Kenny Mcdowall not sure if he'd become next assistant under Ally

Boab

by Thomas Jordan

KENNY McDOWALL says he isn't automatically in line to become assistant manager at Rangers if Ally McCoist ever replaced Walter Smith.

The Ibrox first-team coach has been tipped for a more high-profile role when Smith calls time on his career.

McDowall says another vital member of the Rangers backroom staff, Ian Durrant, could be handed the role.

He said: "I'm not sure if I would become Coisty's assistant as him and Durranty are close mates.

"I'd like to think I'd still be part of the group, as I've got a good relationship with them and our thinking is not too far away from each other.

"In which position I don't know."

McDowall admits he is happy working away in the background at Rangers rather than grabbing attention.

He said: "Being in the public eye is not something I've ever strived for.

"I've always worked away, doing my job and I've not done too badly - it's got me here doing it that way.

"As long as Walter is happy with what I'm doing, that's the most important thing for me. Walter deserves the profile as he's earned it, and Coisty is very much the same."

McDowall remains grateful for the opportunity to be handed a first-team role at Rangers, although he hardly knew Smith and McCoist prior to his arrival at the club.

"I knew Coisty from playing against him, but I didn't know him socially," he said.

"I had met Walter at a few coaching courses but couldn't say I knew him that well. So I was honoured to get that call.

"I know Walter, Coisty and Durranty have been close friends for some time and to be allowed into that group is great."t

Publication date 20/07/09

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2520985.0.0.php

Its nice that he doesn't assume but I don't see why he wouldn't be involved, even if not the 2nd in command.

How was it that he was actually selected for the role of first team coach then? Who at Ibrox gave him the job? Seems a bit strange when the club seem to be recruiting "Rangers men" since Walter and Ally came back. (I am very happy with him btw - just incase some one thinks I'm not.)

How was it that he was actually selected for the role of first team coach then? Who at Ibrox gave him the job? Seems a bit strange when the club seem to be recruiting "Rangers men" since Walter and Ally came back. (I am very happy with him btw - just incase some one thinks I'm not.)

Seemed to be Walter.

Seemed to be Walter.

I agree, I'm sure Walter will have said who he wants as his backroom staff, Kenny may not have known Walter and Ally socially but Walter at least will have known all about Kenny's attributes as a coach and his ability.

Kenny is a "Rangers man" :clap:

I think he will be the next assistant but wether its him or Durrant im not to botherd tbh. I think we have a good wee back room staff group building up

I totally agree with the sentiment shared here, quality backroom staff have played a central role in our recent successes. You can't fault coaches like Adam Owen, Kenny McDowall and Durrant when our rivals are hiring the likes of Neil Lennon.

I totally agree with the sentiment shared here, quality backroom staff have played a central role in our recent successes. You can't fault coaches like Adam Owen, Kenny McDowall and Durrant when our rivals are hiring the likes of Neil Lennon.

(tu) Couldn't agree more. We have a great backroom staff and Neil Lennon is just a laughing stock for them.

While I think our backroom staff is fine, I wonder if we would have gotten the same replies if we had been pipped for the SPL title last season?

I wonder though at times if our medical staff is any good having seen both Bazza and Shagger being brought back too soon and Naismith struggling like heck.

wouldnt say adam owen is doing too well tbh i dont know whose fault fitness is but he is head of sports science

David Weir being retained as a defensive coach is a must

get yer family up here Davie

While I think our backroom staff is fine, I wonder if we would have gotten the same replies if we had been pipped for the SPL title last season?

I wonder though at times if our medical staff is any good having seen both Bazza and Shagger being brought back too soon and Naismith struggling like heck.

I was just thinking the same thing.

If celtic had won their last two games and won the league this place would be in meltdown.

Demands for Walter smith to go and take his whole backroom team with him.

Have folk on here forgot just how bad we were last season.

I was just thinking the same thing.

If celtic had won their last two games and won the league this place would be in meltdown.

Demands for Walter smith to go and take his whole backroom team with him.

Have folk on here forgot just how bad we were last season.

That as they say is football. At the end of the day the unwashed were worse than us and we got the results when they mattered. In the previous season if we hadnt screwed up the league was ours and possibly the UEFA Cup as well.

Im just enjoying being Champions once again and looking forward to more consistent performances from the team this coming season.

Guest The Brown Brogue

If Ally is to become our next manager I would like to see him bring in Alex Miller as his assistant.