Walter on how Barry should be remembered

Boab

by Thomas Jordan

WALTER SMITH wants Barry Ferguson to be remembered as a Rangers legend - and not for the Boozegate fiasco.

Smith stripped Ferguson of the Ibrox captaincy following the drinking scandal and v-sign debacle which rocked Scottish football last April.

Along with team-mate Allan McGregor, Ferguson was then fined two weeks wages and suspended, but returned to help Rangers win the double at the end of the season.

Ferguson's future had been in doubt ever since and last week he sealed a return to the Premiership with Birmingham in a £1million deal.

But Smith hopes Ferguson will always be remembered by the fans for what he did during a combined nine-year spell that saw him win 15 trophies.

He admitted: "He has been a successful captain for Rangers. We've won championships so I hope he's remembered for that. I don't think anyone could ever question Barry's commitment to the club.

"I hope he's remembered for that rather than the one unfortunate incident at the end.

"It was the right time for Barry to move on, especially after that situation last season. If that had never occurred then it would probably have never have happened that he had to move on.

"He has done and he goes with all our best wishes as he was terrific for us over a period of time when I took over.

"The following season he played to a great level and played injured at the end of that season. That meant he missed out a lot at the start of last season so it was a slower start for him a year ago and he never quite found the level that he had before.

"Barry was just getting back injury-free before that unfortunate incident and he will do well down in England again."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2521214.0.0.php

If that had never occurred then it would probably have never have happened that he had to move on.

That concerned me, that worries me!

Why?

Cause I'd have wanted him moved on, if Boozegate hadn't happened.

Other than that, Walter is right in that he should be remembered for the good more than the bad.

You're reading too much into that Boab, he says especially since boozegate, not because of it. We knew Fergie was on his way out imo.

Aye, s'spose so big yin. I'll take that from the thread title now, I mention it in in the opening post anyway.

Tho meant that sentence mate:

If that had never occurred then it would probably have never have happened that he had to move on.

instead of:

"It was the right time for Barry to move on, especially after that situation last season.

My mistake, sorry.

Yes but Barry would have been here if Boozegate didn't happen.

Because it did...

It gave Walter the 'excuse' he needed to drop him,

We went on an unbeaten streak to clinch the title,

Players -- such as Whittaker -- started to come onto their own game,

We were a better team

And, we got rid of a selfish man.

So.. Boozegate won us the title, and strengthened the squad, and reduced our wage bill. Lastly, it put 1.25 mill in the bank. Than f*ck Baz is an alcoholic.

Yes but Barry would have been here if Boozegate didn't happen.

Because it did...

It gave Walter the 'excuse' he needed to drop him,

We went on an unbeaten streak to clinch the title,

Players -- such as Whittaker -- started to come onto their own game,

We were a better team

And, we got rid of a selfish man.

So.. Boozegate won us the title, and strengthened the squad, and reduced our wage bill. Lastly, it put 1.25 mill in the bank. Than f*ck Baz is an alcoholic.

Boozegate helped, but it wasn't the sole reason. Sheer bloody-mindedness helped us out as well, Aberdeen at home, Hibs away were travesties of games, just pure doggedness got us 4 points there when it could have been 0. Smith knows enough about how to get a team to grind out results as long as he has time between matches to make it work, unlike the 07/08 fixture shite.

Jesus people - Fergie has left - find another target for your negativity - remember what he did well for us - he caused little harm

I guess there are just so many people, even on here, that love to wallow in the mighty falling instead of glorying in being champions and looking forward!

Jesus people - Fergie has left - find another target for your negativity - remember what he did well for us - he caused little harm

I guess there are just so many people, even on here, that love to wallow in the mighty falling instead of glorying in being champions and looking forward!

I'm glad he's gone in the sense that it's a cracking bit of business for us and I wish him all the best at Brum. The ifs and buts of the deal and reasons behind it are done now anyway.

Cheers for the memories Fergie. THAT free kick will live on for years.

True... I'll add to my negative comments -- with some positives.

Barry was a great Captain imho. As McLeish pointed out.. He demands the ball against the best players in the world, anywhere in the world.

I believe he is a true leader. He can still rip a defence apart with the killer pass -- and that is not so much a skill as a gift.

I was a big supporter of Barry -- but I personally (which is daft) feel let down by him. God given talent -- but an arse of a man I suppose. I really hope he does well in the Premiership. Simply because it will make us look good.