Anyone else worry about Thomson and Edu

nvager

KT will be doing the same pre-season as everyone else, and to be honest with the extra he did do to make himself fit enough for pre-season he is probably ahead of his team mates so really don't see him being a problem. Edu isn't getting rushed back and the staff will go with what the medics say, we also have enough cover I feel, as Naismith could be played on the left (irrespective of what anyone says), Mendes and Davis in the middle and possibly Novo, or Aaron on the right. Or Fleck in the centre with Mendes and Davis on the right, or Fleck on the left with Mendes and Davis in the centre and someone else on the right. We have many capable options.

I'm worried that Kevin Thomson may not ever be the player he was. I'm worried that too many people will expect too much from him at the beginning, and I'm worried that his latest knee injury will result in him picking up more niggling injuries.

We have seen it all before at Rangers, and around the World, let's hope this doesn't happen with Kevin Thomson, because if he can reach the level of performances he was showing, then he'll be a big player for us!

As for Steven Naismith; I'm not too worried. More concerned about him finding his form, and where he is going to play. He's been working hard since coming back from his injury last season, especially during the summer!

We definitely need to give them time thats for sure (tu)

Yes totally agree, I just hope that in Thomson's case people remember he is coming back from long term injury and don't jump on his back if his performances initially are not quite what they were expecting, it will come in time.

The pre season games will help a great deal. As I'm sure we are all well aware that there is a big difference between being fit and being match fit, it will be games they need to get their timing and positioning sorted.

One thing that might work in their, (and Rangers), favour, is the fact that we don't seem to be bringing in new players as yet. As both Edu and Thomson are used to the style of play and the players it may make their return to the team a bit easier.

Not too concerned about Edu right now, since he's not had as many bad injuries in his career to date AFAIK, but when he comes back I hope he's not rushed. Much more concerned about Thomson tbh. He's not someone we want to be getting injured at all, given that he's had several bad ones in his career. So far he's come back from them with flying colours, but that'll come to an end if he keeps getting injured badly. Fingers crossed that he stays injury free is all I can say.

FWIW, this is exactly why I think Adam will still be here come Sept' 1st. Better midfield option than McCulloch & when he's on form & given the chance, can score more goals from midfield than the much debated 'striker' Miller.

I dont think there fitness will be a problem - but their form may well be affected - Thomson has had a long lay off and no matter how fit he is it will be tough to regain the form immediately, and if he doesn't get back to form quickly I worry how he will be treated by the crowd (I mean we even turned on Fergie when he was in a similar situation so Thomson wont be exempt if his form doesn't pick up).

I alos worry about depth in Midfield at the start of the season if Thomson and Edu do need more time - although we still have Adam! (and McCollouch!)

I'm worried that Kevin Thomson may not ever be the player he was. I'm worried that too many people will expect too much from him at the beginning, and I'm worried that his latest knee injury will result in him picking up more niggling injuries.

We have seen it all before at Rangers, and around the World, let's hope this doesn't happen with Kevin Thomson, because if he can reach the level of performances he was showing, then he'll be a big player for us!

As for Steven Naismith; I'm not too worried. More concerned about him finding his form, and where he is going to play. He's been working hard since coming back from his injury last season, especially during the summer!

Were you not caddying for someone 'close to the club' who said that Thommo's knee was looking as strong as ever?

In saying that, coming back from that injury is as much a mental thing as it is a physical thing.

Guest therabbitt

Naismith was fit before even he could have imagined in his wildest dreams. The end of last season was almost like a prolonged pre-season if you ask me. Walter was never going to throw him in regularly with his fitness levels just coming back to him. For a player whose game is largely based on pace, he needed a long time to get back fit and raring to go.

Being in and around the first team, getting some game time and more importantly being able to hit preseason training running this year should let us be able to see the best from Naismith. Hopefully getting back to the form that made him one of the best players outside the Old Firm and one player that everyone was desperate to sign!

Edu I am not overly worried about. His game is not based on pace, its more based on physicality, calmness and short passing. He does need to run to get into positions, yet it is not explosive pace that he needs. Getting that first few yards of burst back is the most difficult thing to get back after an injury. Edu has the mental capacity to get himself into the positions he needs to be in without that pace. As soon as he gets his first few yards of pace back then he will be back to his best. Playing friendlies will be great for him.

Thomson, like Muff says, is the most worrying. Since he's been injured, he's been elevated to mythical proportions amongst some fans. He's had previous in coming back from career threatening injuries with success, so we can just hope that he can come back with the same vigour.

Naismith was fit before even he could have imagined in his wildest dreams. The end of last season was almost like a prolonged pre-season if you ask me. Walter was never going to throw him in regularly with his fitness levels just coming back to him. For a player whose game is largely based on pace, he needed a long time to get back fit and raring to go.

Being in and around the first team, getting some game time and more importantly being able to hit preseason training running this year should let us be able to see the best from Naismith. Hopefully getting back to the form that made him one of the best players outside the Old Firm and one player that everyone was desperate to sign!

Edu I am not overly worried about. His game is not based on pace, its more based on physicality, calmness and short passing. He does need to run to get into positions, yet it is not explosive pace that he needs. Getting that first few yards of burst back is the most difficult thing to get back after an injury. Edu has the mental capacity to get himself into the positions he needs to be in without that pace. As soon as he gets his first few yards of pace back then he will be back to his best. Playing friendlies will be great for him.

Thomson, like Muff says, is the most worrying. Since he's been injured, he's been elevated to mythical proportions amongst some fans. He's had previous in coming back from career threatening injuries with success, so we can just hope that he can come back with the same vigour.

Unlike Edu :rolleyes:

Guest therabbitt

I really feel like Edu has warranted all of the praise that he's been given!

I really feel like Edu has warranted all of the praise that he's been given!

Edu has done Well but he is nowhere near as good as some people make him out to be , he like thomson has a lot of potential to be that player but he isnt yet

Guest therabbitt

I think it was easy to lavish so much praise onto Edu as everyone was sick to the back teeth of Barry Ferguson, his behaviour and the way in which he played and sometimes inhibited play.

I think it was easy to lavish so much praise onto Edu as everyone was sick to the back teeth of Barry Ferguson, his behaviour and the way in which he played and sometimes inhibited play.

thats what i laugh about, all the blame was shunted onto Bazza when in actual fact it was his AND mendes to blame, they are too similar in the fact that they go hiding when the going gets tough so when played together we were over run through the middle. sometimes people need to take the blinkers off ( not you just in general)

Well first..

Can't compare a booze loving Baz to either. And Naismith came back way too soon.

No worries at all. Just the hype around Kevin is a concern. We all need to patient with him -- but I think is fitness is not an issue. Edu was essentially a minor injury.