Memory Lane

Skol

wow tremendous

though im convinced you have doctored this video, as my memory is that.......

1. i was sure boksic scored both there goals

2. i was sure mickhailechenko crossed for both goals

3. i was sure sauzee hit the bar with every shot he took

4. i was sure macswegan had headered from the half way line

5. i was sure barthez was bald

:pipe:

My abiding memory of that night was the torrential rain and getting completely soaked walking to the stadium. I still think about what might (and should) have been that season.

Great memories. Was a terrible match from our point of view for a good 60 minutes. So many misplaced passes. They struggled with the high ball all night though, and those were days when a player could actually challenge the 'keeper!

What an impact from McSwegan though. His 1st touch of the game (and in Europe) if I recall correctly.

My abiding memory of that night was the torrential rain and getting completely soaked walking to the stadium. I still think about what might (and should) have been that season.

Great memories. Was a terrible match from our point of view for a good 60 minutes. So many misplaced passes. They struggled with the high ball all night though, and those were days when a player could actually challenge the 'keeper!

What an impact from McSwegan though. His 1st touch of the game (and in Europe) if I recall correctly.

yup and in true walter smith style he flogged him to notts county at the end of that season for a couple of hundred grand

Remember that match like it was yesterday.

It was our first ever match in the CL group stage (oddly enough, as it was the first ever CL :lol:) and for 70 minutes I was almost in tears at how much better Marseille were. They swept us aside and that it was only 2-0 to them was quite astonishing.

Then suddenly McSwegan outta nowhere with that header, still probably the greatest header I've ever seen - it meant so much and was absolutely perfect.

Cue the fightback and Hateley's equalising header.

Fantastic night.

Was that the year we should have won the Champions League?

Not won, but competed the final against Milan. Marseille's Bernard Tapei was found to have match fixed in some league match in France I think it was which affected his club's European participation - I can't remember the exact details but we should have contested the final V Milan.

The first European campaign that I was able to watch on TV, it was heroic stuff, was watching this video the other week after someone posted in here. We should have been in the final and whats done is done, we can count that campaign as a moral victory though.

My abiding memory is bursting into tears when Hateley scored, couldn't believe it. They should make all new signings watch that whole season and tell them thats what is expected of a Ranger.

Ah, the video that got me into the Gers :)

Durranty's goal in the return leg also deserves a mention! Bending it like Beckham, so he was.

Have searched high and low for that on youtube - fortunately I do have it on my 5-in-a-row VHS video tape!

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, this will have to do in the mean-time...

My abiding memory is bursting into tears when Hateley scored, couldn't believe it. They should make all new signings watch that whole season and tell them thats what is expected of a Ranger.

I agree with this.

What a night..........my first European game at Ibrox with my uncle, we got absolutely slaughtered for 75 minutes then two goals and the place erupted. Fantastic night, the atmosphere will always live with me unbelievable :21:

Now you're talking Nisbet's goal was an absolute freak from about 25 yards out it struck off a defender and took the biggest deflection ever before bouncing over the keeper if memory serves?!

Yeah Trevor Steven smacked an attempted cross off McCall's back and it broke for Nisbet wide on the right. He then tried a cross but it skimmed a defender's outstretched leg creating loads of spin. The keeper came out to claim it, thought better of it and when the ball landed in the penalty box it dug in and changed direction through about 90 degrees and spun over the bemused keeper's head and into the net!

Commentator at the time shouting "it's the break and the stroke of luck that Rangers needed. It might be the biggest fluke in Europe this season but who cares! Rangers...are back in front". I used to watch that CL campaign for hours on end!

Great vid (tu) thanks for posting....

As you know 92-93 was the first ever European Cup in the Champions League format....

Back then tho, was a different set up compared to todays champs league....

Two leagues of 4 teams, with the top two playing in the final.....

We finished 2nd in Group A, just one win away from meeting AC Milan in the final....

I believed it finished 1-1 with Marseille in France, and then we had another chance to progress to the final in our last group game with CSKA at Ibrox but could only draw 1-1? Can anyone confirm this....

As you know 92-93 was the first ever European Cup in the Champions League format....

We finished 2nd in Group A, just one win away from meeting AC Milan in the final....

I believed it finished 1-1 with Marseille in France, and then we had another chance to progress to the final in our last group game with CSKA at Ibrox but could only draw 1-1? Can anyone confirm this....

We only drew with CSKA but it didn't matter as Marseille beat Brugge the same night. At a Q&A with Mark Hateley the other night he said he was approached and asked not to play in Marseille. He refused, of course, but was subsequently sent off against Brugge and didn't play anyway. The ref concerned was subsequently found guilty of taking bribes.

We only drew with CSKA but it didn't matter as Marseille beat Brugge the same night. At a Q&A with Mark Hateley the other night he said he was approached and asked not to play in Marseille. He refused, of course, but was subsequently sent off against Brugge and didn't play anyway. The ref concerned was subsequently found guilty of taking bribes.

that makes me so sick, im gonna puke. any more info on crappy tapei?

what pot are marseille in? we really need a revenge match - as keegan famously said ....."id love it, just love it if we beat them"