keep players like John Terry. It's as simple as that.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle6719687.ece

What do you think he should do?

Frank was pretty fair and honest with his assessment IMO

I can see him going

City know they need 2 top centre backs to make there forward spengding worthwhile

No point in scoring 2 if you let in 3.

For that reason alone I believe they know they can get Terry and Lescott and will throw money at it because it would be dosh well spent.

A spine of Given, Terry, Lescott, De Jong and Barry is VERY strong. Would allow the flair players to do there thing.

Interesting times.