Gerrard

First I have saw any details. Disgraceful if true.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090721/tuk-g...ow-6323e80.html

England footballer Steven Gerrard "totally lost it" and hit a man "with the style and speed of a professional boxer" during a row over music, a court has been told. Skip related content

The Liverpool captain launched the assault on businessman Marcus McGee, 34, after the victim refused to hand over control of a CD player at a bar last year, it was alleged at Liverpool Crown Court.

The 29-year-old, who denies afffray, was with friends at the Lounge Inn, in Southport, Merseyside, in the early hours of December 29 when his party clashed with McGee, a member of another group.

David Turner QC, prosecuting, told the court that Gerrard asked McGee for a card controlling the CD player, saying: "Here y'are lad. Give me that lad."

Mr Turner said: "Mr McGee took offence at his attitude and the expression 'lad' and he refused. Not many people on Merseyside, or indeed anywhere else, would refuse a request from Steven Gerrard but Mr McGee did.

"There can be no doubt that this refusal astounded Steven Gerrard. He walked away back to his party but the CCTV shows how much his mood had changed. He was no longer the centre of that high spirited party. He was clearly walking around pondering, musing over what had happened - about the man who said 'no' to Steven Gerrard."

After about six minutes Gerrard returned to the victim who was sitting alone at the bar and allegedly confronted him with the words: "Who the f*** do you think you are?"

Mr McGee, who was not a DJ but was in charge of music for the night, stood up to Gerrard, Mr Turner said. The pair were head to head, he said, "in the sort of hostile confrontation that is often seen between professional footballers". The barrister added: "Steven Gerrard had clearly lost his cool: he was angry with Marcus McGee."

The situation attracted the millionaire's friends. One, John Doran, who has admitted affray, pushed McGee away but "could not resist following through with his right elbow into Mr McGee's face", said Mr Turner.

"We say at this stage Gerrard totally lost it. Almost immediately after the blow from John Doran, in fact within seconds, Steven Gerrard joined in the attack with a succession of well aimed uppercut punches delivered with the style and speed of a professional boxer rather than a professional footballer."

Im pretty sure its been slightly exagerated, i think him and his pals knocked about a guy a bit.

Everybody has the odd mishap, Gerrard for me is an exceptional player who from what i gather is never really in bother and usually professional enough. It does seem a bit of an odd one to get so heated over.

he coulnd't go to prison could he? lol

3 years maximum for his charge.

Was just about to ask what he could expect if found guilty. If this is anywhere near the truth then I hope he is locked up.

Thats what the court reporter said. Bear in mind, thats the 'maximum'

No chance he will go to prison, with money and a great lawyer on his side.

He's been involved in loads of similar incidents and always gets away with it, he's just a typical common scouser who's gonna get in fights when he goes out.

It's easy to see it one way and then another, but it looks like he gets elbowed then retaliates.

It's a common pub fight but if he is to go to prison for it, the other guy should too.

It's easy to see it one way and then another, but it looks like he gets elbowed then retaliates.

It's a common pub fight but if he is to go to prison for it, the other guy should too.

That isn't Gerrard, that's the victim.

His co-accused elbows the guy first.

If anyone thinks that he'll get a 'fair' jury, they're mistaken.

I can see him getting away with it simply via a possibly biased jury.

Is it a jury case ? If so it's more serious than i first thought, especially as he is clearly lying. An example should be made of the wee shitbag.

If anyone thinks that he'll get a 'fair' jury, they're mistaken.

I can see him getting away with it simply via a possibly biased jury.

Is it a jury case ? If so it's more serious than i first thought, especially as he is clearly lying. An example should be made of the wee shitbag.

I've heard that the jury were asked to give extra 'oaths' (or whatever they call it) in order to keep this trial as fair as possible.

Let's not beat around the bush - if there's more than 50% Liverpool and/or club neutral England fans in there, they aren't going to jail Gerrard during a World Cup year.

Right.

The CCTV footage is thoroughly inconclusive and this case rests on witnesses.

Throw the book at him. Im sick of celebrities and sports people getting away with things that the normal person would get done for.

If it was a normal fight in a normal pub, it wouldn't even have been reported.

Right.

The CCTV footage is thoroughly inconclusive and this case rests on witnesses.

Agreed.

The only clear part is when SG is being restrained.